Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Philips RPTV keeps blowing resistors

4K views 10 replies 2 participants last post by  lcaillo 
#1 ·
I have a Philips 55" RPTV (55PP935217) that I replaced the STKs and convergence resistors in because I had blue that could not be adjusted. When I replaced everything I found that the 2 resistors at 3155 & 3156 were toasted. I replaced all the resistors and STK's and when I powered it up again those same resistors started to glow.

I immed shut everything down, checked all connections and then fired it back up, seconds later the same thing again the resistors started to glow. So something keeps blowing 3155 & 3156 but for the life of me I cannot figure out what. I have been searching these forms and elsewhere on google but cant find something that points me in the right direction - any help is very much appreciated!

#2 ·
Check connections and continuity tthrough the convergence yokes. Verify no broken traces, solder bridges, or other open resistors. IF you can't find anything, pull the chips, turn the set on, go into the convergence mode and reset to start from scratch. Replace the chips and see if you can adjust. You will have to do complete geometry and convergence for all three crts but if there is corrupt data it should stop eating the resistors.

#3 · (Edited)
I ended up resoldering the STKs as a few pins werent fully seated and that seems to have done the trick with the blowing resistors However the only color I have now is blue.

I hope something else didn't go in the process - only blue is showing up on the screen now. Did I toast my STK's is that why there is no red or green? I double checked all the connections it doesn't look like I missed anything.

#4 ·
Only color I have is blue!

Philips RPTV, I recently replaced the STK's and resistors and when I fire it back up the only color that shows up now is blue - the red or green do not turn on at all.

Could I have damaged my STKs? Fuses all seem good, resistors all check out, the red & green don't power up.

#5 ·
Re: Only color I have is blue!

Also, it's shifted to the right.

I haven't tried taking a shotgun to the main board yet, I will probably save that for tomorrow. I have been dealing with this since 4:00pm and its now 11:15. I have to go to work in a few hours then when I come back I will figure out the best way to demolish the set.

#6 ·
Re: Only color I have is blue!

Check your work. Check all of the connections to the boards. The convergence ICs should not keep the R & G from "powering up." I assume by that you mean that there is no lit filament at all. If you have a different symptom it is likely something you did in the repair process. Frustration will not solve your problem. Systematic analysis of the situation and careful work might.

#7 ·
Your two threads were merged and moved here to the proper forum. Please do not create multiple threads for the same set and do not double post the same question in different places. We try to keep the forums organized so that people can find information easily.

#8 ·
Sorry, I posted a new thread since it was a different problem.

I ended up not sleeping and instead spent the rest of the hours going over over everything again and again, even removing all of the resistors and STKs and putting them back in. Same exact thing. Blue only.

When I power on the set a blue picture is all that appears on the screen, and its shifted a few inches to the right. There is no R or G, if I turn the color knob for R or G in the back of the set the light will come on but no image at all.

So the more specific issue is that i only get an image with blue and even then its shifted. No image in red or Green.

I have been soldering electronics (mostly automotive ECU) for years and I generally don't get this frustrated, but this is downright silly.

#9 ·
Look for something that you might have pulled loose.

So now you are saying that you do have Red & Green but no video? Before you said no power to the R & G. Which is it?

#11 ·
That means that the red and green do have power just no video. Again, there should be no relation between a convergence problem and not having video on two tubes. You almost certainly did something that you are not aware of if the symtom occurred when you serviced the set.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.