Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In this thread: Four Subwoofers. Ayreonaut asks about the placement of four subwoofers in the corners of the room. The thread eventually drifted a little off course as the replies came in.

Has anyone ever tried 4 IB's located at the quarter point from each wall, in the ceiling, one speaker per baffle? I'm gearing up to purchase four 18" Fi IB3s and I'm trying to decide if I should place them:

1) all four in one baffle centered between front speakers (about five feet off front wall)
2) two per baffle along the front wall, 1/4 off the front and side wall
3) two per baffle midway along each side wall 1/4 off the side walls
3) four baffles at 1/4 locations at each corner

My room is 27'L X 15'W X 10'H.

The room doesn't currently have a ceiling, it's open to the joists, and it seems any measurements would be skewed by the lack of a ceiling.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there any preference between doing two baffles with two woofers located above the front speakers verses one baffle with four woofers centered between the front speakers (both options in the ceiling of course.)

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Two baffles with two woofers located above the front speakers is a lot more common from what I've seen on various forums.

And the manifold design gets rid of a lot of the viberation, which is a good thing in the attic. :bigsmile:

·
Registered
125 Posts
I would agree with that, the conventional wisdom on subwoofer locations is you tend to get rid of room modes by having more than one location, and this applies to IB as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts