Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have taken your advice and started playing with winisd. I have narrowed my search down to 3 subwoofers:
CSS SDX 15
Exodus Tempest X-2 15
Sound Splinter RL-P15

I will power which the sub with the 500w oaduio bash amp. The box dimensions that I came up with are (H)36"x(W)22"x(D)30" with two 6" ports 47.29" long. I was wondering which sub you would choose based on the results you found with winisd and why. Also, would this be the optimum size for the enclosure if not could someone recommend the best possible scenario and explain it. That would greatly help me out in making my decision.

Jeremy
Using those dimensions and taking into account that it will probably be built with 3/4 inch MDF, you end up with roughly 10.9 cubic feet internal volume. That's before driver, amp, port, and bracing displacement. Trying to fill a room the size you listed and hit your budget goal you will definitely want to go ported.

The RLP-15 models with the smallest box size, but it is just not going to cut it for that room size. It is also the most expensive and will put you over budget. The Tempest-X2 and CSS SDX15 model so close it's a toss up between the 2. Either is a good sub, I'd choose whatever one you can get cheaper. With a 500 watt amp you won't even come close to pushing either one of these to their limits, but a highpass filter is a must to prevent over excursion down low. I have read that there is a lot of boost in the O Audio 500 watt amps subsonic filter but I don't have experience with it personally so I can't confirm this. You might want to look at the Dayton 550 watt from Parts Express. It comes pre set from the factory at 18Hz and would work nicely with either of these drivers. I'm only suggesting that since you stated that you are very new to DIY and the extra $20 for that amp might be worth the simplicity for you.

With the box dimensions you gave once you figure in material thickness and driver, port, bracing, and amp displacement you're going to end up with about 8.5 cubic feet internal volume. With a slot port 2"x16" 26.5" in length this gives you 18Hz tune. First port resonance looks good at 255Hz, port velocity is under 20 M/sec and with the recommended Dayton or O Audio amp and cone excursion never goes over 19mm.

The Tempest-X2 is $219 plus shipping from DIY cable. The CSS SDX15 is $270 plus shipping from CSS.

So Tempest-X2 figure $30 for shipping and it comes to around $250. Add in another $250 ($230 if you go with the O Audio) for amp. Your still going to need about another $100 for MDF and small items. That puts it real close to $600 by my poor math skills and over budget for you. You could go with a O Audio 300 watt for $159 to bring you in closer to budget and upgrade in the future when you have more cash.

Clear as mud for you now? :rubeyes:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I could only find the dayton 500w amp. I have read some good reviews about the oaudio amp. So now I am stuck on whether I get the CSS or the Tempest. The winisd scenarios I ran where very similar, would there be an advantage for me to get one over the other with the current information that you know. If so could you please provide me with information. Also, how did you come up with the port length because when I tried to do a port it told me that the slotted port needed to be 80" long, maybe I did something wrong.

Jeremy

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think that no matter what one you go with you'll be happy with it. Me I'd get the Tempest-X2 just based on price alone. Either is a fine driver.

As far as port tweaking, you click on the little circle and change it to a square. Then you can adjust the height and width to come up with a port that will suit your enclosure and attain your tuning goal. The things to watch are first port resonance (higher the better) port length (shorter is usually easier to work with) and port air speed. You want to keep the port speed under 25 m/s to avoid port noise. Play with that until you come up with a port that works and will fit in your enclosure.

The dayton 500 is the right one. It puts out 550 watts at 4 ohms but is listed as a 500 watt. Had a little brainfade on that one, sorry.

With the size of enclosure you are looking at you should be able to build a bottom firing sub with enough room for the port on the bottom as well. Just make sure you leave about 4 to 5 inches from the bottom of the enclosure to the floor so you port and driver have enough room to breath.

·
Registered
56 Posts
It's in the main program window, middle bar where it says transfer function magnitude. Click it and select "rear port-air velocity" from the drop down menu.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts