Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow members,

I am trying to tune my active car audio setup. It has a 3-way active head unit.
I also have both the Dayton and Umik USB calibrated mics and a multichannel USB sound card.

Is there a concrete method in REW to both phase correct and time align the individual drivers. I have read that with JRiver 20 there is no need for a loopback connection. Is it true?
If not then can someone provide a guide to do it.

Thanks

·
Registered
106 Posts
gkannan, good question!! I've been wondering the same thing lately. I actually perform PHASE alignment of driver to driver interactions on a regular basis at work. I am a custom car audio installer by trade (15 yrs). The software that I use at work is Smaart7. However, I've been thinking lately that it may just be possible to do the same thing with REW. If your car audio system is fully active AND you have a signal processor that can add delay (.02ms minimum increments) then you're good to go. If not, then you're gonna need to be able to adjust the physical positioning of the individual drive units, difficult in most car audio scenarios, as the locations for speaker placement are usually more or less fixed. Anyway, the process is actually quite simple with software that can perform real time transfer function measurements, like Smaart or even the iOS app Audio Tools (by Studio Six Digital) which has an in app upgrade called "Transfer Function", which is almost identical to Smaart7 's transfer function mode. Plus, Studio Six Digital's transfer function app is roughly 1/10 the price of Smaart. Google "Smaart phase alignment" or something to that effect, and you'll find a considerable amount of information on this very subject, keep in mind that the examples given are in a pro sound context, but the theory and application is the same, believe me, it works brilliantly on fully active car systems, I've got to get ready for work, if I don't quit typing and go I'm gonna make myself late, good luck!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts