Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Newbie here. I have a 6-7 year-old Philips 55PP9502 with some convergence issues.

On New Year's eve I noticed the "rainbows" at the upper corners of the screen and on the bottom. The green was off. On the customer menu only red and blue can be adjusted. So I got into the service menu and was able to "reset to factory defaults" which fixed the green. I was then able to line up the red and blue to the green. It lasted until a few days ago. Now I can't adjust the green at all. Same issue with it bowing up in the upper corners and bowing up in a couple of spots at the bottom. There are no other symptoms. No popping, etc.

I don't have soldering/desoldering tools so I was thinking of just ordering a whole new convergence board. I found it on the andrewselectronics website for $80.

Just I just go ahead, order it, and swap it out? Labeling the connections as I go of course. Or could this just be a bad connection? We use our TV a lot and it is getting older so I'm thinking that an IC and/or resistor has probably failed.

Thanks.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Your thread was moved to the proper forum and renamed to maintain forum organization. This makes it possible for others to find information more easily in the future.

Before you order, verify with Andrews that you are getting the right board. You will need to be careful to record any suffixes on the model number and the complete chassis number. Be sure that it is the board with the output ICs and not the convergence generator.

We never replace boards in these units, and doing so can be problematic in Philips products due to the difficulty in making sure you have the right part numbers.

I suggest you read the first ten posts in the convergence thread that you originally posted your message in.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. I read most of the beginning posts on the other thread and it seemed to be about replacing ICs and resistors, something that I really don't want to get into. I don't have any soldering tools nor would I trust myself to do that type of work. Never done it before. But I'm still interested in saving hundreds in doing it myself by removing screws and plugs, if that's possible.

Yeah, I'm not sure about my complete model number. Mine might end in -99 but I'm not sure. I'll be sure to check it closely before I go this route.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got one more question... I've been looking at some of the sites to which you linked in another thread listing the distributors of parts. I'm confused as to what part is the 'convergence board'. Is it typically listed as "*HDR* ASC/CTL"?

Thanks again.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I don't know. I would have to research the matter by looking through the manuals and consulting a distributor. I do not usually buy Philips boards, and when I do I usually try to verify the part numbers with a couple of sources.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help. The parts listing is pretty confusing. I know that I want to buy a convergence board but no such part is listed on any of the sites. I'm sure it's called something else but I'm not sure what at this point. I'll do more research online and make some calls to see what I can find out.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Like I said, even Philips ASCs have trouble figuring out the right parts sometimes. We just fix anything we can rather than replacing.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Is there a part number or some sort printed/labeled on the circuit board that you are trying to replace? 55PP9502 and 55PP9502-99 might be different.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was hoping to able to have the new part before I tore apart the TV since it's still operational at this point. So I haven't gotten the part number off the current board. But I may not be able to tell which part is actually the convergence board since I've not done this before. I'm in a catch-22 now. I wanted to find the new part, order it and get it so that when I see the old part in the set I'll know which part to remove and replace.

Is it possible to get the part number off the board without actually pulling it out of the set?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, my set was working great until today. Now it's really screwed. So I took off the back panel to see if I could find this convergence board. And I'm pretty lost. I found a part that looks like the one that you linked to, ljryjj. Here are the pics that I took.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/with/3506156054/

Pic 2 looks like the part above but strangely I don't see anything connected to it. And the part number is this thing.

http://www.partstore.com/Part/Royal+Philips+Electronics/Philips/60P8342/Royal+Philips+Electronics/Philips/313501104555/New.aspx

That just can't be it.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry. The pics are out there and public but for some reason aren't showing up if I'm not signed on to my flickr account. I'll try to get these out to my webshots accounts today.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
The heat sink has the chips attached to it. The part number you have is for the heat sink itself not the ICs. What are you trying to find, the ICs or the board?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've uploaded a new pic with an arrow. Is the arrow pointing to the ICs?

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2441540090105125823rWnNaR

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the term heat sink.

I wanted to do a plug and play fix without doing any desoldering and soldering. I don't have those tools and if I bought them I would probably use them only once in my life.

So, instead of replacing individual circuits and guessing what circuits are bad (I have no testing equipment either) I wanted to replace the whole convergence board, if there is such a thing in my model.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
The silver metal with fins is the heat sink. The black things are the ICs. With such a low level of understanding, I cannot recommend that you attempt to DIY a repair on a television. I strongly suggest you refer the problem to a professional.

Also, expect to need to change the coolant in the green and blue CRTs. It is very rare for this model set to NOT have contaminated coolant.

When you do not understand a term, one good way to learn is to use Google and Wikipedia.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
With all due respect, thanks, but no on the professional repair advice. It would cost far too much for me to pay for an overpriced professional repair. I'm guessing that I would looking at $400 to $500. I would get a new TV and try to figure out what the to do with this one before going that route. It will probably end up in a dumpster somewhere. Too bad when only a couple of small parts need replaced. Do some repair shops buy old TVs?

So, how do I get a higher level of understanding to be able to accomplish a DIY job?

By the way I just looked up 'heat sink' and didn't see a picture of anything that exists inside my TV. Not that I expected it.

I really want to try to get this done on my own since I don't have the money right now for a ridiculously expensive repair job or for a new TV. I was able to do my own brakes on my car without knowing what a caliper was before looking online.

I'll assume that I would need to pull this heat sink since the ICs are attached to it, right? It's probably tougher than it looks, isn't it?

Man, why couldn't they make these things like PCs with plug and play modules and attachments.

Update: Hey, look what I found!

http://www.techghetto.com/tv-repair/

I guess that I'll have to buy some tools...

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Generally good advice there, just be careful about the vendor you use for parts.

If you google heat sink, you get a wiki link that has a picture and a very good explanation of what it means. If you can't sort out something this basic, you really are unlikely to have much success with your set. There are many potential pitfalls when repairing something like this, and if you don't have a good sense about figuring out such things, it may prove very dificult for you. Read and re-read the convergence repair thread here, the threads on coolant problems here, and any other links you find like the one you listed above. You may want to refer to general information about servicing electronics in Sam Goldwasser's FAQ for sci.electronics.repair. There is a link to it in the sticky for general repair info.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I know it's been a few months, but if you still have this TV sitting there broken, just send me your bad board and I'll swap out the chips and any bad resisitors for you... for a small fee. That way you dont have to worry about ordering the wrong board, or buying and using soldering eqipment.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts