Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello iam trying to fix this tv. i have resoldered the power supply and replaced the ic`s with genuine sanyo, and replaced the awz6108 full converg. board. now i have power and picture but i cannot get the outer converg. perfect. there are still blue outlines on people and objects. also the red and blue cross hairs in the outer converg. mode look wider / blurry than the centering cross hair. center converg. is perfect. iam not sure if one of the 4 transistors is to blame that are mounted on the same heat sink as the ic`s since im not sure how to test.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Can you adjust it and not get it right, or does it not change? Are you in the service mode?

Edge focus on these is normally poorer than the middle if you have the middle focused. You can split the difference by focusing somewhere in between.

Why did you change the board and why do you suspect these transistors?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i only suspect the transistors since they are mounted on the same heat sink and get hot. the awz6108 full converg. board i changed thinking it would help the blue vertical line at the right edge of the screen that bowed inward. the pioneer symptom and cure page listed it as the north and south pincushion problem so i changed it. it is better but the blue is just off on both the left and right. i dont understand why the center will converg perfect but not the sides? in the converg mode it does not appear to be off by alot but when you are watching tv the blue is around everything. im going to test the blue crt board resistors. both the red and blue cross hairs move but its like they are wider or blurry and dont line up behind the green only on the outer converg.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
You need to post an image of the problem. It sounds like you just are not adjusting it properly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
alright i think iam on to something now. i noticed that the hitachi 53fdx01b that i fixed is exhibiting the same problem just not as severe. the blue horizontal is a skew. the left side is bowed up slightly and the right is bowed down slightly. i used ic`s from the same supplier for both sets. now im thinking of replacing them again but from a different supplier, do you think i should go with the oem 110`s or the 394-160e? i think this could be it since both sets are having the same issue just one is more dramatic. oh also the red is slightly off on the hitachi as well just like the pioneer. i really think this could be it.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Your problem is not defective ICs. You have either reached the limits of adjustability or you just have not adjusted the sets as well as they can be adjusted. Likely the latter. There are often geometric distortions at the edges. Some can be corrected and some cannot. They often require a great deal of time and experience to optimize. You have to become familiar with all of the options and methods that a particular set provides, as well as how controls interact and what the limits might be.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
alright i will take some pics and post them in a minute. im not sure how to do any further adjustments on this set. and what other adjustments can be made?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Do you have a service manual? I cannot tell you what other adjustments that there might be from memory, and because you have not said what adjustments you have made.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Blue horizontal linearity is off. You also need to clean your lenses and mirror.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok ummm.... do you know how to fix the horizontal linearity? now the lenses, you mean just clean them or do a coolant change? the mirror i would have to take the acrylic screen off to clean it. i think i can do all of it except for the linearity unless you can help me there. me and my wife are actually going to take the set to her bro`s house in tallahassee once its fixed. i have downloaded the service manual in pdf form but do not understand alot of the terminology or have technical background to understand it. i was trying to get the owners manual but i could not. also the service manual is pretty hard to read in some areas since it was scanned in. thanks for all of your input and time. this is all i think about while i am at work. i really want to fix this. the only adjustments i have made to it are the convergence. i found the screen and focus block inside on the main board but am scarred i will make it worse not better. thats it.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Study the explanation of convergence circuits and repairs in the sticky (first 10 posts). Study the service manual and learn what horizontal linearity does and how to adjust it. I cannot tell you from memory exactly what controls to use, as they are not intuitive and you have to follow the manual to understand the procedure.

Do not change coolant. Do not remover the lenses unless you are certain you understand which screws to use. Be very careful with the lenses and mirror.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts