Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I sell most of my aircraft, but I really like it when I give them to young children that pretend that they are flying and then they destroy the aircraft.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know if anyone reads these postings, but I have more hobbies that a cat has whiskers. I build plastic aircraft. I have about 200 in my "stash" of which I give away about 50 a year to the guys in combat areas, giving them things to do. I also donate some to Cub and Boy Scout troops.
I also collect old coins for the fun of it. Most of my coins are barely worth face value because I try not to get into it too much. My wife is the one that collects money to spend it. When my mother passed a few years ago, she gave Dad's coin collection to my brother and me. It was given to my brother and he sent me a list. I've got the greatest brother. I looked at the list and then told my brother that he should divide it the way he felt. I think he would give away his home if someone asked him for it, because I think he gave me the best coins. I tried to tell him to redo it and he said he didn't want to because he never wanted anyone to think he would cheat them. He's my younger brother, so I left it all to him when I die. I did get about 20 $2 bills that were in great shape.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My greatest hobby is my theater. Before my wife and I got married, she lived in a mobile home that had an extension in the front and an addition in the back. My wife lived with her parents before we got married. After her father died, she lived with her mother with umpteen dogs and cats. They kept their house spotless with no fleas or any other critter. She was 47 when we got married. I first met her when I was 21 and she was 19. I asked her out but she had just started dating a guy and would date me. I understood. In the mean time, I met my first wife. I was 22 when I married her and we had 3 children. I was in the Army at the time. When I got out of the Army, I went to college to become a CPA (Can I say it was a dumb profession. It was like going out to the battlefield and stabbing all of the dead men.) Anyway, I worked for a CPA firm then I went to work of the State of NC. I worked and went to school my first two years of college. I also had the GI Bill to help pay my way through school. In my 2nd year of college, a farmer broad-sided me with his truck and put me in the hospital in traction for 2 weeks. My professors helped me make up my work when I was discharged. Then my wife would go to school everyday to get my assignments. I made straight "A's" during that time. I helped take care of our 2 year old and my 4 month old while I was home. I got up at 2am and 6 am to feed them and let my wife sleep. She worked hard. I was out of school for about a year due to my injuries. I hated to do what I did, but I got an attorney and sued the farmer. The jury awarded me $2 million, but the appeals courts knocked it down to $500,000. Again, I hated to do it, but you can't imagine the pain and suffering I went through as well as the drag of my school work. He had to sell his farm and house to pay, of which, I only got $300,000. I learned to hate lawyers. I dreamed about how I could get back at my attorney and make him lose his license. I tried to figure out the perfect murder, but would always get caught by Matlock.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyway, during my recuperation time, I learned to build model aircraft.
I finally got my degree. My wife worked full time as a secretary to the Director of Library Services at my university. I had a part-time job at the library re-stacking the books that had been returned. We saved as much money as we could, because we were able to live comfortably on my GI Bill and our earnings. I was very lucky too. I passed all parts of the CPA exam the first time. The CPA firm I worked, would give $1,000 to whoever scored the highest. Luckily, I won the money but made a lifetime enemy. I was 27 when I took it with a wife and 3 screaming brats at home. (They weren't that bad.) The guy that I beat out, was 22, drove a year old Corvette and his family paid all of his schooling. What a chump. Just before I found out that I had scored the highest, a friend of mine had gone to work for the State Auditors of NC and told me that the benefits outweighed those of the CPA firm, so I applied for a job and was hired. After I cashed the check, I told my boss that I would be leaving at the end of the next week. I think he could have chewed a metal rod in half he was so mad. However, they had a party for me and he told me he was happy for me, but he would miss me. (Our parties were great. We went to Myrtle Beach, SC and he took me to a strip club. I had never been to anything like that and my face turned red and I had to go to the bathroom to throw up. It made me sick and I never, ever did anything like that again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When my wife turned 22, she said she didn't want to be a secretary anymore and that she wanted to be a Registered Nurse. I told he that I would support and help her anyway I could. She did great and was the top nurse in their graduating class. She took and passed her Nursing Board exam and she did well on that test. She took extra courses so she could be an oncology nurse. One of her patients was Jimmy Carter's (President Jimmy Carter). He had cancer. One time, brother Jimmy brought in 4 bras. I asked my wife what that was all about and he told me that Rosalyn always got bras from this one manufacturer and she wanted to do something nice. Hospital policy was that nurse's could not accept any gifts, but it seems that President Jimmy had talked to the Hospital Administrator and that it would be all right. I didn't find out until later that Rosalyn had gotten President Jimmy to get some personal data, i.e., size, etc. If I had known that he had asked that kind of personal question, I would have reported him to one of the tabloid, but I didn't, and all's well that end's well.
Anyway, I had just finished my MBA degree and life seemed to be great. My oldest daughter had graduated from high school and she was going out west to a college close to my family out their. My son was a senior in high school and was their lead left-handed pitcher and the scouts were all looking at him. My youngest had just started high school, but she had asthma and was very sick. She was in and out of the hospital. Thankfully, my wife was a nurse and could give her the treatments that she needed. During March of my son's senior year, I was jogging down a main highway and the road narrowed. I had to run on the road because there was a 30 feet drop off on my right. As luck would have it, (bad luck) a milk truck with his rear view mirror stuck out and it hit me on the back of my left shoulder, knocking me in the air and down the 30 foot ravine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Someone put plastic over me because they thought I was dead, but luckily, there was a nurse that brought me back to life. I was, again, put in the hospital for back surgery. I had 4 more over the next few years. I had lost the use of my legs, but my luck held out because I found a great rehab center and I finally could walk, but I was still in constant pain. My doctor made me quit working and he knew someone with Social Security and he got my paperwork back and although it took 4 years to get it through, it finally came through, retroactive to the time of my injury. It was great because I got State disability during those 4 years. When Social Security became active, I got it almost $90K, but the IRS got $17K. I thought we were finally going to get straight, but my wife's doctor found a mass when she had her annual physical. That was October, 1994. By January, 1995, I had lost her to cancer. I wanted to go with her.
Thankfully, a friend of mine got me in touch with my #2 wife who had never been married, not that she didn't have an offer, but she just couldn't find the right person. Anyway, on November 22, 1996, we were married and her mother adopted me along with her 4 dogs and 6 cats. The cats were outside because my wife is allergic to them. The dogs slept in the utility room. Since then, we've changed dogs, but lost all the casts. Her mother died on my 57th birthday 2009. We had to move to her home because you're only allowed 3 dogs in the city and her mother left us 5, so we had 8 dogs and 2 cats. We have lost both cats now and 2 dogs. One of the dogs was her mother's favorite.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts