Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you watch only 2hrs/day, that leaves many more hours to run the color slides for break in.
For proper picture adjustment you need to buy a set up DVD/Bluray, they are very easy to use. During the break in phase, the TV picture will change a lot and often (mostly the panel will dim noticeably). Keep adjusting the settings according to the set up disc. Also check out the other threads that deal with TV settings.
As far as image retention, it appears that some panels are more susceptible to it than others. Mine is one of the bad ones.
thanks once again for the answer :T

Currently i'm running the slides when i'm at home (few hours per day), i don't like to keep the tv turned on at night while i'm sleeping. Are we sure that's is completely safe to run the slide for many hours without rest?

i hope that it's enough for the break in.

I'm wondering about the cost of a professional calibration here in Italy, i'm not so confident to do it by myself :blink:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi all,
i have a clue related the total amount of usage hour of the panel.
I'read about many cases of old/returnet/demo model sold as absolutely new one.:coocoo:

I have checked the hour in the soft mode, donno how much this trick affordable is, whatever, here's the procedure::

menu > help > system info > status4
the numbers you see after the zero should be the total hour.

I have my panel since 9 days and the check points out 53hours of use...is quite unlikely for me using the tv for 6 hours a day, but not sure, especially last night that i run for 4 hours per night the colored slides.

Is it possibile that they gave me a used panel? The strange thing is that at the arrival all awas perfect; the packaging, the accessories, the film around the chrom border and so on...

Quite confuse :blink:

Well, the tv works great, no issues so far,
I'm in the break in phase so i'm wondering if i hade a returened panel instead of a brand new one, that would be definitly upsetting.

What's your thoughts guys?
please reassure me :D

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Don't forget they would run the panel through some test cycles in the factory before it leaves.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Don't forget they would run the panel through some test cycles in the factory before it leaves.
never thought about that opportunity. So it possible the panel leaves for few hours of test insied,
Let's cross my fingers and hope it is so.
I've heard about very bad discovered once the people go deep in the usage time, but we are talking about +100hours.

So Tony you think i should be good now?

Thanks anyway, i was a little anxious about this but with your answer you've made my day :D

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
No need to worry, it's all good.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
If there are a lot of bright stationary images or text yes it can over time. An hour or two won't hurt once it's been broken in but if you play for several hours at a time it's not the ideal display.

·
Registered
918 Posts
With gaming, I would not use a plasma.
Last year I read many reports saying that gaming isn't a problem anymore because plasma doesn't have permanent burn in but does have temporary image retention. With my VT50 I get both temporary image retention that lasts shorter than 20 seconds and then goes away by itself, and also long term burn in that will not go away unless I work at scrubbing the screen. And I did break in my screen properly.
Some plasmas are definitely not as bad as others, but I wouldn't chance it.
Luckily I'm not a gamer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Guys,
running the break in slides i noticed a light vertival banding on the right side, 1 inch or so from the frame
I see the banding in the different grey slides, it's barely noticeable from a 1 mt, but it bugs me :(

Is quite common even for the st60? May i hope that it'll go away in time?

Any answer, as usual, will be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Hello all, This my first post here. I've loaded the break-in slides onto an SD card. Is there a preferred speed (slow, medium, or fast) to loop these during the break-in period? My new Panasonic TC-P65VT60 should be arriving February 3rd. I'll inspect it thoroughly with a flashlight but will probably wait at least 2 or 3 days before powering it up so it can acclimate to my living room from it's cold shipping environment. I'm excited.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I didn't know I should have run in (burned in) my brand new Panasonic TCP50ST60 before watching movies in CinemaScope 2.35:1 - 2.40:1. I've probably watched maybe 10 movies with these aspect ratios out of a total of 40-50 hours of mixed viewing. Is it too late to start evenly burning in the screen using looped slides?

Ps. There's no sign of image retention at the top and bottom of the screen (where the black bars would have been).

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I didn't know I should have run in (burned in) my brand new Panasonic TCP50ST60 before watching movies in CinemaScope 2.35:1 - 2.40:1. I've probably watched maybe 10 movies with these aspect ratios out of a total of 40-50 hours of mixed viewing. Is it too late to start evenly burning in the screen using looped slides?

Ps. There's no sign of image retention at the top and bottom of the screen (where the black bars would have been).
No it's not too late at all. If you have no retention going on as of yet that's a good thing and if you do and it's still subtle it may go away after running the slides.

·
Registered
12 Posts
No it's not too late at all. If you have no retention going on as of yet that's a good thing and if you do and it's still subtle it may go away after running the slides.
Awesome. What a killer picture this TV has BTW. LEDs look sort of exaggerated and "cartoonish" to me now.

Ps. My viewing distance is just under 7" so this 50" (the last one to be had in Canada) is just about about perfect. :D:D:D

·
Registered
12 Posts
BTW, has anyone noticed that slides 8 and 9 (3 and 4 of the red series) seem identical. On my TV there is a little "shudder" on the screen as each slide changes and they last 5 seconds each but.. there doesn't seem to be any transition between 8 and 9 and... 8 seems to last 10 seconds (twice as long as the others) before going to #10.

Can anyone tell me why one just doesn't use white screen for burn in purposes. In theory that does all the colours at once and should go faster. And... if burn in is so important for getting the best performance over the long haul, why don't TV's come equipped with a set of slides that can be played for the first few hours. Something really doesn't make sense...they provide a screen wipe feature as well as many other "safety" features yet, no burn in materials.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
It sounds like you have your settings for brightness and color way off. What preset are you using? You should be using cinema to start with.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It sounds like you have your settings for brightness and color way off. What preset are you using? You should be using cinema to start with.
No it's not on my end (at least not my equipment). I think the actual slides are either defective or 8 and 9 are intentionally the same. Here's why:

I'm in cinema mode and I don't think my colour is off because I see the exact same thing on my brand new 27" iMac. Here's what I did to trouble shoot that there was no problem on my end:
1) I downloaded the slides from 2 sources (here and Evangelo2's website) and got the same results
2) I downloaded the files using Windows 8 (bootcamp) and OSX (mavericks) with the same results
3) I watched the files from both sources on both my iMac and my TV (same results)
4) I cannot detect the little judder in the picture (that occurs when the slides change) between 8 and 9 but slide 8 lasts twice as long before going to 10 so that means that this may have been done intentionally

Maybe there is no difference in the shades of of 8 and 9 and no one has noticed or I maybe I'm seeing this because of the very mild colour blindness that showed up when I first got my drivers licence.

BTW does anyone know where I could find a graph of how phosphors age? I suspect that they age in an asymptotic fashion. That would mean that uneven aging early in the life of the set would never quite even out while uneven aging later would be negligible. I suspect that is the case and I sure would like to know why the manufacturers don't make it CRYSTAL CLEAR that one should zoom everything to fill the screen during the first 200 hours. There's a lot of misinformation floating around. Many reputable sources (such as CNET) tell you to watch a mixture of of material during the first few hundred hours but, if I'm right about how it works, black bars should be COMPLETELY avoided. It really annoys me that it's left up to the consumer to figure this out.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
The slides are not defective. I just re downloaded them and they look correct on my display.
Are you loading the slides onto a USB drive and playing them off of that?
Have you ever had the display calibrated? if not then I would suggest applying theses settings as a base and go from there

·
Registered
12 Posts
The slides are not defective. I just re downloaded them and they look correct on my display.
Are you loading the slides onto a USB drive and playing them off of that?
Have you ever had the display calibrated?
I've already mentioned that the exact same thing happens when I view the files a new top end 27" iMac (a display considered close to reference quality by both photography and video professionals). And yes... I've downloaded the files onto both a USB stick and SD card from 2 sources using both Mavericks and Windows 8. There is nothing wrong with my TV. I've also mentioned that it may just be I can't detect the colour change because of mild colour blindness that showed up when I took my driving test (many years ago) and which I have NEVER noticed at all before.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Will running the slides for 10 days be better than 7?

61 - 80 of 96 Posts