Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been posting on AVSforums for a couple of years, and I was punted here for enlightenment. I recently upgraded from a 10" Velodyne DLS-3750 to a SVS PC12-PLUS. I was on the verge of returning the PC12+ when I decided to give this PEQ stuff a try.

What and WHERE do I need to go to buy the stuff needed to get my sub calibrated for hopefully less than $200. I already have a new RatShack SPL meter. Thanks! BTW, I have seen the links to the REW page.

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Dont forget cables guys. Does the op have them? You will need at least 2 phono to 3.5mm headphone jack cables, and if you want to calibrate your sound card, at least a single stereo 3.5mm jack cable. If you want to follow the guides exactly, you will need a couple extra bits and pieces too.

Not sure what you do and dont have though so let us know. Good news is all the required cables are very cheap.

Oh, and welcome to the shack :T

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was able to get the dual male plugs and have the headphone and microphone jacks on my laptop connected. I ran the "SOUNDCARD SET-UP/CALIBRATION"; however, my graph looks crazy...like a cornucopia (that Thanksgiving style basket). I have tried all the recommendations the programs says, but it still makes that crazy looking graph. I even have the input and output levels matched. What am I doing wrong?

·
Super Moderator
9,289 Posts

... and have the headphone and microphone jacks on my laptop connected. What am I doing wrong?
Sorry, can’t use the sound card mic jacks – you need line in jacks.

If you have the Radio Shack meter, then all you need is a sound card with line inputs and outputs. If your computer doesn't have one, it's no problem finding outboard USB cards for under $100. Just make sure it's compatible with your OS.
Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Wayne! Sorry, I did not understand that technical part of your first answer. So, it seems that I need to get an external soundcard that will connect via my USB...right? Do you know the cheapest workable option? Thanks for your patience and help :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm using Behringer U Control UCA202 USB Audio Interface.
It can be found for around 30 bucks. Seems like the cheapest option.
I'm still a new user too, but it seems to be working properly.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm using Behringer U Control UCA202 USB Audio Interface.
It can be found for around 30 bucks. Seems like the cheapest option.
I'm still a new user too, but it seems to be working properly.
So, this would meet all the requirements for input AND output to use REW w/ my 3 year old laptop??

·
Registered
32 Posts
So, this would meet all the requirements for input AND output to use REW w/ my 3 year old laptop??
Yep, plug the usb cable to your laptop, turn laptop volume all the way up, and then you need 2 rca cables. 1 plugs into the side of your radioshack meter and goes to the soundcard's "input" jack. The second goes from the soundcard output to one of the rca imputs on the front of your reciever.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep, plug the usb cable to your laptop, turn laptop volume all the way up, and then you need 2 rca cables. 1 plugs into the side of your radioshack meter and goes to the soundcard's "input" jack. The second goes from the soundcard output to one of the rca imputs on the front of your reciever.
Awesome, thanks! I hope Fry's has it, otherwise I will get it from Amazon. So, to calibrate the Behringer UCA202 I will have to connect the input to the output and run the calibration measurements. Do I do the soundcard calibration with a stereo connection (both red and white jacks used), or pick just ONE of the line inputs/outputs. Wow, so the only wires I would need is 2 simple RCA cables??? No fancy 2 to 1 OR 1 to 2 RCAs?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts