Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I just purchased two SVS 12.2 drivers from Josuah (thanks for the good deal) and I am going to build two sonosubs (basically 20-39 clones). I e-mailed Tom at SVS and he was very helpful and suggested 250-300w for each sub. He didn't like the sound of me using a 500w BASH amp without being able to adjust the limiters in the amp. Can anyone suggest a good reasonably priced pro amp for my application. Some amps I am looking at are Behringer Ep 1500, Crest 900, Carvin HT760, and Samson S700. Any pros/cons advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Derek

·
Registered
136 Posts
For me, there would be no comparison. Crest, all the way.

Did you check out the CPX 2.0? Its just off the main page. Has a variable crossover verses a fixed one with the 900. Rock solid performers. :T

Best,
Mark

·
Registered
636 Posts
The basic pro amps won't have limiters either. But you can try introducing a highpass filter into the signal if you're going to buy an EQ unit. If the Crest CPX 2.0 has a variable crossover, you could try using that as your highpass. But Crest is more expensive than some others, so you might be able to get an amp and EQ unit for less, with the same performance quality (since this is for subwoofers, and not full-range speakers).

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply,

Do the Samson S700 and S1000 amps that SVS uses have limiters? If not how come they get away with it without having a million returns from donkeys that blow their drivers?

·
Registered
136 Posts
The basic pro amps won't have limiters either. But you can try introducing a highpass filter into the signal if you're going to buy an EQ unit. If the Crest CPX 2.0 has a variable crossover, you could try using that as your highpass. But Crest is more expensive than some others, so you might be able to get an amp and EQ unit for less, with the same performance quality (since this is for subwoofers, and not full-range speakers).
Same performance quality? Doubt it very much, especially from the list mentioned, but I won't start that up here...

The CPX line is geared more for home/small venues and is a bit cheaper than the iron-horse designs of the main Crest line. If you really want solid advice tho, head over to a pro audio forum and ask folks over there which ones they would recommend.

Best,
Mark

·
Registered
108 Posts
I bought a Crest CPX2600 and I am very happy with it..this thing weighs 50 pounds...I am using it to power a twin Tempest IB... I bought it for $650.00 Can..on special.

This amp has gobs of power - Power Rating 8 Ohm Stereo: 550 Watts
4 Ohm Stereo: 900 Watts
2 Ohm Stereo: 1100 Watts
8 Ohm Bridge: 1550 Watts
4 Ohm Bridge: 2200 Watts

info

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I bought a Crest CPX2600 and I am very happy with it..this thing weighs 50 pounds...I am using it to power a twin Tempest IB... I bought it for $650.00 Can..on special.

This amp has gobs of power - Power Rating 8 Ohm Stereo: 550 Watts
4 Ohm Stereo: 900 Watts
2 Ohm Stereo: 1100 Watts
8 Ohm Bridge: 1550 Watts
4 Ohm Bridge: 2200 Watts

It would seem to be way overpowered for a pair of 20-39+ clones.

The EP1500 offers a better power match per channel.

Though the high pass filters are rather high for a domestic sub and the fan too noisy until replaced with a quieter one.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Derek's bought a pro amp already. I think he said a Samson S700 for [email protected] each channel, if I read correctly. He'll just have to find something to give him a highpass filter, like in his EQ unit or something else.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you everyone for you help. Josuah is correct, purchased a Samson SX-1200 (the new S1000). It is rated at 450 per channel into 4ohms. I'll start out being careful with the gain, and if need be I will buy an EQ with a high pass. I didn't want to be underpowered and from what I have read it sounds like headroom is indeed a good thing. I read some posts from chevy69(sp) and he said his 12.1 loved the 500watts. I think I heard Steve's voice creep in too from all the posts I've read of his, "Hit it out of the park the first time!"
Thanks again,
Derek

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
If you haven't had an SVS cylinder before you won't know (yet) how easy it is to slip your fingers between the baseplate and the driver surround to check driver excursion on heavy bass passages.

Well now you do. ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts