Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Pioneer Andrew Jones entry level set

16K views 47 replies 18 participants last post by  DaveCarrera4S 
#1 ·
Just got the front stage. Going to paint them red as well. I read all the reviews so decided to go with these. Figured they would ve the best bet with the budget I had. I painted them with plastidip so if I get tired of the color or sell them off I can just peel off the red and they will be factory black again.
Not sure why pictures are sideways.

Technology Electronics Electronic device

Audio equipment Loudspeaker Electronics Subwoofer Technology

Auto part Gun

See less See more
#2 ·
Still setting them up. But for the price they sound amazing. I know audiophile people probably dont like these. But I think Andrew Jones did an amazing job making a very low budget good sounding entry level series. I didnt get the subwoofer though. I know those wouldnt be good enough. So im going to build the subwoofers instead. But this is just my opinion im by no means even close to being a expert. I think this is a good start for me to get my foot in the door for more experience and start learning the quality of true sound reproduction. But ill never be in the same category of you guys. Lol. Just wanted to share my new speakers.

#3 ·
I actually think for the money thay are a great set of speakers. Nothing "entry level" about them.

#5 ·
I think I should make 7" stands so the tweeters are at ear level. I work at a metal fabrication shop so that wont be too difficult. I figured ill use steel tubing and see if theres an audible difference. Ill also add spikes on the bottom cause there just sitting on carpet now. After I tweak n play with them a bit ill attempt to try a review or at the very least my thoughts on them. Lol

#6 ·
If you fill the steel tubes with sand that will help with decoupling the stand from the speaker and add weight to make them less tippy.

#8 ·
Thanks for the sand trick tip. Ill definitely do that and ill use 1/4" wall tubing and plates to add more weight. I love plastidip. Trick is alot of coats. But once all mine are red im going to go back over them with satin clear plastidip. I think it gives it almost a anodized red look.... I hope. Lol theres alot of cars around my area that are painted with it. Thats what gave me the idea. Also makes them slip resistant if you ever had to move them arround. Lol.

#9 ·
Some audiophiles actually praise the 22's so you should feel great about owning these. I would argue they are the best speakers in their price range by a large margin.

I'm not a big fan of red speakers but with how affordable they are I think it's a cool idea to customize them.

Also, good call not getting the sub. Go with one from one of the major ID brands.

Enjoy!

#11 ·
#13 ·
Those look like same cabinets and woofers as the pioneer. But the tweeter is different.
Yes, the cabinets are the same.

The tweeter is new, and the crossover is re-worked. >> The response is neutral (less tone color),
and is more refined, with better detail and definition. They can/will hold their own with speakers
out there, from $350 down per pair. I did a subjective review, on the modded BS22 speakers.

They are for real.

#16 ·
Well ive had them for almost a week and im not disappointed. After making the speaker stand spacers to put the tweeters right at ear level on the towers improved imaging. My review would be all other reviews are correct. For the price there unbeatable. I ordered 2 15" dayton audio subwoofers to try out with the pioneer setup. They were on sale for 180 each and figured I'll try a full low budget setup. I also bought new subwoofer rca cables that are silver plated OFC copper strands. the daytons are 150 rms so I ordered 2 so I think ill have enough bass. Im no expert so I used the EZ EQ setup on my Harmon Kardon 1600. I do think I should get new HDMI Cables that can do 7.1 lossless sound? I currently have generic HDMI cables. Im also thinking about ordering silver plated ofc copper speaker wire see if that helps as well. thanks for the comments and help.

#19 ·
Yep same thing there. HDMI is HDMI. Monoprice has different types - flat, flexible, thick - depending on the space you're putting them in. I've used both amazon and monoprice hdmi with no issues. Whatever you do, do not buy monster brand or anything from in store - way too expensive.

#22 ·
#21 ·
There are two main typs of HDMI cables regular speed and high speed. The problem is many normal speed cables will do just fine in high speed applications. There are many brands out there but in the end with companies like Monster your just paying for the name there is not difference in the picture quality. It's a digital signal it either gets from one end of the cable to the other or it does not. Sometimes the ends can be very poor quality and cause issues with the connection but you don't need to break the bank to get a good cable.

#23 ·
Just got the front stage. Going to paint them red as well. I read all the reviews so decided to go with these. Figured they would ve the best bet with the budget I had. I painted them with plastidip so if I get tired of the color or sell them off I can just peel off the red and they will be factory black again.
:wave: BuddahX,
Welcome to the Pio speaker club, I've had the 1st gen's for about three years now and absolutely love them. Pairing them up with a good sub/subs will really make them shine, you're in for a real treat. I was thrown off by the red color at first but after reading realized you had painted them, thanks for sharing!

#24 ·
love the pics of your home theater Drunewp man what did you take them with the color is great really realistic photo's also kudo's for the great work on your home theater. BuddahaX most people love those speakers myself included but unfortunately I bought a bose system first could of saved a ton of money gettin those pioneer's first.I also agree with Chasenit I wouldnt go red for the tower's but kinda like the red bookshelfs.
CD

#25 ·
I recently picked up the Andrew Jones units as well. I paid $270 for two Towers, center, and two bookshelf speakers from Craigslist and the towers were still new in the boxes! I have been blown away by the capability of these things. I recently hooked up my new Horn sub (Sound physics Labs Bdeap-32) feeding it 1200W RMS and the combination of effortless bass and the Pioneers (when they are not asked to play the low frequencies) is really excellent and makes for a very enjoyable setup. I'm now on the look out for another one or two sets of towers to complete my 7.1 setup. I'm definitely a happy customer so far :D

#26 ·
Thanks guys, the subwoofers are comming in tomorrow. So ill get to play with my setup again. Im impressed with mid lower end of the towers. Certain frequincies on songs I can feel a little vibration on the floor. Lol. But im also upstairs so its not concrete. Im looking foward to being able to turn them up once I get the subs and turn the crossover point up on the towers.

#27 ·
I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts, once you have the subs in place. Like yourself I was having fun with mine prior to buying my sub, but after it was down right impressive and fun. All my friends really like coming by and checking out new movies, because they say they want to hear what it was supposed to sound like in the theater! Lol

#28 ·
Got the subs in yesterday. Havent played with them yet. Temporarily placed both next to the tv. Just gotta figure out where to put the 2nd one. They sound pretty good from just hooking them up. Ill mess with them more after work. I have 18 foot cables so I can run either one toward the back side wall.

Subwoofer Loudspeaker Car subwoofer Audio equipment Electronic device

Loudspeaker Audio equipment Electronics Room Electronic device

Subwoofer Loudspeaker Audio equipment Electronics Home theater system

#29 ·
Watched the new Thor movie on bluray last night. This setup is awsome. I placed the subs in several different positions and what seemed the best was each sub facing the left and right wall placed on both front stage corners of the room. The pioneers are awsome with a subwoofer. I raised the crossover to 80hz for the towers. I had the system up pretty high and didn't hear any distortion. Its a good setup im glad I went with the pioneers and dual subs.

#30 ·
Glad to hear you're enjoying your new setup. It really is amazing what those speakers can do for their price. I've never heard those dayton subs but I don't doubt their quality.

I recently switched to dual subs and it had been an eye opening experience. The bass fills the room more and is coming from everywhere. It's also more pressurized. I'll never go back to a single sub.

#31 ·
Those mods look great. I really like the effect of raising the towers. Did it help with imaging?

I'm a real fan of those speakers for the budget minded consumer. I always make it a point to make the sales guys listen to them whenever I'm at one of my stores with a studio room. People write them off because of their price. They assume that nothing that cheap can sound good and then they only push them with a cheap amp. The lower sensitivity requires just a little more power to get them singing, but once that's done you're golden.

Anyway, really like the mods!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.