Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I followed instructions and it was truly a relatively easy process.. This was the absolute first time I’ve ever touched a soldering iron btw.. Once I got to the ICs, however, I realized something interesting that goes directly in line with the theme of sub-par "experts"..

I remember when I first had the TV I had some issues and as it turns out the ICs were replaced about 5 years ago with the STK392-150, however they were clearly generic.. The soldering job was HORRIBLE! When I have gone to the manual convergence menu in the past, the grid has never been truly “square”..

Anyway, I have a question.. How is it possible that last night after I did the switch of the ICs the convergence still wasn’t good and yet when I woke up the this morning all inputs seem to be perfectly square and aligned? I’m not complaining obviously but how is that possible?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Re: CRT based RPTV Convergence Repairs

It is called "sleep walking calibration syndrome." I get up in the middle of the night to tweak my displays sometimes and don't remember it the next day....

Seriously, I can't explain it unless you ran some auto convergence mode and it corrected a problem that had been created by trying to adjust when the chips were bad and not responding.

Post the model and brand and something may ring a bell...and I may figure it out in my sleep.:bigsmile:

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Your posts were moved to a new thread to maintain forum organization to make information easier to find.

On a Pioneer my guess would be a bad connection somewhere. They are notorious for bad solder connections and moving the boards around to service them can make the problems show up. Heating and cooling affect such connections. Just a guess. The other possibility is that you are actually using two different modes or resolutions and the set is aligned in one and not the other. This is a common mistake that the kind of "pro" that serviced your set might make, aligning in one mode and not the other. I think the wide or zoom mode uses a different memory for convergence, IIRC.

·
Registered
91 Posts
don't know about pioneer but the sony KP-46wt510 I worked on, after adjustment is done in service mode, 16:9 full mode and 4:3 mode look good, but zoom and wide zoom mode were absolutely 3-D. There is an item(section 2-13-2) in the service menu about copying all registration data to other modes. I did it and zoom/wide zoom mode look good again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it possible that after I switched the chips and manually converged all points that it "learned" the proper settings and adjusted the other modes accordingly? I mean I'm perplexed?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
There is no learning that goes on. You have to adjust it and store. There are multiple memories, and convergence can be out due to a bad connection somewhere, but there is no learning.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I get that.. Thing is the convergence seems SPOT ON now whereas when I went to bed only the single mode I manually converged was set?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Obviously something is changing in the set or there is something that you are missing. Have you tried every zoom mode and every resolution on every input to determine if the convergence is consistent?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts