Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I don't have access to REW and measurement equipment in my region so I go it by ear. I shall keep looking out for same or similar amp to power the new build. I hope to post a new thread on the build, I have all I need except time. Meanwhile I'm really grateful for all the suggestions and input.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Update!
In two weeks I seem to have become a bit conversant with Hornresp. I simulated my 12" sub driver in a tapped horn mode and although I fear I may be in error but I am getting some impressive results. I have a 288+ litre single 12" driver cabinet with a 17hz corner 115db at 2pi.
I'm sorry the images are camera shots of the laptop screen, I don't know a better way to get screens hots off the laptop.
Like I said I don't know if I'm on the right track but some things are obvious. This driver is finicky in tapped horns. It also wants a relatively small cabinet just as in a vented alignment. Simulation of stuffing in the first segment appears to significantly improve the frequency response by blunting the spikes a fair bit although I can't seem to understand the units for the density of the stuffing. Using half pi will raise the FR level to about 125db.
I'd really appreciate for someone very familiar with Hornresp to come in and show me if am on the right path or just goofing away joyfully.
The folding appears to be the other half of the problem and I seem to be getting a tall four-folded small footprint cab 74" x 14.5" x 20"deep.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,921 Posts
Sorry I can't really help with Hornresp. Hopefully someone can chime in.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Hello?
Any tapped horn jedi within eyeshot ? I could really do with some info here before putting things to wood.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Reading and learning. As I get to know more about tapped horns and Hornresp, I continue to refine my simulations .
I have found that the large voice coil check option under loudspeaker wizard is the best way to model this driver because of the huge inductance of the coil. The Impulse response was sluggish previously but is now much improved. The driver appears to have a slightly higher group delay now which I think is because the driver was designed for a smaller enclosure than I have modelled (364 litres) but this is needed to achieve the lowest Fc I can get without too much compromise. I have also factored in Atc and Vtc because the first segment volume is quite small and the added Vtc makes some difference. The compression ratio is about 3.8:1 which I think the driver's strong motor and aluminum cone can handle and in any case this seems to best suit the driver sims. A 3rd segment taper appears to lower the corner a bit. I cannot tell if the pressure in the throat chamber is excessive but the particle velocity looks ok all round. Any suggestions will be very much appreciated. Images are attached.

Attachments

21 - 25 of 25 Posts