Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

201 - 213 of 213 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
I never got around to posting pictures of the second THT LP after I added it, so here it is - I experimented with a a few alternative positions (but still behind the screen), but none were significantly better than my original thought of firing into opposing corners - so that's what I did.

I made a grill for the first one I built, but decided not to bother on the second, since its behind the false wall.

Also, after thinking and thinking about different ways to prop the screen up when I need access behind the screen, starting with linear actuators, I decided to get off the pot and just do something fairly simple, which you see here - a couple pieces of 3/8" rectanglar steel tube, bolted to the back of the screen frame on one end, and drops into a hole drilled into false wall blocking on the other end.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #202
sub measurements

Here are some measurements of the subs.

I had a measurement of one of the THT LPs mic'ed close to take out (most of) the room influence, but I can't find it atm - basically it showed that the lumps I needed to address were a result of room interactions for the most part, not the sub.

Here are the subs before EQ - L alone, R alone, and both together - and the both together after application of a heaping helping of EQ. As you can see, at the front center seat LP, I had quite a bit of work to do to tame the response.

Ran sweeps again, raising the level a bit at a time, to see how they held up:

I was curious what, if anything, I was getting below 15 Hz - wasn't expecting much, but there is some there - although the graph itself looks very suspicious, perhaps I managed to get a mic that didn't line up to the generic calibration very well (or maybe the ECM8000 can't be relied on at all below 10?).

To verify, I ran the RTA function of REW while sending sine waves from 10 to 20 - even down to 15, it was still managing to incite some lovely buzzes and rattles from the entry door and soffit bits (fortunately, that's not a regular occurrence during movies - and if it does once in a while, well, its supposed to sound like the place is falling apart).

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #205
Buttkicker

I've been curious about Buttkickers, and it had been literally WEEKS since I bought anything A/V related - sad I know. I found and purchased a used Buttkicker LFE kit (BKA1000-4 amp + LFE transducer + couch mounting kit) from a guy on audiogon, and have it in place now. My setup is sort of temporary, I placed the amp on the floor next to the left most seat in the front row, and placed the LFE on the couch kit under the left rear foot of the middle seat in the front row - so the middle and left seat get the thumpage. Works pretty well, very fun. Still evaluating whether I should get a few more LFEs for under the other seats in the front row, or swap out the LFE for the Buttkicker Advance transducers, and mount them inside the seats (LFEs apparently won't fit inside a Berkline 13175).

The reason the amp is on the floor instead of in the rack is that I only ran a sub cable through the riser, no speaker wire. :eek: So I need to figure out a way to get a speaker wire run there after the fact - maybe buried under the lip on the riser or something, not sure yet. Fortunately the amp is completely silent.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Bravo!! Awesome job!!:TT

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
fitzwaddle said:
I've been curious about Buttkickers, and it had been literally WEEKS since I bought anything A/V related - sad I know. I found and purchased a used Buttkicker LFE kit (BKA1000-4 amp + LFE transducer + couch mounting kit) from a guy on audiogon, and have it in place now. My setup is sort of temporary, I placed the amp on the floor next to the left most seat in the front row, and placed the LFE on the couch kit under the left rear foot of the middle seat in the front row - so the middle and left seat get the thumpage. Works pretty well, very fun. Still evaluating whether I should get a few more LFEs for under the other seats in the front row, or swap out the LFE for the Buttkicker Advance transducers, and mount them inside the seats (LFEs apparently won't fit inside a Berkline 13175).

The reason the amp is on the floor instead of in the rack is that I only ran a sub cable through the riser, no speaker wire. :eek: So I need to figure out a way to get a speaker wire run there after the fact - maybe buried under the lip on the riser or something, not sure yet. Fortunately the amp is completely silent.
I think you will find a buttkicker fitted inside your couch to the frame will show more control than under the left rear foot. You will need put rubber absorbers to all the feet on your couch.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
Bravo!! Awesome job!!:TT
Thanks! :T

I think you will find a buttkicker fitted inside your couch to the frame will show more control than under the left rear foot. You will need put rubber absorbers to all the feet on your couch.
Yeah probably so - I ordered some of the kinetic isolators (rubber feet) to put under the recliners' feet, they should arrive tomorrow - I'll see how that changes the effect, and then decide on LFE vs. Advance.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
I found also positioning within my sofa critical, at first I had set mine to close to the back, the 'sofa shake' felt uneven, I then moved it closer to a mid way position, now you can hardly localise the effect. . I am only using one in a 2 seat sofa.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I love your theater! I am about to start on my basement theater and will be stealing a lot of ideas from you :)

Looking at your speaker placement I am guessing that you never did any masking?

I am looking at getting the same Seymour AT screen material as you with a Jamestown frame (they now sell their frames with Seymour AT screens as an option but it seems very overpriced!) I am limited to about 120" 2.35 screen and not sure if I want to go the CIA route. I plan on getting a JVC X35 projector which has zoom memory but I am not sure about needing masking.

How noticeable are the edges of the screen when watching movies?

·
Premium Member
5,784 Posts
Looks great! I will def be stealing a few ideas from you on this build for my build. :heehee:

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #213
I love your theater! I am about to start on my basement theater and will be stealing a lot of ideas from you :)

Looking at your speaker placement I am guessing that you never did any masking?

I am looking at getting the same Seymour AT screen material as you with a Jamestown frame (they now sell their frames with Seymour AT screens as an option but it seems very overpriced!) I am limited to about 120" 2.35 screen and not sure if I want to go the CIA route. I plan on getting a JVC X35 projector which has zoom memory but I am not sure about needing masking.

How noticeable are the edges of the screen when watching movies?
Right, I don't have any masking - not willing to pay for commercial products, and haven't developed enough motivation to build my own - but might do so at some point. I can see the dark gray bars, but I haven't found them bothersome enough to get off my butt and make up some kind of solution.

Looks great! I will def be stealing a few ideas from you on this build for my build. :heehee:
Very nice job!! Love it!!
Thanks guys! Steal away - not like I didn't steal my share of motivation from others. :whistling:

201 - 213 of 213 Posts