Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all thanks for any/all responses, I hope I am in the right thread. I'm updating my home theater from a *very* old system, basic issue is that I want to be able to use the TV's speakers instead of the surround sound, preferably without the receiver being powered on.

My hardware:

* Pioneer VSX-822-K receiver (this is the new piece, just purchased from NewEgg)

* Visio SV471XVT LCD TV

* Charter (Motorola) cable TV box

* Panasonic DMP-BD87 Blue-ray

The TV, cable set top box, blue-ray player are all connected via HDMI to the receiver, there are specific HDMI connections for all components and all work well with the receiver powered on.

Two problems I would like to resolve:

* Would like to have the receiver powered off and get normal TV audio only from the Visio, but...

* If I power the receiver off I do not get a 'pass-through' signal from my cable TV as I did with my older home theater receiver, the receiver has to be on. Is there a way to configure this receiver, or reconfigure the connections to get a 'pass-through' cable signal to the TV without the receiver being powered on?

* Alternately, is there a way, even with the receiver being on, to mute the surround sound coming from the receiver and get audio *only* from the TV?

...or is this classic case of not being able to have my cake and eat it too??? #;>)

·
Registered
205 Posts
You can setup a HDMI switch/splitter to send HDMI signals to your receiver AND your TV. If audio not on HDMI - You could also send the audio from the cable box to the TV via RCA. This way you switch the TV input and get signals directly from the cable box instead of the receiver.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can setup a HDMI switch/splitter to send HDMI signals to your receiver AND your TV. If audio not on HDMI - You could also send the audio from the cable box to the TV via RCA. This way you switch the TV input and get signals directly from the cable box instead of the receiver.
Thanks for taking the time to respond Blitzer, I found the answer in the receiver setup, on that model's OSD there's a 'Pass Through' setting for all attached components under the HDMI section. I selected the 'SAT/CBL' and now the TV gets a 'Pass Through' cable signal with the receiver turned off and TV works normally. Peace once again in my Kingdom, Wife is happy she doesn't have to deal with the new technology...:bigsmile:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts