Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time posting for a beginner so please be kind

I am trying to design and build a low profile sub to place it under the screen
a low profile as i am restricted to a height of 45cm ( 18 inches )
and the centre speaker will be stacked on top - not too sure if this a good idea :dontknow:

My theatre room is 3.5m x 5m x 2.5m ( 11.5' x16.2'x 8.1' ) and the sub will be used mainly for movies >90%

The driver that I have in mind is exodus which is readily available here in Australia.
Price difference for the Shiva and Tempest is only 18 dollars !!
I would really like to use the tempest although i know i will be pushing the limit given the dimension restriction. - may be a downfiring can get around this
Oaudio 500w plate amp or Hypex 400w or 800w

I am leaning towards a slot port enclosure ( daunting as this is my first attempt, fully aware that sealed is easier for beginner )
Thank to the forum for the enclosure calculator
I have worked out the Net volume of ~200L based on a box demension of 45cm x 50cm x 120cm ( 18"x20"x47" ) with vertical slot port 4.7cm x45cm x 80cm, tuned to 26HZ , 2 perpendicular braces front to back

Question :

1 if i have 2 slot port on both end , does that mean the port length required will be half ?

2. is the Adire Tempest in WinISD the same as exodus tempest ? I have noticed the difference in driver parameters.

Please feel free to contribute , remodel or just tell me that I am completely crazy to come up with this stupid design.

I need a lot of hand holding :help: and thanking all in advance

Sincerely
Ray

·
Registered
252 Posts
1 if i have 2 slot port on both end , does that mean the port length required will be half ?
If you add a slot port of the same dimension (HxW), you actually need to double the port length of each to maintain the same tuning frequency. WinISD will allow you to compare all of these parameters.

2. is the Adire Tempest in WinISD the same as exodus tempest ? I have noticed the difference in driver parameters.
No ... the model you want for the current Tempest-X2 is here

Steve

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have done more thinking and playing with the WinISD

Can someone enlighten me to the clearance needed for the downfiring sub.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
You want a 2" at least. You want it to be a little larger than the Xmech of the driver.

Slot ports aren't too bad actually. Especially with duals. I'm considering that for my next design actually. You can just run it along the corners.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Slot ports aren't too bad actually. Especially with duals. I'm considering that for my next design actually. You can just run it along the corners.

I struck problem with the dual slot as the port length is waaayyy too long
so back to drawing board

1 - 9 of 9 Posts