Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a plate amp for a new HT DIY sub project. I am looking far a 500w. I do have some concerns though from reviews I have read on some. The Dayton 500 seems to have a humming issue and sleep pop. I also believe that the Bash on The Parts express sight has a sleep mode pop issue but may be wrong on this. Let me know from everyones experience what is a good one. Also any reviews on the Yung. I just don't want to buy a new amp and have these type of issues

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,377 Posts
The Dayton 500 watt I have has the humming issue too, but it doesn't make any popping sounds at least. Another one to consider is the O Audio. It's out of stock at the moment, but that's a pretty good amp.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah. I contacted oaudio the other day to see when they would become available and he didn't have a date as of yet. I guess the good thing is is that I am just in the beginning stages of my sub build so I do have sometime yet before I need to make the purchase. I am building a ported enclosure with 2 x 4" ports with a Dayton rss390hf-15. Enclosure is about 9.5 cubic foot. Just picked up the wood yesterday to start cutting but need an amp to power the thing

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,377 Posts
Yeah. I contacted oaudio the other day to see when they would become available and he didn't have a date as of yet.
That doesn't strike me as encouraging. I would think they had at least an estimate or projection. To have no idea at all is curious, especially considering they've been out of stock for at least a month already.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have u heard anything on the Yung or the Bash on the parts express site? I believe they are digital which may eliminate these issues? Not really sure but I have a hard time dropping a couple hundred dollars for something that has some inherent quality issues.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Plate amp quality

Mike-tuning will be at approximately 16hz. I think the bash has a filter at 18 so I would be fine. The box size is 26 13/16" cubed with 2 x 4" ports x 13 1/4" long. My room size is large and am going to be replacing a paradigm ps1000 which has done well but is way to small for my know area and wanted to give the DIY a go. Have some ok skills with wood and electrical and have heard good things on the forum about people to their own. So I wanted to put something together that will last and be good. That's why I want to go with a good amp. If a pro amp would work better maybe that is the route I would have to go, but I'd rather use a plate amp. The pro amp I was looking at was the Behringer inuke 1000dsp. Thoughts on that

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for that information. I will make the adjustment on my port lengths. By chance are their any other brands of plate amps. Most likely I will go with the bash 500 but would like to review other options if there are any. Thanks again

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks that that clears that up. The bash 500 it is. What do you think about the box dimensions for the sub matched with that amp. Do you think that would be an optimal size enclosure with the ports for that combo or would there be a better size enclosure.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What I'll do is increase the size to 27 cubed versus the 26 13/16. Will ad a tad bit more volume and should help with the port clearance some unless that will totally throw of the calculations

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This maybe be a simple question but does it matter if I have the ports fire on the rear side of the sub mount. Say if I have the sub mounted on front does it matter if the ports are in the rear or do they need to be in the same face as the sub. Does it make any difference in sound quality

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah. I'm kind of in a holding pattern right now on the amp. I was hoping to pick up an oaudio 500w but they are out of stock currently. Don't think I'd purchase the Dayton because of the hum and sleep mode pop. So really I am just in a biding my time on my project at this time till I can come up with a good quality amp.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts