Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I just moved into a home with a dedicated (albeit somewhat small) dedicated theater in the basement. Because of this, I just bought my first front projector. I am so pumped :jump: Funds are kinda tight right now, so I am looking for a DIY screen, and also I am looking for simple. I don't need the most complex difficult to apply paint coloring just to squeak out the last 2% of performance. I would really like to use a roller. I would like to paint onto something like BOC, unless I can get better easier performance from some other Home Depot/Lowes bought screen substance.

My projector is a Marantz VP-8600. I opted for an older high quality 720p projector vs. a lower cost 1080p projector. This unit originally sold for $4000-$5000, but I got it for $750 refurb. The thing is huge (about the size of a small receiver) and weighs about 27 lbs. Hopefully that somewhat equates to better quality. The image looks great!

Looking at a previous thread from wbassett, I compiled some info that hopefully should be helpful.

1) Lumen Rating: 800 ANSI lumens (Although this unit, in its best mode is supposed to be brighter than the Marantz 4001 which is rated at a higher lumen rating)

2) Contrast Ratio: 2500:1

3) Screen Size: 110" diagnol

4) Viewing Conditions: My room is 17' x 12' x 8'. I sit back 12' and the projector is wall mounted behind me, so the lens is about 16' from the screen. My walls are a light caramel color and the ceiling is white. I hope to paint these much darker later, but that won't happen for a while. I have total light control. I may want some ambient light for sports, but I would much rather optimize me setup for movies with light control. As I said above, I am currently projecting onto a BOC. I just calibrated my system last night with DVE, and it looks slightly dim, but that might be the proper calibration vs. the need for more gain because before I calibrated, it looked much brighter.

Again simple and rolled is better.

Any thoughts would be great!
Greg

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Hi Graig,
I did a very simple mix seen here in this thread. It is now been critiqued a bit and is being called "cream and sugar" mix and works very well. I applied it with a roller 3 coats and it works fantastic.

·
Registered
21 Posts
C&S would work for you, I painted some samples with it and it's great. BOC seems like it might be hard to stretch and keep taut, but I'm sure it can be done.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Hi Graig,
I did a very simple mix seen here in this thread. It is now been critiqued a bit and is being called "cream and sugar" mix and works very well. I applied it with a roller 3 coats and it works fantastic.
I would like to make one slight correction Tony. I'm not dissing your mix in any way (in fact, you made yours before I made Cream&Sugar), but your mix isn't C&S. I used Craft Smart Metallic Silver paint and you used the silver metallic by Behr. While the Behr silver may work well (I don't know, I haven't tried any) it is a mica-based silver while the silver in C&S doesn't appear to be. The mica-based silvers I have tried (the Behr product wasn't one of them) have all had a pronounced prismatic effect (acting like little glass prisms that break white light up into colors). Whatever is in the Craft Smart Metallic Silver does not show a prismatic effect.

While your mix might not be C&S, it sure is a kissin' cousin!:T

1 - 5 of 5 Posts