Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just built a seventeen cubic ft box with a crown XTI-2000 amp with an Onkyo 605 receiver , the wiring is 8 ohms bridged and I am getting some kind of fluttering sound from the speaker at both low and high volumes.:wits-end: It doesn't play loud and my port may be too close to the driver but the fluttering sounds like it is coming from the speaker. Could it be that the speaker is bad(speaker has never been hooked up before, first time using it). Should I be running it in 2 ohms into channel one instead of 8 ohms bridged? Any ideas???

·
Registered
565 Posts
I just built a seventeen cubic ft box with a crown XTI-2000 amp with an Onkyo 605 receiver , the wiring is 8 ohms bridged and I am getting some kind of fluttering sound from the speaker at both low and high volumes.:wits-end: It doesn't play loud and my port may be too close to the driver but the fluttering sounds like it is coming from the speaker. Could it be that the speaker is bad(speaker has never been hooked up before, first time using it). Should I be running it in 2 ohms into channel one instead of 8 ohms bridged? Any ideas???
I just sent back a brand new Onkyo 875 because it was a piece of junk. None of the audio quality was good, the sub pre-out didn't give me any output, the second HDMI connection didn't work, and overall it was the most usless piece of trash I've ever owned. I received it last Friday for our Houston DIY audition at my home next Sunday and sent it back to the Amazon seller Monday at 8 a.m.

For the grins, I turned it up to full blast and switched channels and listening modes while at full output, and it sounded worse than my $79 KLH amp I use in my shop. I was not a happy camper and it is going to cost me $200 to return it because I certainly don't want or will accept a replacement.

If it's a new one, it could be the 605. I would borrow and try another receiver to see if that fixes it if you don't find air leaks.

Sorry.....
Mike

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
... it was a piece of junk. None of the audio quality was good, the sub pre-out didn't give me any output, the second HDMI connection didn't work, and overall it was the most usless piece of trash I've ever owned. ...
Take it easy ... don't be so upset :innocent: .... :yes: ...... :duck:

You know that there's always bad products from any brand ... but that doesn't mean all are bad (you were the lucky one to get one of those, as I was a lucky winner when I bought my Pontiac lemon :bigsmile:)

You'll see everything will work out fine ... :T (Did they tell you was is the problem with the receiver :hide:)

·
Registered
565 Posts
I'm ok with it now because I don't want another one. I just sent it back and will pay the restocking. I've got a better quality Rotel online now.

Good luck...

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
Mike brings up a good point. When troubleshooting sub problems the sub and amp are usually the first suspects to look at. The receiver should be considered as well, as Mike's experience has shown. Brand new out of the box, expensive, and doesn't work, can be a frustrating experience. :wits-end:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sorry guys for the long reply!job keeps me going, i think i know the problem,as i was reading the crown manual,it states maxium input level 22 dBu typical:scratchhead:i start to wonder,my signal is must be to low,cause i had the sub.level up 12db,intellvolume up 15db and i ran manu.eq.with 25hz and 40hz up 6db, this is a onkyo sr605 receiver.but no funny sound when i used the crown 90hz xover, vol.still seem low, i upgraded to a xti 4000:bigsmile:which i wanted for running too rlp-18's in the further and have plenty of headroom,turned down the receiver levels to zero,results! no funny sound with more power,still low vol.took out the laptop ran syst. architect, turn up the bandpass gain plus 15db,and cranked the vol. and ordered a EBTECH LINE SHIFTER that converts back and forth between -10dbv and +4dbu,it help:bigsmile:but still vol. is down as i said before bandpass up 15db, vol.on the amp maxed and wired 8ohms bridge rated 2400w but more likely about 1900w,which is more than enough without bandpass up 15db,any way i can get the signal up more? as my little 605 seems to be not putting out a high enough signal?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PROS/CONS rlp-18 pro/450 shipped,con/a 17cu.ft. box is huge:eek:,i'am further addicted i have to run too 18's with a lower tune,but i don't have the room. i mean i do but i don't, i care how my living room looks. this is were the big bucks come in as i started thinking of THE LMS ULTRA 18,I can run too 9.5cu.ft boxes with no problem with a lower tune say around 13-14hz,i have 16.5hz tune now. are the LMS18 still around?

·
Registered
565 Posts
as my little 605 seems to be not putting out a high enough signal?
I got almost no signal out of my brand new 875 sub pre-out with two QSC 1450 amps and a Reckhorn bass management to my subs. I had to feel the drivers to see if they were even moving.

I sent it back and am contacting my cc company to credit my account if the Amazon seller doesn't.

Borrow and try another receiver.......

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
This is a common problem when using pro grade amps as the input signal they are looking for is +4 db consumer grade equipment only outputs 0db at best (usualy even less) and that makes a huge difference with how loud they will play. How are you hooking up the receiver to the amp and what level do you have the Onkyo sub out set to in its menu?

·
Registered
565 Posts
I maxed out most everything in the set up menu, especially the subwoofer.

I'm very familiar with the subwoofer pre-out mismatches using pro audio and home audio gear together. I explain this on my website.

My QSC 1450 amps (two of them to the subs) have barrier strip inputs more suited to the home audio gear's impedance requirements. I am also using a Reckhorn B-1 Bass management crossover/equalizer with bass boost, subsonic filter, high pass filter, and a main system gain control. I used my system for years without the B-1 just using the barrier strip inputs and had plenty of output. I just have more control with the B-1.

Below is a comment I just received through the Soundsplinter Houston DIY from from a member who attended the audition last Sunday:

"The sound and clarity of Mike's set up was amazing. Dynamic and powerful. The visual impression looking at the array of speakers was awesome enough; the impact of his creation was truly impressive. As much as I was in awe of the sub's - the center speaker was the star in my opinion. Listening to the demo disks displayed a whisper as clean and clear as branches breaking and even explosions; there was never a need to struggle to make out any sounds. The sub's fill the room in a wave that's felt before heard - not something that I've experienced in theaters, not the that extent.

I was excited to see the system in person, but more excited after I left. Truly a successful DIY experience and it was great to hear what's possible "away from retail."

My 2c...

Oh, thx for all the grub. Truly a gracious host!"

·
Registered
565 Posts
Woops....You may be addressing reggie and not me.....I just got the email notification. Sorry...

This is a common problem when using pro grade amps as the input signal they are looking for is +4 db consumer grade equipment only outputs 0db at best (usualy even less) and that makes a huge difference with how loud they will play. How are you hooking up the receiver to the amp and what level do you have the Onkyo sub out set to in its menu?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have my exsiting l.f.e line coming out of the receivers sub out going in to a ebtech line shifter and a mono line coming out out of ebtech to the amp,simple hook up.I thought using the ebtech would solve the problem. EBTECH Converts back and forth between -10dBV and +4dBu. Converts automatically between balance and unbalance lines,Built in hum eliminator,and i have the sub on receciver set to zero on the menu, and the Bandpass on the amp set to +15db with volume on the amp all the way up!

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Is the sub firing down in the box? When I built my Behemoth, I was getting a weird sound and thought the speakers were bad. I learned that one of my speakers wires was a tad too long and was bumping the back of the speaker cone during movement.

I have an Onkyo 805 that is awesome! Several here in the forum have Onkyo's and are very happy, so I doubt it would be it, but anything is possible. Mike... sounds like you got a lemon.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I have an Onkyo 805 that is awesome! Several here in the forum have Onkyo's and are very happy, so I doubt it would be it, but anything is possible. Mike... sounds like you got a lemon.
I think so too...they are charging me $200 bucks to restock (I mean return it to the factory for a good one) and I've filed a claim against the seller through Amazon's A-Z satisfaction gaurantee. My next step is to cancel the payment because it was a credit card purchase.

Hey Sonnie, could you mail me those chairs? I'll pay you another hundred bucks? We missed having your attendance at the audition but we understand your schedule.... :jiggy:

Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No it's not down firing,and the funny sound is no longer there ,once i decreased the sub from +12 to 0,intellvolume from +15 to 0 and the eq. in 605 menu ,the sound was gone,to much gain was putting out distortion, the funny sound is not the problem anymore ,the problem is i'am not getting a high enough signal i think! as i had to add the gain in the 605 just to get a low output ,anyone have any ideals? to get a better signal.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I got only enough signal to activate my 1450 watt amps just enough to make the drivers move. Like I said earlier, I had to feel them to see if they were moving. My yellow "driver activation" lights didn't blink once with any media, any setting, and all settings and mains set to highest they would go.....Hey... Just borrow a receiver from a bud and stick it in the for one minute! If you hear your sub you've just fixed the problem! The Onkyo is probably bad.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the thread salavsol ,going to give that one a try, has anyone used the Rolls MB 15?

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Maybe try the Samson S-convert. They go for about $50 and I think it'll take care of your level matching.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts