Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,

So... I picked up a big screen rear projection tv of the pioneer variety via craigslist, because "it had some scratches, the sound didn't work, and the color was messed up". I'm a college kid with more ingenuity than money, so I took it home and fixed the sound and scratches within two hours.

So, I began googling my problem with the color. I have a problem where the red doesn't "converge" correctly, and thus causes an odd picture to form. It is also somewhat bent in the top right and bottom left. When I cover the red projector the pictures is literally PERFECT. Now I read that this is the IC chip, and that it's easily soldered on (I'm very capable of that).

My question here is where exactly is the chip located on my motherboard (or where I can find the service manual), and where would I acquire said chip.

The exact model is the 'Pioneer Pro-92'

Thanks so much for any help you may provide me.

MRStoneOK :bigsmile:

(P.S. Googling my specific model only gave me results for some radio model :sad2:, which is why I'm here)

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Welcome to the Shack,

You have come to the right place. I dont have an answer to you question but we have in my opinion one of the best guys to ask. lcaillo should be able to point you in the right direction very soon or at least by tomorrow.

Enjoy your stay with us.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome : )... I really appreciate such a wonderfull forum.

I wanted to add that I just finished reading the sticky about convergence issues. I'm a regular to other forums so I read the stickies elsewhere but missed it because it was not a sticky on the manufacturers page (just fyi).

That said, I'm a little more confident in everything, but would still love a little guidance if someone's willing to provide it:bigsmile:

Thanks much,
MRStoneOK

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Your convergence IC on this unit is located, IIRC, on a board behind the front panel under the large heat sink.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First off, thanks for the reply

So, I'm still having some trouble. It's my understanding that the IC chips are rather large and labeled STK-(NUMBERS). I have been stairing at the board for a while now, and can find nothing that looks like all of the IC chips I find on the web. I have found about three heat sinks, and they're all attached to rather small chips labeled Toshiba.

I could post pictures if needed, and I feel like an idiot for not being able to find them, but I'm puzzled because all the online photos seem so obvious. The only thing I can think of is there is two vertical silicon boards with components and a top that are hiding whatever is between them (roughly 2 inches apart), could the convergence IC's be in there? I assumed not, since heat is obviously why these go bad, and there is no reason to put something like that in a cramped space.

Thank you much,
MRStoneOK

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So.......

I'm an idiot.

But... I've got it figured out, and I know exactly where to go from here. I didn't understand that by front panel, you meant, "front panel" :duh:

I'll post back if when I fix it:bigsmile:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts