Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've been speaking to a audio guru about an active speaker setup that I'm working on and he's said the phase response is critical to good sound.

I know we can view this in REW, so can we do anything about it with the minidsp? Or is it all about overall design?

Appreciate your thoughts on this.

Cheers Dave

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
Several MiniDSP units with the appropriate software are fine for active XO setup. They provide all the needed XO functions to achieve close phase tracking through the XO. They also provide enough EQ to address room modes in the bass range and to shape the overall house curve. Some can provide for redirected bass to a SW or 2 that can help even more in smoothing the bass range. What I like about active DSP XOs is the that the hobbyist can try many different XO configurations and house curve setups and decide for themselves what sounds best. It takes lots of time to learn what is needed and to experiment. This can be entertaining for a hobbyist, but possibly very frustrating for many others expecting significant, quick quality sound.

This can be very significant to good sound. I would expect room acoustics and speaker and LP positions are as important given a reasonable passive XO design.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts