Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have intermittent power issues with my receiver. It happened first about 15 months ago when I could not turn the power off using either the remote or the power button on the receiver. The only way to turn the receiver off was to disconnect the power suppy. After resstoring the power, the receiver would not turn on but it turned on fine the next day. This scenario continued for a few weeks until finally the receiver seemed to function normally again.

After a few more weeks of working normally, the receiver would again not turn on. I tried all the usual stuff...ensuring the power cable was properly connected, changing the plug fuse etc but it would not turn on. I tried again over the following few days to no avail and eventually got the retailer's service engineer over to examine the machine. He switched the receiver on and of course it worked. Typical. I asked the likely cause of the fault but the engineer said he would need to examine the receiver when it was not working so could not say. Of course the receiver is just out of it's warranty period.

For the past year, the receiver has generally been pretty reliable but last week it would not turn on again. I did all the usual stuff again but to no avail and this time decided to disconnect the receiver to take it into the retailer's service department the following week. A few days later, before putting the receiver into my car to take it to the service department, I plugged the receiver into the mains and, you guessed it, it worked again.

For my home cinema, I have had to revert to my old yamaha system backed up with an amplifier. Better than nothing but not a patch on the amazing Pioneer.

My theory is that either the main power source at the rear of the receiver is faulty or possibly the on/off switch. Unless someone here thinks different, I'd like to replace these (the power source first) myself but can't seem to source the parts. My alternative is to take the receiver into the service engineers but they want £75 before they even open the box plus parts and labour for undertaking the replacement.

I'm not a skinflint but since the waranty period is long since past, this is something I'm pretty sure I could do myself.

Any suggestings re my fault diagnosis or source for spare parts??

Thanks

AlanR

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Your "power source" is likely not a discrete module and may be distributed at several levels on different boards. The power switch itself could be the problem but it is more likely a bad solder connection somewhere or a power supply that is poorly regulated or filtered causing erratic behavior in system control. You could also have a problem in system control itself, such as a bad microprocessor, bad reset circuit, or any of dozens more possibilities.

It is unlikely that any of these, other than finding a bad solder connection and repairing it, is a DIY project. Units like this can be quite difficult to service. Even getting to a bad connection or a part that you can identify as bad can be a challenge in some models.

Start by gently tapping and moving boards to effect the problem and identify any bad connections.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have exactly the same power problems with my VSX-LX70, which is now a few years old. I usually switch it off at the mains and when I switch the mains back on it occasionally will not show any power (full or stand-by). If I wait a day or so and try again it powers up. This has happened several times and is becoming very frustrating. I have changed fuses, sockets, mains isolation and still no resolution. i'm reluctant to replace it, in the hope it can be fixed as the performance is great with my Kuro plasma.

Any advice, or similar experience and resolution appreciated

Chris, Burnham.:help: Bucks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts