Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently picked up a Philips RPTV only to find out there is a problem with the picture. The picture is fine except for the bottom left corner, i call it a wave. The wave starts at the bottoms left corner and goes up a few inches up then starts to go back down to almost the middle bottom of the screen. The colors seem to b seperated between red and green in the wave. Any ideas what would cause this and how i can fix this problem? Thanks in advance for any help provided. I will try to post a picture of the problem, if i cannot i can send a pic if it will help. Thank you.

Attachments

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Be aware that even at their best, these sets would not look anywhere near as good as even the cheapest modern set. Among the CRT rear projection sets the Philips/Magnavox were some of the poorest performers. I would not sink much time nor money into it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the prompt reply, i have read them prior to joing your forum. I have no money invested into it now so i thought it would be a good project to play with in my free time. I have a older working Toshiba Rptv so i really have nothing to lose other than a little cash. :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been doing some research and ran across this. It was discribed as the same problem i have. What are your thoughts on this?
"This problem can be caused by a power interrupt
and back when philips was philips they were fully
aware of the problem. They simply said the fix was
to simply realign the set. What has happened is you
have corrupt/lost data in the DCU (digital
convergence unit). Here is the rub. I do this for a living and I can tell
you it is not advisable for you to try to correct this
yourself. It WILL require a template. If you do not
have one it can be made of clear mylar sheet if you
have a service manual that gives the spacing.
The reason I do not advise that you do this yourself
is that it is highly probable that your results will be
much much worse if it is done wrong. The first one
I did took me four hours and I know what and how
to do it. I can now do it in about two hours. You
have to realign all three colors, not just the red and
blue and a template is mandatory. This is an
alignment procedure that many current, servicing
technicians to not relish.
If you insist on doing this yourself BE
FOREWARNED. it is not easy."
Thank you

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
If you can adjust it then it could be data loss and you have to align from scratch. If all colors cannot be adjusted horizontal and vertical it needs repair, likely the chips.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.