Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

121 - 140 of 213 Posts

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Nice work with the final panels Brad :T

Is the plan to have the carpet wrapped around the nose of the riser?

I think I would lean toward the darker colours, maybe chinchilla, moleskin or mink. What are you leaning towards?

Based on your sketchup mockups I take it you are going the same colour floor to soffit?

Cheers,
Simon

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Yes, planning just one wall color top to bottom. I didn't build the panels with any kind of a chair rail in mind, so one continuous color would probably look better.

Well...I'm having a hard time choosing, so looking for thoughts on reasons to eliminate some of my choices.

I'm down to 5 out of the 9 I was considering - I eliminated the two Janus samples, because the weave is very fine, not much texture to it; I eliminated Framework "Stone" and 701 "Moleskin" - in person, they are a bit too gray I think.

The two Broadcast samples are "Mink" and "Chinchilla" - Mink might be too close to black, in anything but full lighting, it might just blend into the blackness. But I really do like the pattern in the Broadcast line, so the somewhat lighter Chinchilla is one of my top choices as well. The pics don't do it justice, here's a closer shot - the brown in it stands out more in person than the pic shows:

So its probably my #1 - up close, it looks a bit more refined vs. the 701 - but the 701 Light Moss and Earth samples would give me more contrast with the column, floor and ceiling colors, which is nice.

Ahh, I think I found a good reason to eliminate Camel - the VSS line is $21/yd. :blink:

So, I guess its down to Chinchilla, Light Moss, and Earth.

Anyone want to help me eliminate two more? :help:

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
After looking at them off and on today, Chinchilla just seems right - putting it next to the vinyl sample a sample of black fabric, with lights on, there is enough contrast I think. Plus I like the way the material looks better than the 701 as far as pattern/texture/weave. And its $2 cheaper than 701. :T

:fireworks2:

We have a winner - Chinchilla!
:fireworks1:

Forgot to answer a question Simon had earlier - yes, the carpet will be wrapped over the bullnose on the riser and stage.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Just placed my order with fabricmate, 38 yards of Chinchilla, hope its enough - I used CutList to work out how to cut the material with minimum waste, and added an extra yard, hopefully I didn't forget anything, if its like my previous attempts, I overestimated a little. I ended up with WAAAY too much Commando cloth - I suspect the vendor accidentally sent me about twice as much material as I ordered. :whistling:

I'm all in!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
No ETA yet, since I ordered Saturday morning - they're supposed to call to tell me the shipping costs and authorize it - I was hoping to get it by the coming weekend, but doubtful, unless their express shipping isn't too expensive.

Yup, the stapler is ready to go - I'm already about 8000 staples into the project already with the soffit and columns. :blink:

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
No ETA yet, since I ordered Saturday morning - they're supposed to call to tell me the shipping costs and authorize it - I was hoping to get it by the coming weekend, but doubtful, unless their express shipping isn't too expensive.

Yup, the stapler is ready to go - I'm already about 8000 staples into the project already with the soffit and columns. :blink:

BRAD........PICTURES! :highfive:

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
Yay, carpet is done. :)

First pic is lighter than in person, last two are closer to the actual color.

Wanted to put the columns back in the room, but it appears that the gap between the 2x2 mounting strips and 1/2" plywood furring strips has shrunk (wood swelled), so they won't fit. Grr. Need to figure out how to whittle down either the back "rails" of the columns or the furring strips, probably the latter.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
Way to go Brad! The carpet looks amazing :D :T
How long did it take them from start to finish?
They (well, one guy and his wife - wife just helped clean up) were a bit slow, but did a good job as far as I can tell. He started on Friday, and came back 1/2 day Saturday to finish.

So I guess we can expect some panel photos soon ;)
My GoM arrived today. :bigsmile:

Although it might be easier to measure the room, apply treatments (hang loosely into furring strips), re-measure, etc., before covering the panels. Otherwise, I can see myself putting them up, measuring, taking them down, etc.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
Here's some updated pics with the columns back in and the seating installed.

ghetto wiring - need a power strip with a longer wire, and something to cover the wire on the carpet:

going to test out a few sub orientations, starting with this one:

bunged column face panel before I fixed it - wasn't too bad to fix fortunately:

This weekend, I'll try to get the rack wired up again and installed - had to remove everything to get it out when they put in the carpet, it was just too heavy and awkward to move. Hoping that the casters roll OK on the carpet in the closet. Then measure to see what the sub response looks like in various locations behind the screen.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
I've been following this from the start, well checking out your fab picture updates. It looks great. What covering are you going to put on the walls?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
I've been following this from the start, well checking out your fab picture updates. It looks great. What covering are you going to put on the walls?
Thanks magicj1, I'm going with GoM Broadcast Chinchilla (back a couple pages I had a few alternatives I was debating) - top in this picture:

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Very nice. I look forward to seeing the end result..... So far all the hard work looks like it is paying off, you've done really well :T

121 - 140 of 213 Posts