Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

41 - 60 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just a quick 0.02. As normal, I read the thread and added a little twist. Since it's not an end all be all display for me, I decided to use a thumb drive with the Evangelo slides and added random transition effects. Over time (probably at the 150 hour markish) I did notice that even the transitions are not retaining anything once the screen fills completely... It was really obvious that it was retaining the previous slide/transition in the first 100 hours... Also, the pixel orbiter is not available with a 1080p source, so I am wondering if I can ever really watch a not zoomable source (e.g. 2:35, etc.)

As far as settings, I used calibration slides via the thumb drive to just do the basics, so it wasn't unwatchable when I do watch a little TV on it. It will be interesting once I do the WB to see if it is as stable as I expect.

BTW, it's a F8500 Samsung. That thing can sure put out a lot of light... In some ways it reminds me of my Sony 929 LCD.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I've started the break-in procedure for my new ST. I changed the picture setting to vivid. Is this "better" for breaking in than other modes?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
No, never use vivid. Stick to the movie picture mode.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Guys, i've just discovered this great forum googling some information form my new 65st60.

I've got my panel since a week, it's so amazing!

Since now i've followed the recommended settngs i've read in some forum for the good "out of the box" plasma panel.

I'm wondering if it's strongly raccomended to run the 150 hours slideshow of the images, it would be quite a problem for me if i cannot use the tv for a week or so :innocent:

Now i run the panasonic cleaning bar after at the end of the day (2-3hours of tv per day), is it ok?

many thanks and sorry for my english :D

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Welcome to the HTS John,
It's no problem to watch tv just run the slides when your not around or doing other things.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Well the longer you run them the faster it will get broken in correctly. The big thing to avoid is to not watch stations that have a "hot" station identification logo stuck on the screen. (TLC CNN are two that come to mind off the top of my head) for the first few weeks. At least not for more than an hour at a time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Welcome to the HTS John,
It's no problem to watch tv just run the slides when your not around or doing other things.

First of all thanks indeed for your welcome and your quick answer.

So, is it ok if i run the slide only for about 30-60 minutes per day?

Another question about the images ratio.

My pay per view channels have black bars in the top and the bottom of the screen, ihave set the overscan 16:9 scan to off: correct?

Thanks again, and marry Christmas from Italy :D

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Yes, run the slides as little or as often as you like.
You want to avoid the black bars particularly for the first month or so of use. Stretch the image or zoom so it fills the screen.

Merry Christmas to you and your family as well. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yes, run the slides as little or as often as you like.
You want to avoid the black bars particularly for the first month or so of use. Stretch the image or zoom so it fills the screen.

Merry Christmas to you and your family as well. :)
Hi Tony, so in case of up/down horizontal bars you say it's better to use the function

- aspetct
- sideoutzoom

it'squite annoying for, but if it's matter of few hours... :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've downloaded the vangelos slides, it works fine.
I wondering if it could be a good idea to run them instead of the panny bar cleaner for all the night long, when i'm sleeping... :)

This for a couple of weeks, no more...

what do you think?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Sure, running the slides over night would be ideal.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Tony, so in case of up/down horizontal bars you say it's better to use the function

- aspetct
- sideoutzoom

it'squite annoying for, but if it's matter of few hours... :)
good morning tony!
The above settings is the right choice for the channels with the top/down black bars or there's something better?

·
Registered
918 Posts
You can use STRETCH or ZOOM mode, whichever one is most acceptable to you, as long as it gets rid of the black bars.
And yes, run the slides over night. My plasma is over a year old and I still need to do this same thing to get rid of accumulating image retention.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Guys, sorry but i have another question, this is a really new world for me :)

I've used the "auto brightness" in the "on" mode because of a better brightness in the most circumstances.
i've been told that's not good for the first 150 hours , it's better to put it off.

the only problem is that the panel is too dark for me :(

What do you think?

My settings are:

mode True Cinema

contrast 50
nightness p
color 50
Sharpness 30

Thank you all indeed for the support

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Just don't leave any bars of static images on it for the first couple hundred hours and you will be fine.

·
Registered
918 Posts
JohnnyUtah, for my VT50 I use PICTURE MODE THX Cinema,
CONTRAST......80
BRIGHTNESS...42
(and in Advanced Picture set up ---> BLACK LEVEL 'Light')

These settings are proper for my living room which can get a fair amount of light. It is bright enough not to look dim during daytime viewing and doesn't look too bright for night time viewing.

When my wife wants to watch something with a bright logo for several hours (i.e. Fox News channel) I switch the PICTURE MODE to Cinema,
CONTRAST......22
BRIGHTNESS...35

This gives a very dim picture but one that can still be seen. It helps to deter long term image retention, but the image retention still happens and so I run the color slides several times a week to get rid of accumulating retention.

I don't have Auto Brightness so I don't know how drastic of a change it makes. It's probably safest to leave it off at least during the break in phase.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Gdstupak thanks for your input.

I noticed that the st panels have different mode compared to the vt. I don't have, for istance, "professional" mode.
Whatever, i'd like to play with the settings to find the right balance (especially for the brightness), but i've been told to take it slow in the break in phase.

The point is that my break in phase will be veeerylong, iwatch the tv for 2 hours per day as average :D
150/2=75=2 month and a half!

It surprise me that the last vt/st series still suffer of some kind of retention! :eek:

·
Registered
918 Posts
If you watch only 2hrs/day, that leaves many more hours to run the color slides for break in.
For proper picture adjustment you need to buy a set up DVD/Bluray, they are very easy to use. During the break in phase, the TV picture will change a lot and often (mostly the panel will dim noticeably). Keep adjusting the settings according to the set up disc. Also check out the other threads that deal with TV settings.
As far as image retention, it appears that some panels are more susceptible to it than others. Mine is one of the bad ones.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you watch only 2hrs/day, that leaves many more hours to run the color slides for break in.
For proper picture adjustment you need to buy a set up DVD/Bluray, they are very easy to use. During the break in phase, the TV picture will change a lot and often (mostly the panel will dim noticeably). Keep adjusting the settings according to the set up disc. Also check out the other threads that deal with TV settings.
As far as image retention, it appears that some panels are more susceptible to it than others. Mine is one of the bad ones.
thanks once again for the answer :T

Currently i'm running the slides when i'm at home (few hours per day), i don't like to keep the tv turned on at night while i'm sleeping.

i hope that it's enough for the break in.

I'm wondering about the cost of a professional calibration here in Italy, i'm not so confident to do it by myself :blink:

41 - 60 of 96 Posts