Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Probably not, but that said it wont hurt either.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm going to ask this question again and I've tried to word it a little more coherently in the hopes that someone can provide some insight:

Does anyone know where I could find a graph of how phosphors age? I suspect that they age in an non-linear asymptotic fashion. That would mean that if uneven aging of the phosphors occurred early in the life of the screen, even if one started watching everything with the screen filled after that, the phosphors would take a VERY long (almost infinite) time to even out. On the other hand, if one was to unevenly age the phosphors after first doing a few hundred hours of proper break-in the unevenness would probably be negligible. I suspect that is the case and I sure would like to know why the manufacturers don't make it CRYSTAL CLEAR that one should zoom everything to fill the screen during the critical first 200 hours. There's a lot of misinformation floating around. Many reputable sources (such as CNET) tell you to watch a mixture of of material during the first few hundred hours but, if I'm right about how it works, black bars should be COMPLETELY avoided (during the break in stage). It really annoys me that it's left up to the consumer to figure this out (and possibly damage their TV in the meantime).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ps. Evangelo2 just told me there was a pair of duplicate slides in mix. Ha, I knew it! :D

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I'm going to ask this question again and I've tried to word it a little more coherently in the hopes that someone can provide some insight:

Does anyone know where I could find a graph of how phosphors age? I suspect that they age in an non-linear asymptotic fashion. That would mean that if uneven aging of the phosphors occurred early in the life of the screen, even if one started watching everything with the screen filled after that, the phosphors would take a VERY long (almost infinite) time to even out. On the other hand, if one was to unevenly age the phosphors after first doing a few hundred hours of proper break-in the unevenness would probably be negligible. I suspect that is the case and I sure would like to know why the manufacturers don't make it CRYSTAL CLEAR that one should zoom everything to fill the screen during the critical first 200 hours. There's a lot of misinformation floating around. Many reputable sources (such as CNET) tell you to watch a mixture of of material during the first few hundred hours but, if I'm right about how it works, black bars should be COMPLETELY avoided (during the break in stage). It really annoys me that it's left up to the consumer to figure this out (and possibly damage their TV in the meantime).
You are correct. Phosphors age much more rapidly in the first few hundred hours. I recall seeing a graph from one of the manufacturers years ago, but it has been a while. There is no precise time when one should change viewing behavior, and you can still get differential aging later in the life of a set, but with less than max contrast and varied viewing it it rarely a problem. I did not use any burn in slides on my PDP but just made sure the contrast was down and very little viewing of bars or static logos and such occurred. Logos and banners can still be a problem even well into the life of a set if contrast is high and extensive viewing time with the same image occurs.

No hard fast rules. And manufacturers don't like to talk about it at all because it would amount to admitting there is a problem, which they rarely do. It is not so much a problem as a fact of life with any phosphor based technology.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanx Icaillo.

BTW, as I mentioned earlier I had a hell of time trying to figure this issue out and, because there seemed to be so many conflicting opinions I sort of gave up and went ahead and just watched whatever I wanted on my brand new Panasonic TCP50ST60. Consequently during the 50 hours of use I've probably watched maybe 10 cinemascope (2.40:1) movies (with black bars top and bottom) with the rest of my viewing in full 16:9. I can't detect any image retention whatsoever and am now in the process of putting 200 hours on my TV with the Evangelo2 slides. Is there any chance I did no damage at all or is it there and just not detectable (I've watched everything in "cinema" mode)?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello this is my first post here.
I have a panasonic 55VT60...watched it for 100 hours now in thx cinema mode full screen...blu ray / tv in zoom.
only after 80 hours my girlfriend played cod ghost online ps3 for about 4 hours in thx cinema mode once with gaming mode on and next day with gaming mode off for 2 hours... after that i see on a white and grey screen image rentention or burn-in in the corners from the game. I dont know for sure if its burn in because after 8 hours running the 'anti-burn' moving white bars from the menu... It seems to be gone for my eye or i can hardly see it. So I googeld and came on this forum where i first read everything about slides and break in period. When I knew this I break in mine but know its to late I gues?

What is the best thing to do?
play the slides? use the wipe function longer? can i still break-in with the slides of is running the ant-burn moving white bars also fine for break in? I run the 'anti-burn' moving white bars 15 min after using tv also didnt watch channel with bright logos, static image or black bars..

or can I better do something like jscreenfix or other software?

·
Registered
918 Posts
I've had my VT50 since 2012. It has always played in a light controlled room with settings properly adjusted using a set up Bluray.
Mine still gets temporary burn in from news logos (every time we watch the news, I switch the tv settings to a very dim mode). These logos will stay on the screen until I wipe them off. I've run the built-in wipe bar for several hours with not much success (I don't know why this function automatically stops after only 15mins of run time). What does work for my set is running the multi colored break in slides for several hours (overnight). I do this approximately every 2 weeks.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hello this is my first post here. I have a panasonic 55VT60...watched it for 100 hours now in thx cinema mode full screen...blu ray / tv in zoom. only after 80 hours my girlfriend played cod ghost online ps3 for about 4 hours in thx cinema mode once with gaming mode on and next day with gaming mode off for 2 hours... after that i see on a white and grey screen image rentention or burn-in in the corners from the game. I dont know for sure if its burn in because after 8 hours running the 'anti-burn' moving white bars from the menu... It seems to be gone for my eye or i can hardly see it. So I googeld and came on this forum where i first read everything about slides and break in period. When I knew this I break in mine but know its to late I gues? What is the best thing to do? play the slides? use the wipe function longer? can i still break-in with the slides of is running the ant-burn moving white bars also fine for break in? I run the 'anti-burn' moving white bars 15 min after using tv also didnt watch channel with bright logos, static image or black bars.. or can I better do something like jscreenfix or other software?
If you've used the scrolling bar feature and the retained image seems gone your problem is solved. Also, if they are gone, then it's not burn in. Burn in is when a ghosted image (usually one of those annoying TV station logo bugs or a video games on screen H.U.D.) is permanently or severely burned into the phosphors. I haven't heard or read of anyone being able to truly correct burned in images. If however the image is just being stubbornly retained, it can be diminished significantly and in most cases eliminated completely with either full screen slides, the scrolling bar feature or just watching full screen content that doesn't contain steady on screen logos etc.

These (Panasonic 2011/'12/'13) plasmas really shouldn't be used for playing video games in my humble opinion. Nothing says you "can't" but if you want to avoid severe image retention or (gulp!) permanent burn in, you should refrain from playing video games on it altogether or at least keep the game playing time down to a more manageable level.

I have a 2011 55VT30 that I used to play C.O.D. on regularly and although I was vigilant in keeping playing time to a minimum and running the scrolling bar feature after every session, it still suffered minor burn in in the lower right side of the screen. In fact, I think the burn in was actually caused when one day I turned the system on to play and once the game was up and running the power went out at my house. When that happened the TV screen had that moment of increased brightness as it shut off along with everything else. I didn't notice anything until a few days later when I was watching something full screen, I noticed the games lower right side markers burned into that part of the screen. The burned in image was only visible on bright content and even then you had to be looking right at that particular part of the screen to notice it.

I still have that set and although the image seems to have MAYBE faded a little bit, it's still there about a year and a half after that incident. It could have been a combo of playing and the power going out, it could have just been the playing or, it could have just been the power going out while the game's image was onscreen and the screen got really bright the moment before shutting off. I don't know. What I do know is, I will NEVER play video games on my 65ZT60 or watch channels that have obnoxiously bright or consistent logos. These things are expensive so I'm not going to risk potential burn in or severe image retention.

Either way, best of luck. Fine TV.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
I also have a pan my plasma/ps3. It has seen COD since new(2010?). I'm. Also quite vigilant about static images. If my kids are watching Cartoon Network for example, I zoom it to make as much of that logo disappear as I can. Personally, I've had better results in using my ps3 for music and using it's built in screen saver(push display/select twice to remove track info). It's the with a constant moving perspective view. From what I've read, the best thing for "unsticking" ghosted (not burned) images is a constantly changing screen. IME, this has been true, and much better than the white scrolling bar.
Will

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for al the answers!

I ran slides and watched full screen movies (25 hours)...and i seems that HUD from COD in the lower right corner is almost gone now.
I only can see it in a dark room on only the dark grey slide but i must look very hard and close to the screen...I hope after more hours watching full screen content and running slides i won't see it any more. It's only that I know it is or was there, the number 180 in the lower right from cod.

So if I can't see it on normaal use of the VT60...it isn't a big issue anymore.

This is my first plasma television and I didn't know that image retention and burn in is so easy to get on the latest pana plasma screens...it was there after not more than 5 hours gaming...I am still surprised thats so easily burning in...this can't be normal for a consumer product...in the user manual there not much info about retention or burn-in or break in period.
Did anyone of you do a break-in period with slides? Leave your plasma on for about the first 200 hours with only slides? (That does not sounds right for me)

(sorry if my english is bad)

·
Registered
918 Posts
Did anyone of you do a break-in period with slides? Leave your plasma on for about the first 200 hours with only slides?
I did this. I may be incorrect, but I don't think breaking in the screen properly would have any affect on how well it resists image retention later on.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Thanks for al the answers! I ran slides and watched full screen movies (25 hours)...and i seems that HUD from COD in the lower right corner is almost gone now. I only can see it in a dark room on only the dark grey slide but i must look very hard and close to the screen...I hope after more hours watching full screen content and running slides i won't see it any more. It's only that I know it is or was there, the number 180 in the lower right from cod. So if I can't see it on normaal use of the VT60...it isn't a big issue anymore. This is my first plasma television and I didn't know that image retention and burn in is so easy to get on the latest pana plasma screens...it was there after not more than 5 hours gaming...I am still surprised thats so easily burning in...this can't be normal for a consumer product...in the user manual there not much info about retention or burn-in or break in period. Did anyone of you do a break-in period with slides? Leave your plasma on for about the first 200 hours with only slides? (That does not sounds right for me) (sorry if my english is bad)
I broke my 55VT30 in by watching only full screen content that did not contain any constant, static images on the screen for about the first 200 or so hours give or take. Even after that initial 200 hours I did not play PS3 games on the TV until the panel hit about 400-450 hours and even then, I kept playing time to a minimum and ran the scrolling bar function after any and all gaming sessions. I also didn't watch any widescreen (black bars top/bottom) movies on the set until the 200 or so hours of full screen material was up. This set still has a very faint outline of the C.O.D. HUD in the lower right side of the screen. Like yours, it's not really noticeable 95% of the time that I use the set and the other 5% that it is noticeable is on bright content although again, you can just barely make it out while staring directly at that portion of the screen. I found this set to be mildly to moderately prone to minor/moderate image retention (not burn in). I believe the burn in I experienced on this set had something to do with the power outage incident which I explained above. After about 800 or so hours (before the burn in incident) on this TV I had it professionally calibrated by a very highly regarded independent calibrator with great results.

My 65ZT60 on the other hand was broken in with full screen, colored slides for a full 300 hours then professionally calibrated by a different but no less respected and well known independent calibrator in my area with spectacular results. I do not play video games at all on this set and will never do so. I never watch anything that has any static images or station bugs without changing the channel during commercials or flipping back and forth between two different shows etcetera. I don't watch much regular tv so most of what I watch via NETFLIX/HBO GO/APPLE TV is full screen, usually HD and never has any bugs/logos or static images. The ZT is about as susceptible to image retention as the VT30 but, with the ZT, it seems some parts of the screen are more prone to it than others. The left hand side of the screen seems to be much less prone to I.R. than the right side of the screen. That damned FOX sports logo bug (upper right side of screen) almost got me a couple of times during football season but thankfully, it never "stuck" and my ZT is completely free of any burn in. Watching Yankee games however, the scoreboard in the upper left side of the screen hardly ever show much I.R.

Even with the latest technology Panasonic couldn't completely get rid of I.R. and burn in in severe cases unfortunately. I think it's just a realistic downside of plasma technology and while the latest sets are certainly much less likely to suffer burn in, it's still entirely possible if care isn't taken. So, watch wisely.

Even with the possibility of I.R. and/or potential burn in, I enjoy these plasmas so much, especially the ZT60 (wish I coulda bought 6 of em), that it's worth that little bit of hassle of having to be mindful of what I watch and for how long.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
I did this. I may be incorrect, but I don't think breaking in the screen properly would have any affect on how well it resists image retention later on.
I agree. From my understanding, as long as it's not damaged, (burned), the biggest factor is time. They're much more sensitive in the beginning. As they age, resistance to retention goes up, but not to the level of immunity. Again, static images are the most harmful, so any movement on the screen is beneficial, whether it's old or being broken in. Point is, like gdstupak said, the panels resistance will mature, due to time. Not procedure, and, the same 5 hours of COD will have had a bigger impact(retention wise)after 10 hrs playback vs 1000 hrs. Btw, ur English is "way mo gooder" than plenty of English speakers. Lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
thanks again! :T

I play the slides with picture mode on custom mode with factory settings is this fine? I also read it should be on normal mode or cinema...does it matter a lot on which mode it is for the slides? which settings are you using?

Another question i have is which hdd should be used for recording tv?
Panasonic recommends: Your TV has been confirmed to record via USB to the following USB-HDD models.
(You must use an AC adaptor.)
Maker Model Number
Buffalo Drive Station HD-AVS2.0U3
HD-AVS1.0U3
Western Digital My Book AV-TV WDBGLG0020HBK
WDBGLG0010HBK

Can I use only these hdd models? What is the difference between normaal hdd and av-tv hdd?
What should be used as NAS? I'm thinking about the synology DS214play it can be used with DLNA, the panasonics media server also uses DLNA. I can't record tv on a NAS or can I?

·
Registered
918 Posts
I haven't done a scientific experiment but the color slides seem to clear my screen faster if I use a brighter Picture Mode such as THX Bright Room. I only use the brighter setting if running slides for a shorter period of time (i.e. 1-2 hours). If I run them overnight (i.e. 5-6 hours) then I leave it on the dimmer setting of Custom.
Also, I have added four full white pics, one displays between each of the major color changes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just purchased a Samsung PN60F5300 and will get it sometime next week.

Would love to watch the whole LOTR trilogy, back to back to back, but will wait for the burn in period... I'm very excited to join the (fading?) plasma group.

Coming from an LG 47" LCD which was thoroughly calibrated, I really like its PQ. Can only imagine what the Samsung 60" plasma will do for me. :)

81 - 96 of 96 Posts