Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the most affordable way to truly listen to a great Pink Floyd album. For example I have hear Dark side of the moon and Wish you were on a wide range of systems and it never sounds the same. Some better than others. Why did Pink Floyd produce albums in the 70s which seemed to require very high end gear to experience what they had mastered in the studio? Pink Floyd on my zaphs sounds pretty bad. I got a pair of vintage DBX sound fields and it sounds better. I can almost hear the intro of breath to me about 30 seconds into it. On better speaker maybe 5-7 seconds. Some of the best pink floyd I have heard when I was a kid was at my friends house. His dad had some DIY speakers and some carver m500 amps. I think he had 4 of them running to speakers. I have to go hear Pink Floyd on some statements before I build a set!

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
What is the most affordable way to truly listen to a great Pink Floyd album.
I will assume album includes CD?

The most inexpensive Sony BR player with earphone out and Klipsch S4 earbuds.
Should be right at $100 to the door including the CD.

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
A lot of those tracks were recorded with very little ambience, mics set up close to instruments and amplifiers, so they can sound quite plain in a room without ambience or with poor speaker setup. A room with more natural ambience will add more warmth to the sound of the recording and may seem more friendly to you.

Do not negate the kid factor, we all heard things as kids is that sounded fantastic to us that might not sound so great to us now with more experienced ears.

Another possibility, you might be trying to experience those tracks the same way you did as a youth, wanting a more raw sound with lots of power behind it like when you first heard it. It might take a certain type of system to deliver that same sound. Just a thought.

The psychology of what sounds good to us and why is not always a simple mater.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A lot of those tracks were recorded with very little ambience, mics set up close to instruments and amplifiers, so they can sound quite plain in a room without ambience or with poor speaker setup. A room with more natural ambience will add more warmth to the sound of the recording and may seem more friendly to you.

Do not negate the kid factor, we all heard things as kids is that sounded fantastic to us that might not sound so great to us now with more experienced ears.

Another possibility, you might be trying to experience those tracks the same way you did as a youth, wanting a more raw sound with lots of power behind it like when you first heard it. It might take a certain type of system to deliver that same sound. Just a thought.

The psychology of what sounds good to us and why is not always a simple mater.
wow.. that may be very true... i was thinking about find some carver gear on Ebay but maybe its just the perception from when I was younger... i will need to contemplate this aging. :eek:lddude:

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
A lot of those tracks were recorded with very little ambience, mics set up close to instruments and amplifiers, so they can sound quite plain in a room without ambience or with poor speaker setup. A room with more natural ambience will add more warmth to the sound of the recording and may seem more friendly to you. Do not negate the kid factor, we all heard things as kids is that sounded fantastic to us that might not sound so great to us now with more experienced ears. Another possibility, you might be trying to experience those tracks the same way you did as a youth, wanting a more raw sound with lots of power behind it like when you first heard it. It might take a certain type of system to deliver that same sound. Just a thought. The psychology of what sounds good to us and why is not always a simple mater.
The kid factor is a very good point.
I have been collecting the music of my youth for the past 5 years....once in a while I have one of those ...."What was I thinking back then"... reactions when I play a newly added CD.
Pink Floyd is not in that category for me but I must admit I very seldom spin up Pink Floyd's earlier efforts anymore and at one time they very much in the rotation.
Maybe the indiscretions of my youth just put me in a more appreciative state of mind for those albums.
I don't know that I am more sophisticated in my musical tastes than I was back then, but I do know I have a lot less indiscretions that might put my mind in that appreciative state.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
I still remember going to the record store to pick-up Pink Floyd Pulse on CD. To this day the coolest CD I've ever owned. That blinking light on the CD cover was the coolest thing to me in my younger years. Come to think of it that may have been the beginning to my fascination with pretty lights. :)

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I'll always remember the drum solo in Moby Dick... Oh sorry, wrong thread!
Sent from my iPad using HTShack

EDIT: One of Pink Floyd's less-celebrated works is "Obscured by Clouds", the soundtrack to the film La Vallée and is a favorite of mine. But not as much of a favorite as "Animals." One more Pink Floyd title that gets a lot of airplay is their DVD of "Live at Pompeii," an outdoor concert with no audience!

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I still remember going to the record store to pick-up Pink Floyd Pulse on CD. To this day the coolest CD I've ever owned. That blinking light on the CD cover was the coolest thing to me in my younger years. Come to think of it that may have been the beginning to my fascination with pretty lights. :)
+1 !!
I understand it was a limited edition. I still have mine, and it works--HAH! I like to think of it as the security system for my stacks of CD's because the blinking light reminds me of some car alarms.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
+1 !! I understand it was a limited edition. I still have mine, and it works--HAH! I like to think of it as the security system for my stacks of CD's because the blinking light reminds me of some car alarms.
I also have mine but sadly my light no longer blinks. I'm sure if I replaced the battery she'd fire back up though. We've dated ourselves with the Pulse talk! :)

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I also have mine but sadly my light no longer blinks. I'm sure if I replaced the battery she'd fire back up though.
You may be happy to know that they're just two AA's, not a fancy-schmancy camera/watch battery. Take the plunge ...errr, pulse!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts