Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Up until very recently, simply used this AV unit for 2 channel stereo only (ipod, CD's, FM tuner). Now attempting to use it to power some external speakers to the TV as well. Again, 2 channel stereo only.

HDMI from Cisco Explorer 4640 cable box (Charter) to AV.
Ethernet cable from router to AV.
HDMI out from AV to Vizio TV.
Bookshelf speakers wired from front spk output only.

I get video to the TV and audio to the speakers from the cable box, but it's necessary to turn the volume up on the AV extremely high to hear it. If the source is internet radio rather than the cable box the speakers play just fine. Should the source affect the output to the same speakers like this?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
If your AVR is set to use a center channel and you are using only two speakers, you will get very low output on anything that is encoded for surround sound. Check the audio settings on your AVR and be sure that you are not set to use a center.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, so far, no difference. Manual Speaker setting as follows: Front - Large, Center - No, Surr - No, Surr Back - No, Subwoofer - No. The audio seems normal if the source is Ethernet, CD (RCA cable), or Tuner. If the source is the cable box or DVD player (RCA cable), then the audio is very faint. Thoughts? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sound seems normal from the TV when connected directly to the cable box. To be clear, I'm simply talking about the difference in volume from the AV to the stereo speakers depending on the source of the input. The audio output from the speakers is maybe 2/3 as loud when the source is cable or DVD vs ethernet, CD, or tuner. Meaning, I probably have to turn the volume on the AV to 40 for cable to get the same volume as 25 for ethernet.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
I understand.
If you cable box has volume control max it out.
There may also be options between bit stream and PCM output on the cable box.
If there is try both.
You might also try plugging the cable box into the AVR input you are currently using for your bluray player and see if the volume remains low.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.