Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

When setting both which one should be set first when setting up a Left Main with a Left Sub?

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
The processor distance control introduces a time delay. Time delays affect all frequencies. For example, if the sub is 5 feet closer than the furthest speaker the sub output will be delayed by 4.4ms, so that sound from it arrives at the listening position at the same time as sound from that furthest speaker. Once those arrival times have been aligned via the distance settings, phase can be looked at.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The processor distance control introduces a time delay. Time delays affect all frequencies. For example, if the sub is 5 feet closer than the furthest speaker the sub output will be delayed by 4.4ms, so that sound from it arrives at the listening position at the same time as sound from that furthest speaker. Once those arrival times have been aligned via the distance settings, phase can be looked at.

Thanks John

With REW through the frequency response what would i be looking for e.g. flat, level (volume), crossover etc?

Is there a other easy way with REW?

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
Generally pick the phase setting that gives the flattest response through the crossover region.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
If you set distance with a tape measure then would that not cause a issue with the delay? Most subs add some delay to the signal which would add a few feet to there it would measure.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you set distance with a tape measure then would that not cause a issue with the delay? Most subs add some delay to the signal which would add a few feet to there it would measure.

I thought the Velodynes DDs were renowned for the delay?

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
No idea on that but with the amp I am using for my subs I end up about 3 feet more then what a tape measure shows. And my old sub which was a Velodyne was about 4 feet more in the same location.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts