Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have a goal of building 2 subwoofers for our family room... I listen to a lot of music, so fidelity is important. We also watch movies, tv, etc... and these will be hooked up to a 7.2 surround system. I was hoping to do one sealed enclosure for the front of the room (don't have a lot of space, but could do a small ported), and one ported for the back corner of the room. I know this is a silly question, but what are overall impressions of the Ultimax vs Titanic MK IV for sealed vs ported, and for fidelity, but still low bass. FYI, I am using (because I have them) 2 Dayton 500 Watt plate amps. So, that is another limitation perhaps??? Anyhow, any input at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! Oh, yeah, and 12" driver is ideal for me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Run them in WinISD to get a feel for the size of the box you might need.

Based on your AMP limit of 500W.. I did a quick check with the MK4 and 80-90 litres sealed nears Xmax at 10Hz. Assuming the Dayton Amp could output anything near that at 10Hz. Remember that the calculated volume means internal net (after diver and bracing)

I prefer sealed over ported but unless you have some form of EQ you will get a down slope from about 30Hz. Sealed is also an easy build - square box with a hole for driver.

Check your 'max' box size and put that into WinISD along with 500W, then check your SPL and cone excursion. If you happy with the 'on paper' results go with that.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input... I have been putting lots of driver and box combos in BassBox Pro, with fairly good results, but not necessarily what I expected.

But you said something that interested me... "I prefer sealed over ported but unless you have some form of EQ you will get a down slope from about 30Hz."

That made me wonder what kind of Equalizer you might suggest, and how much will it/can it effect the bottom end... What kind of boost can you get out of an eq? I've thought a lot about eq's recently, but don't know what are selections available for purchase, especially that can run 2 subs. Anyhow, thanks so much and any further input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You might want to look at getting something like the Velodyne SMS-1 to automated your EQ.

Before you think about getting a DIY EQ you will need a way to measure your in room response.
Look at Cross Spectrum for calibrated mics.
Since you already have two Amps then I suggest getting a MiniDSP.
Should you ever look at upgrading your amps then look at the Peavey or Behringer iNuke DSP series.

I have both the MiniDSP and iNuke 6000 DSP.
The DSP allows you to do some EQ. Ideally you want to be careful with adding/boosting too much at the the AMP probably won't be able to deliver. Where it can be useful is in removing peaks in order to provide a flatter response. Both are really easy to use.

The MiniDSP allows EQ up to 10Hz.
The iNuke allows EQ up to 20Hz (but you can do some stuff that will impact response below that)

Unless you have a great room and/or great acoustic treatment doing EQ is a great tool to getting a better in room response.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts