Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the plate amp, a Dayton DSP1200 has failed and sadly, is not longer in production. Parts-Express is willing to offer a refund toward another amplifier but the closest they have is 1000w without the built in DSP, and that plate amp also requires a larger cut out. I can also go external with various options from Crown, QSC etc, or this from Dayton

But that leaves me with a big hole in the back of my subwoofer.

I can also take my refund ($464) and buy a plate amp elsewhere

Help....

·
Registered
13 Posts
A used 12" driver is what you basically have left, correct? Take the refund. Sell the driver on Ebay or CL. Buy a New or Used Subwoofer. 100's of ported plate amp subs out these days. I prefer sealed subs myself.
Good luck Lemon

·
Registered
7 Posts
So the plate amp, a Dayton DSP1200 has failed and sadly, is not longer in production. Parts-Express is willing to offer a refund toward another amplifier but the closest they have is 1000w without the built in DSP, and that plate amp also requires a larger cut out. I can also go external with various options from Crown, QSC etc, or this from Dayton

But that leaves me with a big hole in the back of my subwoofer.

I can also take my refund ($464) and buy a plate amp elsewhere

Help....
Do you need the on-board DSP or are you using some other base management approach like Audyssey or Dirac in your AVR?
If you don't need it, I'd go for the 1000 watt unit, open the cut-out and get it back on line. Should be and easy-peasy mod. If you don't have the needed wood working tools, I'm sure you have a friend that does. About a 15 minute project I would guess.
Good luck
Sal1950

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I decided to just take the amp to a local repair shop. I am using the DSP built into the amp, really worked well using the provided microphone and auto set up. I really want the clean set up on a plate amp instead of an external and the enclosure is wrapped in Formica so cutting it up would be tricky for someone less experienced in building like myself. Here is the thread when I built it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I decided to just take the amp to a local repair shop. I am using the DSP built into the amp, really worked well using the provided microphone and auto set up. I really want the clean set up on a plate amp instead of an external and the enclosure is wrapped in Formica so cutting it up would be tricky for someone less experienced in building like myself. Here is the thread when I built it.

Kool, Hope that works out great for you.
Thanks for sharing the build post.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts