Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I have the Pioneer SD-P5183. At power on it looks VERY red. After 10-30 minutes the set seems to kick in and the picture is normal again. Is this a bad bulb? Green Maybe? Is there a good fix for the DIY'er?

It seems logical that it may be a weak soder point that reconnects with high temp?? Where should I look?

The alignment of the set is fine throughout. It's just a color problem when first turned on.

If it is a bulb, where is a good supplier?

Thanks,

Richard

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Pioneer RPTVs are notorious for bad solder connections. It could be one of hundreds. Gentle tapping, applying heat and cold, and observation are the troubleshooting techniques.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great (not),

Any idea where to start? Seems a bit overwhelming to pull boards and play. Any focus would be much appreciated.

Actually, what is the heat and cool technique? I'm a DIY'er and can't imagine doing that with the set plugged in. Unless I used a heat gun while the set was cold and focused on one area at each start-up until I found a region to focus on. Any site to learn the diagnostic?

Richard

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
You have to heat parts with a heat gun or cool them with a freeze spray until you isolate the area with the problem. If you can find a pattern to the behavior of the set you can generally locate the problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok,

What is the technique please. I doubt I can spray the freeze while the set is plugged in, yet it needs to be plugged in order to see the effect of the spray.

I imagine I start with heat anyway since the Off set is cold already, correct? So I heat a region (Any idea where to start in hopes of saving time?) with the set plugged in and see if the picture clears up faster than normal wait time currently encountered.

Then unplug and cool the area. Start again. Errr..... then once I find the area that seems to be effected by this process, I pull the board and check for cracked solder unions??

I'm a DIY'er. Yes I did just replace the IC's in another set with good results, but I am not a tech and would appreciate whatever detail you can offer.

Thanks bro.

Richard

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Sounds like you have the idea. I usually apply freeze spray to a swab then touch that to the component that I suspect rather than spraying it on the circuit. You have to be careful of the condensation causing a short.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now that's a cool technique tip (no pun intended). So where do I start? Is there a specific board, union, capacitor, junction that is the most likely since it is the green that is not coming on until warm?

Thanks,

Richard

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I can't really tell you where to start. I would be studying the service manual, schematics, and databases of repair tips to figure out where to start, combined with my experience. Gentle tapping with a non-conductive probe is a good start.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts