Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

121 - 136 of 136 Posts

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Re: 'Pigment' Free Gray- a New Gray

This place is like a ghost town these days..

Hurry up UPS!!! :hissyfit:

·
Banned
14,914 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Re: 'Pigment' Free Gray- a New Gray

I'm truly sorry to disappoint those waiting for my report, but Mr. Murphy and his Law (you all know him right?) hasn't just been busy, he's set up camp in my backyard. :( :thud:

H.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
PFG Ambient Light Shots

I started off trying to put a value on ambient light. I measured ambient Light in lux using my Eye-One Pro Spectrophotometer and i1share. I divided the screen up into nine sections and then took measurements from each section for each corresponding lighting situation. The High Ambient is with all the lights on full except the two cans nearest the screen which were at 75%. Medium has the five back cans at 75% - rest are off. Low has the back cans at ~33%. The no lights was measured only during the daytime as there was a bit of filtered light coming in the windows. Here are the numbers:

To be perfectly honest I have no idea how that fares or if it's accurate, but that's what the readings are.

Here are the ambient light shots of PFG with black/white bars. I cropped the images so that I could get a closer image of the difference and still be within the Shack's 800 pixel width rule.

All black and white bar shots are of Sherwin Williams Gray Screen and then the corresponding PFG sample. Gray Screen will be on the left. The first shot will be in medium ambient light at night and the second will be high ambient light at night.

Luminous White 4:1

Luminous White 3:1

Luminous White 6:1

Winter Mist 5:1

UPW 1050 3:1

Soothing White 5:1

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Re: PFG Ambient Light Shots

Now some color bar shots. These have The Gray Screen panel on the right, the pfg panel in the middle, a small piece of my FG screen on the left and the strip of poker/LW 4:1 on the far left. The first shot will again be the medium ambient and the second high ambient lighting at night.

LW 4:1

LW 3:1

Yes poor rolling job on that one, I know!

LW 6:1

WM 5:1

UPW 1050 3:1

For some reason my 3:1's turned out bad - as in poor rolling job by myself.

Soothing White 5:1

Out of focus for some reason or another

·
Banned
14,914 Posts

·
Banned
14,914 Posts

·
Premium Member
368 Posts

Looks like it's ALOT harder to control when at 3:1

Tell ya what, keep that Soothing white away from this project..... looks like a complete different ingredient.
Should call it soothing Grey, with a shot of mud thrown in....... bleh!

Some pretty definite hot-spotting going on there thats for sure.....

Where is my cat..........<.............> !

·
Premium Member
368 Posts

BTW Mech, I think I see a typo, it sure looks like the PFG is on the right in the top set of pics.

M

·
Premium Member
560 Posts

BTW Mech, I think I see a typo, it sure looks like the PFG is on the right in the top set of pics.

M
Thanks, muzz. I fixed mech's typo. Since you can read the bottom of the panels on some of them, the PFG is definitely on the right in the B&W bar shots.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts

Thanks, muzz. I fixed mech's typo. Since you can read the bottom of the panels on some of them, the PFG is definitely on the right in the B&W bar shots.
And I thank you both! I hate when my typing hands don't listen to my brain! :bigsmile:

mech

·
Registered
69 Posts

Hi mech. Maybe it';s just me, but the PFG and Poker test panels look very "grainy" compared to the gray screen or FG screen. Does it look like that in real life? The finish also seems to be uneven. Is it difficult to roll? What does it look like off axis in the scenarios above? Do you have any pictures on an angle? Sorry for all of the questions, but I'd like to learn more about this mix.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts

Hi mech. Maybe it';s just me, but the PFG and Poker test panels look very "grainy" compared to the gray screen or FG screen. Does it look like that in real life? The finish also seems to be uneven. Is it difficult to roll? What does it look like off axis in the scenarios above? Do you have any pictures on an angle? Sorry for all of the questions, but I'd like to learn more about this mix.
Ben,

It's good to see you here again! :bigsmile:

The grainy look is proportional to the amount of the mix. You'll notice the 3:1's look much worse than the 4:1 and the 5:1. As for difficulty rolling, I didn't think so. And I know that it appears on these panels that there appears to be roller marks, there isn't. :huh: I assume it's something in the mix itself be it the aluminum or whatever. One of the folks testing this for us already has his screen painted with it and loves it. :T

Regardless I'm still doing some preliminary work on a fix for this. And the fix is working very good so far! I hope to have that done by early next week so I can move on to other things. And I'm thinking by early next week we won't be calling this by code names anymore either! ;)

Hopefully my block of Magnesium Carbonate will show up one of these days so I can fiddle with 'gain' numbers soon! ;)

mech

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
121 - 136 of 136 Posts