Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang, these are my 3 choices for an AV receiver 1 of these bad boys will be driving 1 of these 2 set on my list.
Set 1
Fronts SCS-01M
Center SCS-01
Surrounds SBS-01
or
Fronts STS-01
Center SCS-01
Surrounds SBS-01
The sub for both will be PC12-NSD
now I know 1 of those will be coming home not sure which yet.so I need a receiver that could work for either one. Now someone has asked the size of the room before so here it is Front & Back W:7'.2" Middle W:6'.1" Length:14' Height:9' the room has hard wood floors and plaster walls. I will be doing some treatments down the road. So for now I need help deciding on which of the 3 Thank You.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
I would get either the Pioneer or the Onkyo as they both offer THX Processing and Certification.
I do like that the Pioneer weighs almost 37 pounds compared to the 24 pounds that the Denon and 27 pounds the Onkyo weighs. Heavier weight usually denotes larger power supply and heat sinks.

I will again give an up to the Onkyo for offering Audyssey and THX Certification. However, the Pioneer and Denon would do nicely as well. Another advantage to the Onkyo is B-Stock availability for under 400 Dollars.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks JJ great advice as always.

·
Banned
601 Posts
Ares, you don't make our job easy, that's for sure. :bigsmile:

These are three excellent choices. Go for your preferred set of features.

Here's my personal take:

The Denon does not have preouts (in case you want to add an external amp in the future).
But it has Audyssey MultEQ XT, which I like (or is it only MultEQ?).
Denon sound, smooth and reserved... good Dacs.
Maybe a better video processor, not so sure though.
Good power reserve.

The Onkyo does have preouts for all channels (or did they remove them this year?).
It has Audyssey MultEQ and the suite (Dynamic EQ & Volume), same as the Denon.
It is THX Select2 Plus certified.
Onkyo sound, clear and articulate... good Dacs.
Good power reserve.

The Pioneer Elite does have Advanced MCACC, which I like also.
It does also have preouts for all its channels.
It is also THX Select2 Plus certified (or is it only Select2, without the Plus?).
Does it have an Ethernet port for streaming music and video?
It weights more than the Denon and Onkyo, which I like.
Best looking one, for me anyway.
Pioneer sound, smooth and pleasing... good Dacs.
Good power reserve.

Mmm... tough choice indeed.
I don't know about their street prices, but if they are all similar, perhaps I'll pick the Pioneer first.
Listen to it at home, if you don't like, just bring it back (or send it back, you got 30 days anyway), and try the Onkyo. Do the same thing, and try the Denon. Pick the one that sounds best to you with your speakers, in your own room, and feels good with the settings, ergonomics, features, remote, and overall feel. :bigsmile: What can I say...

Cheers,
Bob

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I agree with the above from Bob and Jack, I read alot of people complaining about the Pioneer remotes Onkyo has a very well layed out remote But I do think the extra weight of the Pioneer is a good sign. I think in all reality either receiver will do the job very well.

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well what fun would it be if was easy:demon:, now the Pioneer is $700 , 2310ci $849, 707 $799 add Chicago sales tax of 10.25% you guys get the picture. now for remote won't be a problem I'll be using the Harmony 1. The Pioneer is THX select 2 plus, and is sexy looking like my wife(this last part I had to write she was standing behind me). I have done some research and it seems no matter what I pick this room is going to cause me trouble unless I do some treatments.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Yup, The 706 is a great option and offers the same features as the 707 without the upper presence channels that are not necessary.

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Jack, I am trying stay local personally I rather not have to deal with shipping it back if doesn't work out that's a big hassle IMO. But thank you for taking the time to find and provide me with the link.

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Man how rude of me Hi Tony happy to hear from you again

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
Good for you Ares. I would definitely go by Best Buy/Magnolia to make sure there are no more SC-05's or SC-07's still available. BB is blowing them out and they really are a notch above the VSX-21.
JJ

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you, choosing a receiver is harder than I thought, the speakers were easier than this I leaning towards the SVS towers and it seems it will be a done soon.

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When to best buy could not find any at least not in Chicago maybe online no I don't think I want pay shipping + tax

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
The towers are a great choice If I was looking for a set they would be at the top of my list.
Online is the way to buy as you save alot of money. Just a little more hassle if it arrives defective but thats also not usually a big deal and does not happen alot.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
I such a populated area, I am sure all of the 05/07's were snatched up. Was certainly worth seeing if there were any in your region as the discount was huge.
JJ

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The speakers I don't mind buying online, the receiver I'll stay local.

·
Banned
601 Posts
Well what fun would it be if was easy:demon:, now the Pioneer is $700 , 2310ci $849, 707 $799 add Chicago sales tax of 10.25% you guys get the picture. now for remote won't be a problem I'll be using the Harmony 1. The Pioneer is THX select 2 plus, and is sexy looking like my wife(this last part I had to write she was standing behind me). I have done some research and it seems no matter what I pick this room is going to cause me trouble unless I do some treatments.
Very true, with a room small as yours, a $200 receiver would have enough volume to fill it.
You don't have another room where you can install your setup?
By the way Ares, are you from the UK? :ponder:

I know some people over there that have very narrow rooms like yours, and they still manage to put a front projector with full size speakers and generously powerful electronics. :eek:
Anyway, we know your speakers, so give them some piece of kit to be proud of, like the VSX-21TXH Elite receiver.

You know what Ares, you'll manage, with the help of Advanced MCACC Auto Room EQ, and some judicious room treatments, like acoustic panels for some sound absorption on the side walls, bass traps in some corners, and a carpet for the floor (at least up front). Because your room is small, you don't really need much of these, just has to be put at the right places. And if you and your lovely wife are up to it, you can even make these acoustic panels yourselves. Even the few bass traps (circular tubes), you can also manage to build your own. And as for the carpet, well, you must have one somewhere that can be put to good use, right? Or just grab your neighbour's one, if you don't. :bigsmile:

Hey, life is so simple if you look at it from the right perspective... :unbelievable: :blink: :meal: :newspaper: :island: :hiya: :yawn: :sleep: :snoring: :scratchhead: :1eye: :heehee:

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No born and raised in Chicago can't change rooms this house is 105yrs old so some of the rooms are narrow with some high ceilings the lowest one is this room. this room is an odd shape no 2 measurements are the same.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
its all about compromises we work with what we have and enjoy it.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts