Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have an annoying issue with my Pioneer Elite VSX-82TXS. It takes numerous power toggles (sometimes up to 30-40) before the receiver switches on 'fully'.

What I mean with that is the following:

The receiver switches on to some extend every time - the display lights up, input source and volume is displayed and can be changed.
However, the power amplifiers are not being switched on and other parts of the display are not showing (like the blue 'Digital Precision Processing' light, the MCACC light, or main display elements like Signal Source or Speakers). Also, in this state the receiver will not show any signal processing (like "Stereo") or react to certain buttons like 'Auto Surround'.

After power-toggling the receiver anywhere from just a couple of times to 30-40 times, it will eventually switch on ok and work completely normal, also for extended periods of time.

Switching the receiver off and on again after a period of use it does not seem to make a difference in getting it to turn on again.

I have measured supply voltages (as far as I was able to) and to me they look ok compared to the schematics I have, both when the receiver is working correctly and also when not.

Any ideas of what the culprit of this might be?
Thanks in advance for your help and ideas.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
One quick and easy thing to try first is to unplug the unit for ~5 or 10 minutes. This usually "resets" the processors (you shouldn't have to set-up the receiver again) and may fix the problem. Even a simple static charge on an IC can do some strange things. Try this; if it doesn't work you have have an issue that requires a repair.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gary, thank you for your reply. I tried your idea and let the receiver sit for a while without power, but unfortunately, no change. I am afraid I have to bite the bullet and give it away for repair.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Have you checked to make sure that no speaker wires are touching? That would activate protection mode and shut down the receiver.

If that doesn't work, maybe someone else has more experience with this specific model and can offer better advise. Good luck to you.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
In your manual it should go over how to do a complete reset back to factory settings. Just remember to write down all your settings because it will erase them and put them back to the factory default settings. If that doesn't solve the problem then service will more than likely be needed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.