Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Sounds like you had some image retention, which is really different than burn-in. Burn-in is actually differential aging in parts of the display and is permanent, though it can get covered up in time by reverse aging patterns. IR is a temporary condition.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Yep, only slight burn but it's there on both Panasonic displays.

We have both screens used as a permanent video-link between two offices, so the images are very static most of the time. Even with pixel shifting, much reduced contrast etc, they've still slightly burnt. NB: We could detect burn after one days use.

I know that I'll be gaming on the screen I select, which could be for several hours at weekend. I'd hate to get damage to a screen. It's basically screen burn & fluorescence vs dead pixels & blur. Choices, choices. :)
As said above, sounds like IR.
Also, you had stated they were Pioneer's before but Panasonic's now?

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I'm out looking for a new 50" display in the next few months, and as of right now I'm open to either plasma or LCD, although after reading this thread I may start with the plasmas. The room it will be going in has good light control, and a wide viewing angle, so off axis picture will be important. Features aren't going to be a deciding factor, the most important will be overall picture quality. HDMI 1.3 would be important, and several HDMI inputs would be helpful since I do not have a switching receiver. Finally, I'd like to keep the budget around $2,000 CDN. I'll be checking out stores over the next little while, and I'll try to report back any findings. Recommendations are always welcome.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
I would recommend the Pioneer Kuro as mentioned previously in the thread. Check with forum sponsors. These days prices are falling to below $2000 USD. My $0.02 (USD) :bigsmile:

·
Registered
414 Posts
I dont see the big deal of the kuro.

I have a panasonic, and watched; The Descent, The Cave and I Am Legend, both at times featuring near pitch black, or pitch black enviroments, and it looked as real as any TV can get close to being.

My dad and I own Panasonic Plasmas, best TVs out there. I wouldnt buy any other flat screen TV even if I had the money. I also know i would never waste my money on a LCD. I can instantly tell the difference between a Plasma and LCD.

I bought my 46" 1080p Panasonic from Costco for $989.99

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
The big deal is that the blacks are more black. It is simple really. You do not find the small difference important enough to pay the extra $$ for and other people do. The blacks on your Panasonic are a lighter shade of gray than on the Pioneer. Is it a big enough distraction to justify the cost? For you or for me, it may not be that important. For many it is. I would like to know where they are discounted so much, however, if it is true.

·
Registered
414 Posts
However that may be, have ya read the new article?

I quote;

Last week, Pioneer announced it was killing off its critically acclaimed TV business by March 2010 and will concentrate on car and audio/visual systems. It was a dramatic fall for a company that just one year ago had CES abuzz with its newest plasma TV, the so-called “Ultimate Black” Kuro.

Panasonic is in good position to benefit from Kuro’s death. Most of the Pioneer engineers who came up with Kuro switched sides and are now working for Panasonic. In addition, recent demos have shown that Panasonic plasmas are nearing Kuro quality.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
It is unlikely that Panasonic will duplicate the Kuro in the short term. Corporate and engineering momentum generally takes much more than a few engineers being transplanted to change. Over time the performance of the Pioneer is likely to be equalled or bettered but don't expect it right away. The Pioneer sets should remain available for some time well into this year, perhaps until early 2010.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Well, I've been shopping around, and I started out focused on plasmas, in particular the Panasonic Viera 80 and 800 series, which seem to get good reviews and be the budget alternative to the Kuro (at least the 80 series, the 800 is similarly priced). The Kuro looked great, and the Viera did too, however I found myself looking back at a lot of the LCD monitors as well. There was a Sony LCD next to the Panny, and it consistently looked sharper, and the off-axis viewing was completely fine. Also the Samsung LCDs looked very sharp, and had pretty good colour.

Now all of this was in a store setup environment, and a few of the sets were being fed the same signal (Panny and Sony) split to about 30 sets, and a few (Kuro, Samsung) each had their own BluRay players, so there were signal quality and consistency issues for sure, but if nothing else was learned from that trip, it's that there are a lot of good looking displays out there right now, and it seems like it is more difficult to choose something bad these days. More research and viewing is required, and I'll try to check out some more high end stores, to find each set with its own dedicated source material.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
My experience with the sets is that there are things to like and dislike about either. The LCD sets have come a long way and have closed the gap to the point where you have to compare model vs model rather than generalize about the technologies. Decide what your priorities are and look for those points in comparison. Whatever you do, get the set calibrated properly.

·
Registered
46 Posts
however I found myself looking back at a lot of the LCD monitors as well. There was a Sony LCD next to the Panny, and it consistently looked sharper, and the off-axis viewing was completely fine. Also the Samsung LCDs looked very sharp, and had pretty good colour.QUOTE]

Hi Owen,

One of the things to remember when looking at plasmas and LCDs in the store is that most LCDs are capable of producing a brighter image than a plasma (by brighter, I mean that it has a higher lumen output). Therefore, the LCD's will typically draw your attention more when placed side by side, like in a store setting. However, none of the store models are anywhere near calibrated.

Good luck on the hunt. I have a plasma (Panasonic Viera 70) and my parents have an LCD (Samsung 630). I really enjoy watching both of them, so nowadays, I don't think you'll go wrong with either.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Yep, I'm still looking, while trying to ignore the store display brightness/contrast. It seems that the easiest thing to focus on is the sharpness of the picture, and so far from what I've seen, the advantage seems to be with LCD, particularly the Samsung 700 series (LN52A750). I'm going to eventually narrow my list down to a couple of both plasma and LCD displays and find a way to spend some time with each one hooked directly to a nice BluRay source, and play with settings.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Hey Owen, may I ask what your viewing distance is for the plasmas? Also, what size of TVs you are viewing?

·
Registered
533 Posts
I have to agree with most if not everything said here about LCD vs Plasma...

I was just shopping at Best Buy and chatting quite a bit with the cute girl that was in that dept. they had an entire wall of the store dedicate to both types of displays... I was there shopping for a TV that I had to fit in a certain spot for my mom, I grabbed a 26" sharp that had a built in DVD player, just for ease of use for her. For her, its fine and better then what she had that died.

I honestly don't care for LCD, I have a 42" & 50" 720p panasonic pro panels, and to me they are better then any LCD I have seen even though they are not 1080p. Today I pulled the trigger on a Panasonic 65" PZ850U for an awesome price, and I'll be doing all my scaling with an Anthem D2v, I'm really excited to get that bad boy up and running... :)

It may not beat the Pioneer in blacks, I'll give that up for the extra 5", but I have seen the 58" unit and its just spectacular in nature. I have put off the 1080p upgrade for a long time, but now that I have the D2v on the way, it will be worth having a top notch display.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Care to translate? My Scottish slang is a bit rusty.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I just made the jump from LCD to Plasma for my main TV system

I went from an XBR2 to a Panasonic V series.

I'm loving the beautiful blacks, it just kills the XBR2 in every way (not even close)
My room isn't very bright, but definitely in some ways I'm worse off

- Reflections in the screen are a lot more obvious. It's definitely a step back. I loved the matte screen of the LCD, hard to see any reflections at all even when a lamp was in the background. The new Plasma has (which is considered a good) AR screen so it already helps a lot but reflections are too obvious. You can see in my first picture that even with a lamp in the background, you can hardly notice it on the screen. With my second picture, the reflections made taking the picture very hard, that's why the image on the screen looks washed out.

- We still watch a fair bit of 4:3, and watching with light grey bars, or stretch modes (as recommended by the manual) really sucks. With LCD, I never worried about it and always ran SD in 4:3 mode with black bars.

- The Plasma burns 3 times the power consumption while on.

- Having to be extra careful during the first 100-1000 hours of burn-in (as recommended by Panasonic) is a nuisance.

- I kind of miss the extra pop due to the brightness of the LCD. It just has more wow factor when watching sports and such.

Other than that the TV is great but you definitely go four steps forward, three steps back. So for me, the switch was bittersweet.

21 - 40 of 80 Posts