Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
rear projection CRT fails to turn on and after resetting again fails to power on and refuses to leave standby mode, it does reach standby mode. Checking the board a 5A fuse, (fu-206), is blown and gets reblown upon replacement. After reading around on avsforum, here, and a couple other places, I'm guessing the problem is likely has to do with the convergence for the reasons that 1, it seems to be a relatively common issue, 2, i looked up the definition of convergence and realized my tv was having problems with convergence before it stopped working completely, i just ignored them because they weren't unbearable, and I thought they required manual tuning of the bulb or somesuch, 3, the blown fuse circuit path can be traced back to to a cable connector which connects accross to the other side of the TV to the board with the convergence circuits stk392-040, two of them. Removing this board that has the convergence ICs on them has proven slightly problematic, but I haven't given up, obviously, any advice is more than welcome =]

Also I heard that surrounding components such as resistors and fuses, but I think there may be only one fuse in this case, may become damaged and need replacing if this problem is the issue, in addition to replacing/repairing the convergence IC. I heard that some convergence ICs are no longer available and/or can be replaced with different models, would this apply to the stk392-040?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply, the board with the convergence ics, is difficult to remove. It appears as though if I can remove some reverse facing screws, I will be able to get it out. Any ideas on how to do this. By reverse-facing I mean I can see the tail of the screw facing me, and the head of the screw is on the other side.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Sorry, I am drawing a blank on this one. I don't recall any particular problem getting to it, but it has been a while since I did one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts