Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Re: Latest build pictures

Yad, those are very nice!! The use of exotic wood veneers sure can make all the difference. What veneer have you used?

I have not found many pictures on diy builds using EXOTIC veneers, i would love to see what else people have out there????? Its good inspiration!

Ebay has been a great scource for some very unusual veneer.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thank you))) I used vacuum veneering tool. Material - is some african tree veneer [Bubinga pommele] + royal(piano) lacquer (approx 5 layers with polishing)

These speakers are heavy) about 50 KG each.

·
Registered
311 Posts

Yad, would you mind doing a veneering tutorial for the rest of us dummies? :bigsmile:

I'd love to learn how to do veneer like you guys. I usually have to use birch to get such a nice finish. Even then, it's never quite like that!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

Hi,StereoClarity )) I would like to, but I'm afraid , that my poor english will not be interesting for most of you. ))
Sure, it will be perfect to make such tutorial. So, let's try together !

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Original Ekta Grande of Troels Gravesen is here. http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/ektagrande.htm

Original construction - is perfect stuff for DIY!!! There are all specifications at this link.

My modifications:

1) i used 2 quasi-separated volumes for LF.
2) Another volume for MF: i used aperiodic (like)IB enclosure (while original was CB)
3) Position of all drivers are closer to the center line of speaker. The box is little wider.
4) Little-bit changed filters

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The idea of aperiodic MF enclosure is shown at this picture. Red line - shows this volume for midrange.
The same idea Is used by Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 801 088 and 802 speakers.

Attachments

·
Registered
355 Posts
Yad: those are some great looking speakers, the veneers are really classy :) Regarding the aperiodic enclosures, have you made one (you brought that up sort of 'out of the blue'...)? In my N7R speakers I was going for that general shape however in steel (at reasonable cost) the well pressure tanks were the best match I could find :D

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you, Matt.
If i understand your question correctly, the decision to make aperiodic enclosure was not "out of the blue"

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The idea was to create the box without inside's rectangular shape and without parallel walls inside. But i did have rectangular outside shape. So, the result - is to put curved surface into the rectangular box. It kills the most number of standing aves inside) The result is audible. In aperiodic enclosure gives less coloration. But sounds more fresh and detail, then the box extremely damped with the fiberglass.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Oh; yes, I meant you brought up the topic of aperiodic enclosures "out of the blue" (I couldn't see where someone asked you about them, I didn't realize you were putting them inside of a box). Do you have any internal pictures of your speakers? I would be interested to see how you made the aperiodic shape in the box.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the idea was the same as at the post #10. Later i'll show here the "print screen" from my CAD

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
well. There are lot's of methods how to do an aperiodic boxes.
Here are some pictures. One of my friends made the second construction. He is still happy ))

the first one - is the possible rear panel of speaker

Attachments

1 - 20 of 62 Posts