Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

161 - 180 of 213 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
Bought a used JVC RS-20U that was listed on videogon a couple nights ago. So far so good! The seller was local, so was able to check it out before forking over the $$.

A few sloppy pictures - will try to get some better ones this weekend. The screen is 4 yards of $2.99/yd bleached muslin from Joanne's, which I'm using temporarily to get a feel for whether I want 2.35:1 or 16:9, and what size (i.e. as big as possible, while balancing the limits of what the PJ can reasonably support).

My plan is 2.35:1, but playing with Dark Knight and its oddball aspect ratio switches has given me pause. How do other 2.35:1 screen users deal with it? Just let it spill over when it goes 16:9? Any other movies that pull this nasty stunt?

New toy:

Ghetto "mount" (Chief universal mount ordered):

Ghetto screen:

Not bad for a $12 screen that's too short and held up by four C clamps:

(that's 122" wide, low lamp, 600 hours on the bulb, and User 1 setting, as set up by previous owner's calibrator, -8 iris)

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
Some progress on the fabric panels yesterday. The material I selected is quite fussy with regards to tension, due to the little bit of sheen in the weave pattern - seems that if the tension isn't perfectly even, it shows as a bit of a streak. Hoping that over time, it will settle a bit, and even out - also, the pictures make it look a bit worse than it is in person, and when I took the pictures, the soffit lights were pointed in towards the panels, I have since pointed them straight down, which helps. And, I adjusted my technique after the first few panels, and seem to be getting a bit better results.

First panels up on the right side:

A few more:

The left side (working my way from the front to the back of the theater:

Up close to show that shimmer thing (that dimple will be hidden behind a screen side panel fortunately):

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
nice work Brad! :T

It's really starting to come together!

It looks like the shimmer gets worse when there is more light shining on them. Hopefully it will be barely noticeable when you are actually using the theatre and the lights are dimmed to about 1/3 of what you'd need while working on things.

Keep that progress coming!

Cheers,
Simon

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
nice work Brad! :T

It's really starting to come together!

It looks like the shimmer gets worse when there is more light shining on them. Hopefully it will be barely noticeable when you are actually using the theatre and the lights are dimmed to about 1/3 of what you'd need while working on things.

Keep that progress coming!

Cheers,
Simon
That's a pity really because otherwise the panels look great..Hopefully those lines won't be too noticeable..
Yeah, I'm not too worried actually, as I've gotten going, my technique has improved (and I deliberately started with some panels that will be half obscured in the front by the side panels to the screen wall) - I can still see a bit of the effect with certain lighting, but I think I'll be able to play with the lighting angles and such and end up happy.

I wonder also if using frosted bulbs might help, hmm, maybe will buy a few to see - or wider dispersion pattern bulbs. I think its accentuated by the tight spot beam shining straight down.

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts
I wonder also if using frosted bulbs might help, hmm, maybe will buy a few to see - or wider dispersion pattern bulbs. I think its accentuated by the tight spot beam shining straight down.
Spot beams do tend to accentuate any flaws or marks in the panels..Flood lights might be the better alternative..

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
I found that as I had done more panels I probably used less tension

Is that what you are finding?

Simon
Yes, that's part of it. Also, I found that I get more consistent results if I first get the fabric stapled to both of the "short sides", then work on the "long sides" (from the middle out, alternating back and forth between the two long sides).

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Yes, that's part of it. Also, I found that I get more consistent results if I first get the fabric stapled to both of the "short sides", then work on the "long sides" (from the middle out, alternating back and forth between the two long sides).
I was going to suggest what Razor was saying yesterday and forgot to post...the tighter I got my speaker fabric on the panels, the more it seemed to show the wood frame when utilizing the flash in closeups, etc...

I started on the short side stapling the whole side, then worked my way evenly down the long sides, then stapled the middle of the last short side, and worked the corners lastly....worked very well....

I keep staring at your carpet choice--love it.

My own thread is at 6,666 views. Kind of me out. :coocoo:

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
Almost done with the fabric panels - one more in the back to do (GrafikEye panel), and four at the bottom aren't affixed yet, just sitting there. Hard to get a good picture with a room this dark, but this is at least better than earlier attempts - the "streaks" don't show as much in person, but still a little - still need to work on lighting, or stretching, ...or just keep the lighting low. :eek:

Temp screen theater - I'm liking 63" high for 16:9 and 58" high for 2.35:1 - which I could either implement as 63" high 2.35:1 (would have to mask down 4 ways for 2.35:1 - assuming I mask at all), or more or less CIA (wide enough for the 2.35 size I like, tall enough for the 16:9 I like - mask two ways for each).

16:9 - 63" high

2.35:1 - 58" high

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
Thanks for the bump Simon - I've mostly been a lazy sloth since the projector and fabric went in - go figure :innocent: - but I did get my screen built, but not hung yet:

I was planning on building a DIY frame for Seymour DIY AT material - but ran across a review of Jamestown Home Theater screens a while ago, and thought "why couldn't I use that inexpensive frame, and replace the material with Seymour AT fabric?". So I contacted Chris Seymour (Seymour A/V) and James Millard (Jamestown HT) to discuss it, and they said it should work.

So I purchased 13' of the Seymour CenterStage XD material, and hired James to build me a custom 136"x64" viewable frame (no material). The material arrived last Thursday, and the frame Friday, so I set about putting it together. Not quite done, but close - still need to paint the center supports with flat black and hang the screen (thinking hinged, for easy access behind the screen). This far took me about 3 1/2 hours, not hurrying. Since these pics, I've trimmed the excess and did "final" tensioning, worked out nice and clean.

I'll add some screen shots once the screen is hung.

Flash shows reflection from center supports; will paint them flat black. No noticeable reflection while watching a few movie clips on it.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
Hmm, my reply disappeared - try again:

Thanks Simon - your calculations are indeed correct. I went in thinking CIH, but as I played with different screen sizes on my temporary screen, I came to the conclusion that CIA is more my cup of tea. When I sized for ideal 2.35:1 width, my 16:9 was underwhelming / not immersive enough; when I sized for ideal 16:9 height, my 2.35:1 was way too wide (to me). So (and since I'm zooming, no lens in the plan) I decided to optimize for my ideal 16:9 height, and my ideal 2.35:1 width. Maybe masking later, but not planning on it initially based on my experience so far.

On my todo list: hang the screen (hinged for easy access); acoustic measurements and treatments (my panels are empty - and need to buy a proper mic / preamp); split A/C install - need to make some calls and get some quotes; false wall and proscenium panels; fix FIOS / internet wiring and get a switch and wireless access point set up; trim and baseboards; maybe build a second THT LP. Probably a few other things I'm not thinking of.

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Hmm, my reply disappeared - try again:

Thanks Simon - your calculations are indeed correct. I went in thinking CIH, but as I played with different screen sizes on my temporary screen, I came to the conclusion that CIA is more my cup of tea. When I sized for ideal 2.35:1 width, my 16:9 was underwhelming / not immersive enough; when I sized for ideal 16:9 height, my 2.35:1 was way too wide (to me). So (and since I'm zooming, no lens in the plan) I decided to optimize for my ideal 16:9 height, and my ideal 2.35:1 width. Maybe masking later, but not planning on it initially based on my experience so far.
Sounds like a great compromise then :T

I must admit I am not really bothered when I watch 16:9 material on my scope screen. If I do decide to setup masking I think it will be motorised curtains ;)

Cheers,
Simon

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts
Nice screen material..:T I'm using the XD myself and very happy with it..
I'm sitting 9' from it and still can't see any weave..

I can't work out what tensioning system is used on that frame..Was it easy to get a smooth screen?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #179
I can't work out what tensioning system is used on that frame..Was it easy to get a smooth screen?
The frame itself is made of roughly 1x4 hardwood; on the back of the hardwood are about 3/4" hollow square tubes, that are screwed into blind nuts in the hardwood - you loosen all the screws, and slip the fabric (tab cutouts) under the square tubing between the screws, pull to tension the fabric, then tighten the screws. Sort of like stretching fabric on a frame - start in the middle of each side and work your way outwards - but instead of staples, you just tighten the screws. It was quite easy really, took about 1/2 hour to tension, and worked perfectly first time, dead flat as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Brad, the theatre looks AMAZING, I love what you've done so far. I'll be following your progress closely to see the final result. I did want to ask you about your fabric panels. I just started looking into the Fabricmate track system, did you consider it at all? I'm wondering if it would be easier. (NOT meant to be a knock on your method or results at all! I, however, don't trust myself to be as patient and consistent as you, and I really like the beveled edges they have) For all I know their system is much harder to use than the method you're using, and more expensive to boot. Was it not too bad to measure, build, and fit your panels? I didn't see what you're using as acoustic material beneath the panels, or how you are attaching them to the walls (permanent or removable?), but boy, does it ever look great.

161 - 180 of 213 Posts