Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, quick parts sourcing question from a n00b. I'm going to be building a sub in the near future and will need to power it with a 200w-300w amp.

I've checked PE, they have their BASH 300 in stock for $150, the Dayton 240w is out of stock and looks like it will be available about the time the next ASOIAF book is out :rolleyesno:

The only other amp I know about is the Oaudio 300, which is also out of stock.

Are there other amps (or vendors) in this price / watt range I should consider - it does not have to be a plate amp. If possible, I'd like something with HPF capability but it is not a showstopper.

Many thanks!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm. The O-Audio 500w is $229... I believe it's in stock..

You trying to keep under 200w?
I was hoping to keep it on the cheap, hence my preferance for the Dayton 240w. I've pretty much decided I'm going to build a THT around the MFW-15 driver ($79) and was hoping to keep the whole build under $250. That way if I find that I don't like the beast, I'm not out too much cabbage and I can reuse the driver and amp in a ported or sealed box for a friend.

I've been watching both Oaudio and PE and the lower end amps are backordered, and backordered, and backordered....

Might just spring for the BASH 300 at PE, it's only $150.

·
Registered
28 Posts
hey what sub do you currently have. I have a Tuba HT powered by a behringer ep 2500. That amp is around 200 on ebay and would easily destroy the O audio amp. I believe it has 2000 watts bridged. As far as not liking this sub. I don't see how you couldn't love it. It is way to powerful for a home to be honest with you. This thing should not be allowed in a residential building for fear of earthquaking your home into a pile of rubble. Unless your looking for something specifically for music that has to be very fast and tactile, then the tuba is the way to go. Don't get me wrong it sounds great for music, pounds like your at the club, but for movies I just don't see how it could be beat, I owned a AV123 and was probably the first person to use the guts too build a Tuba HT, as least it makes me feel good believing that. LOL. But anyway the driver and amp worked great for the Tuba until I blew the amp. The Tuba absolutely demolishes the Av123 sub, and that sub was ranked top 5 on craigsub.

Note. I"m just like you, I using someone else's behringer ep 2500 to power my sub and need a new amp but don't want to spend 200, but just might have to, to get my own ep 2500.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I bought the Dayton on sale for one hundred. For that price I think it's a good deal. I had horrible ground loop hum when I plugged mine in but a cheater plug got rid of it.

It seems to do the job for me. I would have rather found a used pro amp but had an immediate need and budget was really limited too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts