Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ran REW for the first time with the main speakers/sub. Tried the sub in two different locations, was hoping someone might be able to point out which one is the best. Plan on running Audyssey after I can pick the best setting/location. Thanks!

Sub in front Corner - sub internal xover off, receiver xover 90hz, phase 0
graph 1.jpg

Sub in front Corner - sub internal xover off, receiver xover 90hz, phase 180
graph 2.jpg

Sub next to couch - sub internal xover off, receiver xover 90hz, phase 0
graph 3.jpg

Sub next to couch - sub internal xover off, receiver xover 90hz, phase 180
graph 4.jpg

·
Registered
486 Posts
I would guess the last one. You can lower your target line to 72Hz. and use a BFD to lower the area between 45-75Hz. Just be careful of localization of the sub in that position.

The second one looks good too. You could still use a BFD to tame the 45Hz peak and maybe boost the 60-90Hz area.

Which one sounds better to you?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would guess the last one. You can lower your target line to 72Hz. and use a BFD to lower the area between 45-75Hz. Just be careful of localization of the sub in that position.

The second one looks good too. You could still use a BFD to tame the 45Hz peak and maybe boost the 60-90Hz area.

Which one sounds better to you?
Thanks for the input. #2 is sounding better to me, much harder to localize. I'm going to try that setup and run Audyssey now, I'll post a new graph with the Audyssey results, curious to see if you fellas still think I would need a BFD after that.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Thanks for the input. #2 is sounding better to me, much harder to localize. I'm going to try that setup and run Audyssey now, I'll post a new graph with the Audyssey results, curious to see if you fellas still think I would need a BFD after that.
I will be surprised if Audyssey does it correctly. :rubeyes:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I will be surprised if Audyssey does it correctly. :rubeyes:
Well your suspicions were correct. Audyssey set my sub at 6.6 ft, it's actually at 8 ft. Read up on Audyssey and apparently it's designed to correct for phase, and your supposed to leave the sub in phase.

So I guess all my location testing and phase switching was for nothing. It's right back where it started and I'm going to rerun Audyssey with it's normal settings. Unless you've got any other suggestions!

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
... It's right back where it started and I'm going to rerun Audyssey with it's normal settings. Unless you've got any other suggestions!
Can you manually adjust the Audyssey set up??? .... :huh:

Does your AVR have the autocalibration feature??? ... Is that the Audyssey you're using???

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Can you manually adjust the Audyssey set up??? .... :huh:

Does your AVR have the autocalibration feature??? ... Is that the Audyssey you're using???
Yes the Audyssey is the autocalibration of my Denon receiver. I think I finally got if figured out. I tried it again out of phase and it set the correct distance. The results are below, I'm kind of leaning towards the 180 phase setting, doesn't have as high of peaks in the mid bass region. Should I be worried about the larger dip around 190Hz? What do you guys think? Thanks again for all the input. I'm stoked to listen to this thing now!

With Audyssey EQ activated - phase 0
graph 5.jpg

With Audyssey EQ activated - phase 180
graph 6.jpg

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
.. The results are below, I'm kind of leaning towards the 180 phase setting, doesn't have as high of peaks in the mid bass region. Should I be worried about the larger dip around 190Hz?
The differences are really small ...I stay with the phase @ zero ... but your ears will be the judge to which one to use :yes:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys! Well it does seem to have a slightly more hollow sound in the 180 phase. I'll probably end up switching back, but at least now I know. Thanks again for the help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts