Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
After much debate I bought myself a Panasonic G15-50 plasma and I am really happy with it... it's got the new pixel orbital technology to prevent burn in... I think these new panny plasmas come very close if not at par with the Kuros's in creating some stunning blacks.... the wow factor is very high...

My panny pulls in anywhere from 280 to 360 watts depending on the colors displayed..which is as much as my old 55" RPTV..so I don't know why people fuss about the power consumption.. it's rather a moot point.. It's got four settings which include a THX and Vivid if you want things bright as a LCD....

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
What is new about pixel orbiting? It has never really been effective in reducing burn in because the patterns that burn in are larger than the orbit by quite a bit, usually.

Power consumption for some may not be insignificant. Many LCDs will run as much as 100 watts lower for your size pix. It may not seem like much to you, but others may find the difference important. Personally, I don't see any reason not to favor more efficient sets if all else is equal, and many of the newer LCD sets are quite reasonable in performance.

There are many factors that go into this decision, and many of them are matters of personal preference or priority. The technologies are close enough in performance that brand and model can make more difference than the technology. Frankly, I think the title of the thread poses a very outdated question.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
My panny pulls in anywhere from 280 to 360 watts depending on the colors displayed..which is as much as my old 55" RPTV..so I don't know why people fuss about the power consumption.. it's rather a moot point.. It's got four settings which include a THX and Vivid if you want things bright as a LCD....
280-360watts! yikes thats enough to make me not want to buy a Plasma. And using the Vivid setting in any display regularly is going to kill it in a very big hurry.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
In all honesty, I find television power consumption is a wash. After proper calibration, the actual power usage is a decent amount lower anyway.

I agree with lcaillo partially. Pixel orbiter is not new and I don't think it does THAT much however I will slightly go a different route in saying that plasma technologies improved so much that burn-in is really a thing of the past. Pixel Orbiters are still somewhat useful for people like me that play a lot of video games, but as lcaillo said it's really not going to reduce burn-in as much as you would thing, if burn-in were really an issue.

The thing to remember for plasmas is just to be aware, especially during the first 100-200 hours of usage. If you are going to leave your TV on while you do something for more than 5-10 minutes, I would turn the screen off or turn on a screen saver. This will save the headache and worry about possible image retention. Otherwise, I would sit back and enjoy my new set!! As I said, I play video games a lot and games in general have LOTS of chances of having burn-in and in the year and a half I've had my Pioneer plasma, I've not experience one instance of it.

I might add, turning your TV off also is a recommendation for LCD users that might be worried about power consumption, too. It's a good idea not to leave the TV on for too long if it's not necessary.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
...plasma technologies improved so much that burn-in is really a thing of the past.
Jon, this is a dangerous overstatement. It is correct to say that burn-in is much less of a possible problem than in the past, but it is still very real and WILL occur if you leave the same pattern on a PDP continuously, especially at high contrast levels. I continue to see it in relatively new sets all the time. People who don't know any better, who buy from vendors who do not properly warn them, burn PDPs rather frequently. Just leave something with banners on constantly or do nothing but watch 4:3 sources with the set on vivid and see what happens.

Plasma is still a phosphor based system and as such will have aging. Differential aging of parts of the screen is what we call burn in. With a little awareness, a reasonable attempt at calibration, and varied viewing, it is completely preventable. With ignorance and or carelessness, however, it still happens. One of the downsides to the demise of specialty retailiers is the lack of customer education that can occur on matters like this one.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Plasma is not for everyone... if you have young kids that play a lot of games and so forth... get an lcd... On the other hand if you are a videophile then Plasma is for you...

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Again, these generalizations are tough to justify. I have lots of clients that use their PDPs for games with no problems at all. OTOH, it is really hard to beat the picture of the best LCD sets. There are things to dislike about both technologies and things that they do exceptionally, if the set is a well executed example of the technology. There are very mediocre sets in both as well. I suggest comparing specific models rather than generalizing about the technologies. It is hard to beat the Panasonic PDPs for performance per size, but frankly, if I had a choice without consideration for cost, the Sony LCD sets are really hard to beat in picture performance.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I do firmly believe that both technologies have their benefits and their market. I really enjoy seeing the quality on both, LCDs and PDPs, and seeing how they compare and as I said before, each type of image caters two different crowds.

I will now remain pretty dedicated in the PDP camp as the images they put out are more favorable to what I like, but I still won't hesitate to make an LCD recommendation, based on the individual's preferences.

canaris, that's not entirely true. I am a pretty avid gamer and a videophile and a plasma suits me just fine.

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
After owning both I prefer the PQ that I get with the LCD over plasma, and with the new LED backlighting technology it is even better, HD material looks stunning...speaking to someone the other day and they are the complete opposite to me and prefer the plasma image quality and in particular motion and the way it is handled compared to LCD...

considering how the technology for both has moved on so much over the years it really is great time to invest as panels are so much cheaper now, looking forward to seeing some of the 3D units that are now being developed...

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
From the majority of people I speak to they do prefer Plasmas over LCD, I was having a good look at the Samsung LCD's with LED backlighting and PQ was superb, HD material tends to always look great on LCD panels but with SD not anywhere near as good, this is where plasma TV's are better, also on some LCD motion cannot be as good, but the technology is getting better :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
I hate to be a stick in the mud but My Hitachi RPTV 50 inch has a really good picture at 1080i .. My dad who is now 79 years old bought a 42inch Samsung , and I still believe my RPTV has a better picture.. Also I love the Auto Focus Feature on my RPTV.. Thats just me ... If I had to choose between LCD and Plasma I would Choose LCD... I am also intrested in the LED tv's

·
Registered
63 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with the Panasonic Viera TC-P65V10? Thanks.
Well you can check out one of my frnd review of Panasonic Viera TC-P65V10;

"I've been waiting for months for the 65 inch V10 to become available. Almost pre-ordered it online several times, but was leary of ordering before it was in stock. Happened into Best Buy on Fri Aug 21 and saw the 58" on display. Asked about the 65" and found out the store had just received one that day and intended to set it up for display the next day. After a short negotiation I had secured this first set for $3899 ($100 off MSRP) and had it delivered free on the following Tuesday. First thing I did after setting it up was to switch the picture setting from Vivid to THX and the picture was amazing. Flipped through a few channels and watched some dark scenes from shows on my DVR that I had been saving just for this purpose. The clarity in low light scenes better than I had imagined. I have played with the custom pro picture settings some, but haven't spent enough time to get it looking better than THX yet. I have enjoyed the Viera Cast features, especially the weather and YouTube. I was watching a movie on cable and started wondering what other movies had the same director. I paused the show, switched to YouTube and looked up the director's name and watched a few clips of him taling about the movie I was watching and a few others he had directed, then went back and watched the rest of the movie. It was nice to be able to do this without having to pull out my laptop. I was also impressed with the picture quality from YouTube, even when I put it on full screen (I don't think most YT videos are prepared to be displayed at 65", but it still looked pretty clear!) I haven't rented a movie from the Amazon download service yet, but I'll have to try it. I can't believe that the picture will equal BluRay though- which reminds me... For some reason it was nearly three days of watching this set before I remembered that I hadn't see a BluRay disk on it. I had been too caught up playing with the settings and Viera Cast and setting up my Harmony report (which is a little tricky to get set up for Viera Cast because I wanted the direction pad to control the DRV when watching cable and to control the TV when using VC, but I figured it out.) Anyway, I finally got around to putting in a BluRay disc and the picture went to a whole other level - like nothing I'd seen before. Going back to Comcast compressed 1080i HD signal after BluRay was like looking through a mist. Now I can't rent BR movies fast enough. I almost want to stop watching my favorite shows on TV and wait for the season to come out on BluRay.
Well, if you're still reading- I love this TV -I want to stop writing now, go close the shades and start watching. "

·
Registered
402 Posts
Well you can check out one of my frnd review of Panasonic Viera TC-P65V10;

"I've been waiting for months for the 65 inch V10 to become available. Almost pre-ordered it online several times, but was leary of ordering before it was in stock. Happened into Best Buy on Fri Aug 21 and saw the 58" on display. Asked about the 65" and found out the store had just received one that day and intended to set it up for display the next day. After a short negotiation I had secured this first set for $3899 ($100 off MSRP) and had it delivered free on the following Tuesday. First thing I did after setting it up was to switch the picture setting from Vivid to THX and the picture was amazing. Flipped through a few channels and watched some dark scenes from shows on my DVR that I had been saving just for this purpose. The clarity in low light scenes better than I had imagined. I have played with the custom pro picture settings some, but haven't spent enough time to get it looking better than THX yet. I have enjoyed the Viera Cast features, especially the weather and YouTube. I was watching a movie on cable and started wondering what other movies had the same director. I paused the show, switched to YouTube and looked up the director's name and watched a few clips of him taling about the movie I was watching and a few others he had directed, then went back and watched the rest of the movie. It was nice to be able to do this without having to pull out my laptop. I was also impressed with the picture quality from YouTube, even when I put it on full screen (I don't think most YT videos are prepared to be displayed at 65", but it still looked pretty clear!) I haven't rented a movie from the Amazon download service yet, but I'll have to try it. I can't believe that the picture will equal BluRay though- which reminds me... For some reason it was nearly three days of watching this set before I remembered that I hadn't see a BluRay disk on it. I had been too caught up playing with the settings and Viera Cast and setting up my Harmony report (which is a little tricky to get set up for Viera Cast because I wanted the direction pad to control the DRV when watching cable and to control the TV when using VC, but I figured it out.) Anyway, I finally got around to putting in a BluRay disc and the picture went to a whole other level - like nothing I'd seen before. Going back to Comcast compressed 1080i HD signal after BluRay was like looking through a mist. Now I can't rent BR movies fast enough. I almost want to stop watching my favorite shows on TV and wait for the season to come out on BluRay.
Well, if you're still reading- I love this TV -I want to stop writing now, go close the shades and start watching. "
This is really good to hear, as my 65V10 was just delivered, after a disastrous attempt at mirror cleaning in my WS65511 RPTV (by yours truly...:doh:). The biggest "problem" I face is the fact that the Panny/TV Stand combo is completely a completely different presence (size, open to air, etc), so this weekend I need to take a new FR map of the room and see if it was affected (It was pretty flat down to 17Hz). The other issue is breaking in the set. I don't really relish the thought of using the "zoom" on 2:35 films for the first 300 hours just to avoid IR of the black bars. Now I am just waiting for the HDMI cables to arrive from Blue Jeans Cable...

61 - 80 of 80 Posts