Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

101 - 120 of 213 Posts

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Re: more column upholstery, fabric behind screen

Finished up the rest of the column sides on Saturday - here are the front and side columns, with the face frames in place (spent a couple hours today belt sanding the edges to make them fit after the vinyl was added):
Great work Brad! The vinyl looks great, much easier than spending a week staining! :ponder:

A few of my panels were subject to an electric planer to allow for a little more room when it came time to wrap them in fabric ;)

Saturday afternoon, I got the black speaker fabric up over the OC 703 behind the screen wall - the speaker cloth is 102" width, so no seam, covers top to bottom (well except the part on the lower left where I accidentally ripped the fabric, and had to put a patch over it - oh well, its behind the screen wall, so I didn't care enough to do a pretty fix). Looks a bit smudgy, I need to go over it with a lint roller I picked up at Staples:
The front wall looks great :D

Cheers,
Simon

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Thanks Simon. :bigsmile: If I had a power planer, I definitely would have used it, but trying to keep a lid on the tools gathering part of the build, the table belt sander works, but is definitely pretty slow going.

I really like the look of the vinyl, and its thick enough to hide any little boo boos underneath pretty effectively, which is nice. Glad I spent a little more on the material vs. some others I was considering, I think it will be a nice accent and add a little interest.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
It's looking very nice Brad..:T
What was the reason for the adjustable shelving?. You may have mentioned this before but I can't recall the reason..
My thought was flexibility to adjust speaker height / placement - ability to move tweeter height to accomodate changes in seating height, fine tuning for the two rows, change to different LCR speakers - could also accommodate doing A/B testing if I put a switch in somewhere behind there.

Probably overkill, but what the , its in now. :neener:

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts
They all sound good reasons for having adjustable shelving..
My only concern is that it's going to place your speakers hard up against the front wall, unless they're light enough to be able to move them forward on the shelves..
Generally speaking, it's better to have some space behind the speakers..

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
They all sound good reasons for having adjustable shelving..
My only concern is that it's going to place your speakers hard up against the front wall, unless they're light enough to be able to move them forward on the shelves..
Generally speaking, it's better to have some space behind the speakers..
A valid point, I'll have to play around and see whether the shelves can support the speakers at the required depth. Each of the L, C and R sit on a shelf with 3 support brackets, so that should help some, perhaps I'll be OK.

:D

I agree, your garage is effectively pimped. Now just for accessories.

Can't wait to see all of your fabric up so I can pick my favorite and roll with it. :foottap:
Thanks Greg - if I can get just a little bit more of the fabric stuff done, I'll be comfortable calling for the carpet install. Aw , maybe I'll just call tomorrow and set the date out a couple weeks, that will force me to stay on schedule.

I got 14 of the panels for the column faces covered with speaker cloth tonight, I'll shoot some pics when I get the rest of them done. I was wondering whether I'd be able to see through the fairly sheer speaker cloth at all, but it seems to be fine once all the panels are up on a column - didn't bother painting the inside of the column black, I may do so as insurance (flash pics).

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
column face fabric (Rose Brand speaker cloth) is up (well, temporarily anyway)!

front:

side:

rear:

the gang's all here:

closeup to show the joints between face panels (flash washes the color out, but you can at least see the joint):

I still need to add short panels at the bottom (most of which will be covered with baseboard).

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
They look great Brad! You are on a roll!

Have you picked a carpet yet? you must be getting close

Cheers,
Simon
Thanks Simon - yeah I can't wait to get carpet in, so I can finally put my seats in the room (among other things).

I must have forgotten to post - here's a picture of the carpet samples I looked at - I went with the second from the right, the dark brown diamond pattern. I wanted some pattern for interest, but nothing too over the top - actually I did like some that I saw that were more ornate, but they were priced beyond what I wanted to spend. This will end up about $27/yd installed. I think I'll call and schedule the install, maybe a couple weeks out to give me time to take care of a few more things on the list that I want done before carpet (trim out the soffit fabric, add a couple soffit access panels, fabric above stage behind false wall, patch and paint door jambs, etc.). Actually, now that I look at the list, there are several items, but none should be terribly time consuming, maybe a week is enough if I get busy.

Looking awesome Brad, I know you must be getting anxious to get it done! Can't wait to see the finished product!

Thanks Dale, yeah me too - actually even the next milestone, getting carpet in, will be pretty exciting, just so I can finally hear what I actually have with the speakers / sub - and start fiddling with acoustic treatments planning (REW).

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Brad,

Hitting refresh this many times on my browser waiting for your carpet to appear is frustrating!:rofl2:
I know, it isn't working for me either! :scratch:

I've been working on a list of things I wanted to take care of before the carpet comes - so I don't ruin the carpet - like extending the door casing on the closet door, so the wall panels meet flush; painting door casing / trim; extending the entry door casing with black fabric covered panels; trimming excess fabric inside the soffit tray; adding trim over seams on the soffit fabric; etc. Nothing very exciting or pic worthy.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Catching up on some of my recent piddling but forward (mostly) progress - generally trying to get ready for carpet install - was hoping for this week, but the first day that they can come when I'm at the house will be next week.

The inside of the entry door frame was a sloppily done drywall/mud job that wasn't even and was cracking already, so I decided to fill the jamb with fabric covered panels (speaker cloth over 1/2" plywood - wood on the left side is the edge of a wall frame panel):

Access panel for soffit lighting junction box:

access panel for concealed outlet connected to rope light:

Gave my screen wall a C section - before:

after:

finished making the last of the wall panels - the bottom row - these will be permanently affixed to the furring once they are covered with fabric - because of the odd shapes, and with the carpet not in yet, I had been putting them off - but I decided to just build them to 1" off the concrete floor, which will be more than enough room for the carpet installers to run the carpet under (and I can remove the panels if they want), and small enough to cover with baseboard.

close up of the same panel - three others basically like this, the ones that butt up against the stage and riser:

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Here are some fabric samples I'm pondering:

top to bottom: GoM Broadcast Chinchilla; Dazian Janus Fieldstone; Dazian Janus Bronze:

top to bottom: GoM FR 701 Camel; GoM Framework Stone:

top to bottom: GoM Broadcast Mink; GoM FR 701 Earth:

GoM FR 701 Moleskin; GoM FR 701 Light Moss:

all together, with flash (looks like I need to paint the bracing behind the frames black after all):

without flash, colors look different under different lighting of course:

Whaddya think?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #120 (Edited)
I took a shot at doing a lame render to help decide, but I'm not really very good at it I'm afraid. I used SketchUp, imported a picture of a column, then imported photos of the fabric samples as materials and painted the walls with the materials (carpet sample too). The problem is I had a hard time getting pictures of the samples that accurately portray the colors. I tried shooting the materials both with and without flash, but still had to adjust colors a bit manually to get it to look close by eye - and some still not right. Earth looks too green; Light Moss looks lighter than it should.

Oh well, better than nothing.

This is an attempt at approximating what they would look like in a fairly well lit room; most of the time of course, it would be no light or very low light.

Chinchilla

Camel

Earth

Mink

Moleskin

Light Moss

101 - 120 of 213 Posts