Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Approximately 3 years ago I bought a big screen tv from Best Buy and they included a Phillips HTS3450 Home Theatre Sytem free of charge. I really enjoy it and everything worked fine. Recently I moved to a new house. After I set up the system at my new place, it developed a strange problem. I can be watching a DVD and the system will switch to TV, AM/FM radio, etc. all on its on, and from time to time it will actually turn itself on. I contacted Phillips and got a "this is not a known issue...take it in for repair". Well even after finding a place to have it looked at, I wouldn't be suprised if the cost of a repair would be more than just replacing the unit ! So before I think of replacing it I wanted to see if there was something that I could do to try and fix the problem. I will add that I now do have a neighbor whose house is about 10 ft away. Could there be some possible interference with someone being that close ?

Thanks in advance for you advise
:)

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
To test out if it indeed is interference put some heavy tape or cardboard over the remote sensor on the face of the Philips. If it continues to do strange things then it is definatly the unit its self and you are correct repair will most likely be more or not cost effective.

By the way Welcome to the Shack.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok I tried taping some cardboard over the sensor and it still continues to 'act up'. So I guess replacement is in order. Is there away to connect the remaining sub-woffer and speakers to another DVD player ? I do have another DVD player that I could use but I am not sure how they would connect.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
DVD players do not drive speakers. The unit that you have been using has a receiver built in. A new unit to replace it may come with its own speakers. If you have a separate DVD player, you can replace with a receiver, but the sub may not be useful with most receivers. The rest of the speakers may.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I knew it couldn't be that easy ! lol Someone suggested that I check out eBay to see if anyone had just the DVD player for sale. But of course I will have to weigh the cost of buying perhaps a used unit from someone else that may itself play out quickly against the cost of buying a new sytem. I wonder if something happened to the DVD during the move ? Who knows ! Thanks for you help :)

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
It is not a DVD player. It is a DVD/Receiver aka home theater system less speakers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts