Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read numerous posts in this forum and other but by the end of the post I feel more confused than when I started. I also, feel that a majority of the posts are far more advanced than I am with HT understanding. I have been reading different forums and articles about HT for about two months. I have recently purchased the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1s and a Onkyo Sr-Tx 507 receiver. I was looking at different subs but I thought I could build something better for the money. I have no idea what set up would work good with these components. This system is going to be used primarily for watching sports, some movies (mostly on TV) and listening to some music. The room dimensions are (W)25ft x (D)25 ft x (H)12 ft, it also opens to the kitchen on the back left side and also opens to a hallway on the left side. I like tight clean bass but I would also like to feel it.

I would like to hear some input about what you guys think would do well in this room with the other components I have currently. If you could please provide make and model numbers as well as cost and a good retailer to get the supplies from, I would greatly appreciate it.

Like I said before I have no HT experience what so ever, so the less technical you are the better. I have tried to understand winisd and other programs but I just cannot grasp the data. Maybe I am dumb, who knows, but it is like a foreign language to me.

Let me thank you in advance for your input. I really would like to gain more understanding about HT because I have a dedicated Media Room Upstairs, which is why I would like to start with building a subwoofer and eventually the speakers for my upstairs entertainment. Also, I have a full shop of tools so that is not a problem. Budget is $400 for Driver and Amp. Please Help!!!!

Jeremy

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Please Help! New to DIY - Driver and Amp under $500

Size is going to be a bit of an issue. I did read about that build but do to the size limitation it will not work for my set-up. I need something smaller. I have been looking at the PR kits but not sure how they sound compared to some of the ported boxes. If you have any other suggestions to recommend, please do.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You might look at the Quartet 12 kit that CSS offers.

It only exceeds your budget by $30 plus shipping ($40). While it is a little more, CSS has very good products.

Also look at the "Creative Sound Solutions" site under "DIY Speakers and Subwoofers" section of HomeTheaterShack forums for build ideas.

Good Luck,

Bill C

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
The low end extension provided by PR's sound the same as ported, at least to me and I have both types.

There is a new sub that will be released shortly by CSS. It's called the TRIO 12 and there will be a preorder which includes the sub and a pair of 12 inch PR's for $199. Box size is a 20 inch cube. The sub would work well with a 500 watt amp which will put you slighty over budget.

Build one now, build a second one later when finances permit. You have a large room size to fill.

·
Registered
177 Posts
You might look at a shiva-x (150 right now) and an o-audio 500w plate amp (229) that comes in under your budget and the sub gets great reviews.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I like the CSS 12" PR Kit. I think that will work best for my current situation. I would like to know what this would compare to if I were to just buy a manufactured sub. If anyone could give me an idea that would be great. Also, what is the difference in performance between the Quartet and the Trio (besides the kit).

Jeremy

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok. I can spend up to $500. I also measured the space where my subwoofer will go. I can fit a (H)25"x(W)25"x(L)35". Knowing this what else would you recommend. Or would you still recommend the CSS Trio 12", in a bigger box to get tune it lower.

Jeremy

·
Registered
23 Posts
Remember that a 20" cube is with surface mounted PRs, giving a minimum width of 21-1/2" without grilles. The PRs are still going to require some breathing room on each side, so 25" may already be crowding it for PR. Taking up all of that space with a 3/4" wall box will give you 9 - 10 cubic feet to work with for a ported box ... try calcs on that again and see what you get.

Bill C

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Aesthetics for a down-firing sub generally dictate a shape that is columnar (taller than width), so you may have a problem with the dimensions that you have given. Take a look at this SDX-15 build:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/creative-sound-solutions/16974-first-subwoofer-build-css-sdx15-pics.html

It is SEALED, not ported, but quite impressive.

Okay, I just looked at the ed sub. Why not configure yours the same? If you down-fire the driver, you will be left looking at either the two ports or a blank side of the speaker. Port length requirements will have the ports firing out of the front or the back, not to the sides.

Bill C

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ya. I do like the look of the other sub but it does not show any internal shots of the build. Like I said before I am a newbie to ht especially diy ht. Would the sealed design sound as good as the ported. I want something that will sound good and will last. Could you possibly help me design something that looks like the ed sub enclosure. Using winisd and any other software you reccomend. I would like to somewhat understand what sub this could do in an enclosure like that. Thanks in advance.

Jeremy

·
Registered
23 Posts
Look through the members DIY database, you will find examples and construction details/methods for almost every make and type of sub. You can see examples of bracing, damping/stuffing and various port configurations (round/slot).

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-subwoofers/9265-members-diy-subwoofer-database.html

Also go the vendor sites ... they usually have suggested plans for their drivers (CSS SDX15 for example).

When Mike P gets back to this thread, he should be able to help you better than I. You will find his builds in the database as well.

Good Luck,

Bill C

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would really like to do a slotted port but I am not sure how to design this to make sure that it is adequately designed.

Jeremy

·
Registered
23 Posts
While you are waiting for a knowledgeable reply, go over to the AVS DIY Speaker forum and look at their DIY Gallery thread ... lots of good ideas.

Use WinISD, add a new driver to your list, fill out all of the TS parameters, then use that driver to model your box (Vented, 1 vent, 1 driver). The program will give you the NET volume of the enclosure, the diameter and length of the vent. (If you don't like metric, just keep clicking on the unit until it changes to something you like.)

Go to the Volume Calculator tools, they will help you with box volumes, brace volumes, port volume, etc.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/enclosure-volume-calculator/

The area of a circle=3.1412 x (diameter/2)^2 (Use the Port diameter or just change the port to RECTANGULAR and area=width x height)

Divide that area by the INNER width of your enclosure. (That will give the slot HEIGHT)

The Port and Slot LENGTH will be the same.

If you use all of the 35" depth, you will likely need at least three interior braces.

That should at least get you started.

Bill C

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have taken your advice and started playing with winisd. I have narrowed my search down to 3 subwoofers:
CSS SDX 15
Exodus Tempest X-2 15
Sound Splinter RL-P15

I will power which the sub with the 500w oaduio bash amp. The box dimensions that I came up with are (H)36"x(W)22"x(D)30" with two 6" ports 47.29" long. I was wondering which sub you would choose based on the results you found with winisd and why. Also, would this be the optimum size for the enclosure if not could someone recommend the best possible scenario and explain it. That would greatly help me out in making my decision.

Jeremy

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well, I have a sealed sub with the SDX15 that I really like, so I am biased. I haven't heard or used the other two, but they are all good drivers.

Bill C

1 - 20 of 26 Posts