Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the front stage. Going to paint them red as well. I read all the reviews so decided to go with these. Figured they would ve the best bet with the budget I had. I painted them with plastidip so if I get tired of the color or sell them off I can just peel off the red and they will be factory black again.
Not sure why pictures are sideways.

ForumRunner_20140312_202709.png

ForumRunner_20140312_202733.png

ForumRunner_20140312_202812.png

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Still setting them up. But for the price they sound amazing. I know audiophile people probably dont like these. But I think Andrew Jones did an amazing job making a very low budget good sounding entry level series. I didnt get the subwoofer though. I know those wouldnt be good enough. So im going to build the subwoofers instead. But this is just my opinion im by no means even close to being a expert. I think this is a good start for me to get my foot in the door for more experience and start learning the quality of true sound reproduction. But ill never be in the same category of you guys. Lol. Just wanted to share my new speakers.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I actually think for the money thay are a great set of speakers. Nothing "entry level" about them.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
As long as your happy with your setup that's what matters! Not a big fan of the red, but it's an interesting idea so you can change them back to black easily. Thanks for sharing looking forward to your thoughts on your new toys:)!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I should make 7" stands so the tweeters are at ear level. I work at a metal fabrication shop so that wont be too difficult. I figured ill use steel tubing and see if theres an audible difference. Ill also add spikes on the bottom cause there just sitting on carpet now. After I tweak n play with them a bit ill attempt to try a review or at the very least my thoughts on them. Lol

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
If you fill the steel tubes with sand that will help with decoupling the stand from the speaker and add weight to make them less tippy.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've got the Jones Pioneers for my L, R and Center channels. They were the most bang for the buck and fit in my budget. I am very happy with them. Honestly the idea of plasti-dipping then never crossed my mind but it's actually a good way to customize without marrying a paint job.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the sand trick tip. Ill definitely do that and ill use 1/4" wall tubing and plates to add more weight. I love plastidip. Trick is alot of coats. But once all mine are red im going to go back over them with satin clear plastidip. I think it gives it almost a anodized red look.... I hope. Lol theres alot of cars around my area that are painted with it. Thats what gave me the idea. Also makes them slip resistant if you ever had to move them arround. Lol.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Some audiophiles actually praise the 22's so you should feel great about owning these. I would argue they are the best speakers in their price range by a large margin.

I'm not a big fan of red speakers but with how affordable they are I think it's a cool idea to customize them.

Also, good call not getting the sub. Go with one from one of the major ID brands.

Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
If you are near a Fry's and get them on sale the bang for the buck on these speakers is OK.
Not sure I would agree at MSRP though.

I kinda like the red bookshelf speakers .... unsure about red towers though.

·
Registered
630 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Those look like same cabinets and woofers as the pioneer. But the tweeter is different. I mounted a test space on the towers to make the tweeters ear level. Made a huge difference. Now ill make the spacer out of stainless.

ForumRunner_20140313_213457.png

·
Registered
630 Posts
Those look like same cabinets and woofers as the pioneer. But the tweeter is different.
Yes, the cabinets are the same.

The tweeter is new, and the crossover is re-worked. >> The response is neutral (less tone color),
and is more refined, with better detail and definition. They can/will hold their own with speakers
out there, from $350 down per pair. I did a subjective review, on the modded BS22 speakers.

They are for real.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I also have the Andrew Jones speakers and really like them, like yourself I stayed away from the sub because it was way under powered for my room. I ended up buying a XV15 from PSA and they go great together.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well ive had them for almost a week and im not disappointed. After making the speaker stand spacers to put the tweeters right at ear level on the towers improved imaging. My review would be all other reviews are correct. For the price there unbeatable. I ordered 2 15" dayton audio subwoofers to try out with the pioneer setup. They were on sale for 180 each and figured I'll try a full low budget setup. I also bought new subwoofer rca cables that are silver plated OFC copper strands. the daytons are 150 rms so I ordered 2 so I think ill have enough bass. Im no expert so I used the EZ EQ setup on my Harmon Kardon 1600. I do think I should get new HDMI Cables that can do 7.1 lossless sound? I currently have generic HDMI cables. Im also thinking about ordering silver plated ofc copper speaker wire see if that helps as well. thanks for the comments and help.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Well ive had them for almost a week and im not disappointed. After making the speaker stand spacers to put the tweeters right at ear level on the towers improved imaging. My review would be all other reviews are correct. For the price there unbeatable. I ordered 2 15" dayton audio subwoofers to try out with the pioneer setup. They were on sale for 180 each and figured I'll try a full low budget setup. I also bought new subwoofer rca cables that are silver plated OFC copper strands. the daytons are 150 rms so I ordered 2 so I think ill have enough bass. Im no expert so I used the EZ EQ setup on my Harmon Kardon 1600. I do think I should get new HDMI Cables that can do 7.1 lossless sound? I currently have generic HDMI cables. Im also thinking about ordering silver plated ofc copper speaker wire see if that helps as well. thanks for the comments and help.
I wouldn't get caught up in buying fancy speaker and subwoofer cables. Regular speaker wire and sub cable from monoprice or Amazon will do just fine. No need to spend more than you have to.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yep same thing there. HDMI is HDMI. Monoprice has different types - flat, flexible, thick - depending on the space you're putting them in. I've used both amazon and monoprice hdmi with no issues. Whatever you do, do not buy monster brand or anything from in store - way too expensive.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok thanks. Right now im using hdmi cables I got from my cable company. When I started to look at hdmi cables I noticed different types. Not sure what mine are.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts