Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Please help with audible distortion from new system set up

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  RTS100x5 
#1 ·
After saving and planning for two years, I finally set up my 5.2.4 Atmos home theater. Instead of a receiver, I purchased a Marantz 7702MK2 processor and two amps—Parasound Halo A51 and Emotiva XPA 5. Main speakers are Wharfedale Jade 7, Jade 5 for surrounds and Jade center. I have four in ceiling Speakercraft Aim7 2. I added a dedicated line for my amplifiers—2 20 amp breakers were added to my electrical panel. I connected the electronics with XLR cables. The problem is I can hear distortion coming from my speakers when the volume is moderate. When I first fired up my system, I could sense something was amiss—I developed a headache after only a few minutes of listening. I was listening using Bluetooth and switched to CDs, but the sound was still not right. I paused the track and got close to the speaker. I could hear a weird sound from my speakers—like static mixed with buzzing/electric sound. This was not just the wharfedales; I heard it from the Speakercrafts too. I am so disappointed that after all the time and effort, my system does not sound right. I’m asking you guys, the experts, for suggestions. I tried unplugging the cable box as I’ve read somewhere that it could introduce distortion, but it did not help. When I tested the speakers one by one (to trace the lines)with a midrange Sony receiver, they sounded great; the Speakercrafts sounded spectacular, too. How could a “budget” receiver sound better than $8k worth of separates? Granted, I was either testing individual speakers or a pair with the Sony. But still, how could this be? I read reviews on the Jades and they were paired with the Parasound Halo amp and the reviewer (Tom Norton from S&V) praised the combo. No doubt the speakers sound great. The problem is the electronics. I’m hopeful one of you out there could point me in the right direction.
Thank you!

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow, what a huge disappointment! I can’t imagine. :|

This should be easy to track down. Since it appears that you’re getting the problem from all speakers, and they are connected to two different amplifiers, that tells me the Marantz is the problem. An easy way to verify, if your Sony has pre-amp outputs, try connecting it in front of the amps in place of the Marantz. If everything sounds clean, then it’s definitely the Marantz.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

#3 ·
Have you setup Audessy with a calibration mic on the Marantz preamp ? were there any strange noises during this process ?? First and always make sure your speakers are wired in correct phase ...

When setting up Marantz , did you choose XLR as connection type ?

Also make sure your AC power is is sufficiently grounded... turn off AC breaker circuit and replace receptacle... ensuring wires are tightened down to screw terminals - not stabbed in the ez connect holes ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.