Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building my first DIY sub using a 12" from a Polk Audio DSW Pro 660wi which the amp and enclosure came to an untimely end.. Keeping with the same basic design of cabinet structure but in this case I will house the amp in a seperate enclosure as I believe this is what caused issues with the original amp. A good no frills plate amp will be adequate for my needs. I have been looking at Daytons offerings and also Bash so any advice would be great.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hadn't thought about the Yung, thanks for mentioning it.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,371 Posts
The Daytons definitely hum - I have an SPA500 and it's quite noticeable unfortunately.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it a 60 cycle hum from the power supply or ground loop or a combination of both? Seems to be some conflicting information from owners and from Dayton.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,371 Posts
Is it a 60 cycle hum from the power supply or ground loop or a combination of both? Seems to be some conflicting information from owners and from Dayton.
I have a ground loop isolator on my cable feed, which took care of that part. With the Dayton I've tried using one of those "cheater" plugs on the power cord, but it didn't make a noticeable difference, so it's probably not a 60Hz hum.

Being a reviewer I get my hands on all kinds of subwoofers. Of the 15-20 that I've had I think only 2 made the noise, and one of them has the Dayton amp. Since I use the same power cord (for the most part), RCA cable and surge protector for all of them that leads me to believe it's the amp and not something associated to my environment.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the great info theJman. A friend has an older Bash 300 amp he said I can use when I finish the cabinet build for testing and what not.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts