Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everybody, i stumbled upon this site whilst trawling the net looking for diy sub info. i am looking at building my first diy sub (or any speaker for that matter) as it seems the best bang for your buck. my listening room is a kitchen/living approx 20x30x10 feet and currently i have a pair of focal 826v powered by a yamaha amp. i listen to prob 75% music 25%ht but this may increase as my movie collection does. ideally i would like a sub capable in both areas with preference for music.

through other sites i have been recommended these drivers
- Exodus Tempest-X Subwoofer 15"
- Exodus Shiva-X Subwoofer 12"
- Peerless xxls 12" range

possibly powered by
- Reckhorn A401 SW Amp
- O Audio 500W BASH Subwoofer Plate Amp

i am a little limited by enclosure size so hopefully something not too big (or my wife will kill me!).

i have never attempted a diy speaker project so feeling a little overwhelmed with all the different options. i hope someone here can point me in the right direction.

thanks, ben

·
Registered
393 Posts
Some idea of your budget, and what you think the maximum size (footprint, and height) you think you can get by the executive committee would help us suggest options. Also, what SPL are you shooting for?

And welcome to the Shack, Ben!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some idea of your budget, and what you think the maximum size (footprint, and height) you think you can get by the executive committee would help us suggest options. Also, what SPL are you shooting for?

And welcome to the Shack, Ben!
very new to this audio/ht thing so have no idea of what SPL i should be looking at. just what it to sound really good :). footprint is probably the smallest i can get away with without detracting too much on the sound. i was looking at the rythmik site and their 15" kit needs 3cu feet enclosure which is prob the biggest i could go to ( i cut a box to size and stuck it in the lounge!).

price wise is a little difficult as im from australia. if i had to convert i would say about $500us. our dollar has really sh*t itself lately!!

cheers, ben

·
Registered
393 Posts
Maybe I should have asked what levels you normally listen at. Do you want reference levels, or more, or less? How far from your seating area will the sub be, and can you describe the room, or post a basic layout?

So a 3 cubic foot box is as big as you think you can go at this point? Any possibility of more than one?

Just so you know, I'm not the guy that will answer your questions, I have only very basic general knowledge about DIY subs, so I'll let others answer, but hopefully at this point they'll have the info they need to suggest options that are workable for you. Someone will be by shortly with subwoofer knowledge dripping out their ears, so to speak.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, i will try to be a bit more specific. ive done a rough (very) pic here

listening levels vary from normal tv use to reasonably loud music during a party or watching a movie.

not too limited by enclosure design. could go a little bigger if it means better performance.

could possibly go down the path of 2 subs later on but at this stage i would like to stick with the one.

thanks

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
Hello and welcome to the shack !

On my oppinion, the Peerless 12 XXLS (4 ohms) with the passive radiator is a good compromise. The sub is not too big and give a good subsonic experience, and you do not need a verry powerfull amp to drive it. External dimension are 16X16X16

I prefer to use 2 subs, or more, than a big one. And I prefer external amplifier to an amp plate.

You can see my building thread here:http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-subwoofers/6832-pearless-xxls-12-passive-radiator.html

And some mesurement I did with 2 subs: http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/rew-forum/8531-first-calibration-2-pearless-xxls.html

Currently, I am building 2 other subs to have 4 sub total.

JP

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i think i would like to try 1 sub at this stage with a plate amp as my cabinet is already full. this is my first diy so i am going to try and start with something easier (hopefully). are there any 15'' drivers that are suited to ht/music that can be in an enclosure ~4 cu ft (or less)? or would i get better performance from a 12'' driver in a similar enclosure?

what plate amps do people recommend? i was looking at the O Audio 500W BASH but if there are others out there better i would like to hear it. i would not like to spend any more though.

thanks again

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
The Shiva-X in 4 cu.ft. net tuned to 20 hz with a slot port 3" x 7" by 32" long powered by the O Audio 500W BASH amp would make a nice combination.

Here is the SPL graph showing 108.5 db at 20 hz with 500 watts input power. With the O-Audio amp you have the ability to boost the low end above that. You have to realize that 20x30x10 is a big room for a sub to fill. Depending on your listening habits you may want to build a second one at some point in the future.

The Shiva-X is available in Australia, I just can't remember where.

Shiva-X.JPG

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Shiva-X, in Australia can be found at http://www.audiomarketplace.com.au/ i notice they have stock of the Malx as well.
cheers, have ordered the amp from there. still deciding on the driver and am wondering if there are any 15'' drivers that are suited to ht/music that can be in an enclosure ~4 cu ft (or less)? or would i get better performance from a 12'' driver in a similar enclosure?

cant seem to get an answer on this. cheers

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
no, ive been looking and cant find the info anywhere.

i was hoping to find a winisd file but cant fine that either.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i have decided to go with the tempest and i have made a 200L box over the weekend. just wanted to ask a couple of things. in the application guide it says to have 100% poly fill. what exactly does this mean? what should i use? also what do i need to buy to hook the amp to the driver? and finally i have built a box approx 1200x450x450mm. how would you suggest i brace it. would 2 braces for each 1/3 of the box be enough?

thanks

·
Elite Shackster
1,506 Posts
Two braces should be enough for a box that size. Poly fill is the material that is commonly placed in quilts and pillows by diy crafty people :nerd:. It can be found at walmart relatively inexpensively. I assume you build a sealed box? Adding the poly fill dampens resonance and allows the box to 'appear' larger to the driver, lowering your Q and flattening low end response.

What amp did you end up with?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts