Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I ran my first two sub graphs yesterday and I am confused with 1) what the results mean and 2) what I need to do next.

I am using a RS SPL meter at the listening position. I calibrated the sound card and SPL meter as per the instructions.

I ran one test with the sub firing at me and one with the sub firing at the wall.

1) Which one is better?
2) Do I apply octave smoothing or EQ filters?
3) What is the appropriate EQ level.

Thanks

Graph 1 - Sub Firing at SPL.

Graph 2 - Sub Firing at Wall

·
Super Moderator
9,252 Posts

Impossible to say – as I noted, if both these measurements are from the same sub, there should be virtually no difference between the two measurements. Subs are omnidirectional, so it matters little-to-nothing which direction they face. Until you can resolve that glaring discrepancy, we can’t assume which measurement is valid.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I am confused now. I. Spoke with Svs technical support and was told that it is completely possible for the curves to vary based on the location of the sub. Is this totally wrong? Assuming, the flatter graph is the correct graph, what steps should I take within room eq?

I plan to retest when I get home tonight...

·
Super Moderator
9,252 Posts

Well sure, you’ll get different graphs with the sub at different locations. But you didn’t say the two graphs were taken with the sub at different locations. You only said you turned it to face a different way. That implies that both measurements were taken at the same location.

Regards,
Wayne

1 - 6 of 6 Posts